Going to the darkside!

hankstone

After alot of thought and mind changing... I ordered an Ultra this morning. I've got an sla-2 on the way and plan to run it through my Avatar 2x12. The cab is set up mono right now but I'm thinking I should split it to stereo... ok with 16ohm speakers or should I pop for a couple 8ohm'rs?

hankstone said:
After alot of thought and mind changing... I ordered an Ultra this morning. I've got an sla-2 on the way and plan to run it through my Avatar 2x12. The cab is set up mono right now but I'm thinking I should split it to stereo... ok with 16ohm speakers or should I pop for a couple 8ohm'rs?
Welcome :)

I figured you meant you sold an Ultra and bought a Eleven rack. :)

Welcome aboard. I held out a really long time and figured by the time I bought one (late last year) the frequent updates and improvements would be for the most part over. I was quickly proven wrong and continue to be impressed with the changes; especially the 9.02 firmware.

You're not getting much by making a single cab stereo,
ofc you will hear everything that is going on both on L and R but you won't get that stereo image,
perhaps using sum L and R on the AxeFx output page might be easier for you
instead of messing around with splitting cab or changing speakers.

Welcome tho. :)

I thought you sold and Ultra and bought a line 6. Wouldn't be the first time.

Welcome. I go into full range PA so I can't help you, but lots of dudes go the power amp/guitar cab route.

Been the L6 route... tried the XTLive, sucked... thought maybe a Vetta would do the trick since it's an "amp", not much better than the POD. If the Axe even sounds reminicent of L6 gear it'll be gone fast.

I thought I heard that the sum L/R deal has issues....

hankstone said:
Been the L6 route... tried the XTLive, sucked... thought maybe a Vetta would do the trick since it's an "amp", not much better than the POD. If the Axe even sounds reminicent of L6 gear it'll be gone fast.

I thought I heard that the sum L/R deal has issues....
It does, when using phase-inducing tricks with delays and enhancers and such you can have great fun in stereo, but it will really suck when summed to mono. Phase cancelling will then cause nasal sound.

Usual caveats: The Axe-FX can sound like anything, even like a POD if you make it so. Be prepared to take your time, lots of it. Not everyone is blown away right away, but those that stick with it usually find their own piece of heaven with it. For direct to FOH/Recording, cab selection is key and a time-consuming process.

If you're going transistor poweramp/guitarcab, then turn off the cab sims in the global menu. Browse the presets to see if there's anything you like off the bat and then chuck one of the presets you don't like (copy the bypass preset #384 onto it) and start fresh with nothing but an amp block.

just got mine yesterday and was underwhelmed by the heavy factory presets. i was thinking, oh no, a more expensive pod. I downloaded the axe-edit and loaded some user patches from the site...i an no longer underwhelmed. there is a learning curve but looking at experienced users patches is a great way to start to understand the axe process. this thing is WAY beyond any other guitar product on the market, and i'm only on day 2. get axe-edit & try raca's patches to start if you are going into a daw. there was also a diezel patch (wish i could remember who posted it to give them credit) that i used as the basis for the most monsterous tone i've ever been able to get through my daw. with a little work, you won't be disappointed.

Uh, no.... it sounded alot like a Triaxis for some odd reason :eek: . And then the Cornford thing..... "insert headbanger smiley here"

For live work, I would stick with mono -- at least, until you get your tones nailed down. You could say that I'm keeping it simple, stupid, and you'd be right. :D Don't introduce too many variables while you're learning your way around the menus. Find your tone nirvana (and it's definitely in there!), and then build on that.

i have an Avatar 2x12 cab with V30's and a QSC poweramp. The cab is wired stereo, 8ohm, and when i record or play live i mic up both speakers. It sounds great! I'd suggest going stereo....

I still haven't bothered to change over to stereo, a bit of analysis paralysis. I'm either going to swap out speakers for a couple 8ohm'rs or go with the Fractomic passives. No point in getting the powered when I've got the SLA-2... unless I hear that it doesn't sound good with the passives.

Can't decide.... so I just play it like it is and smile a lot LOL!

Long.... and expensive. I don't think I got my money back out of most of my amps, some of them hurt more than others of course. Now I've got enough variety to at least last awhile...

Back
Top Bottom