Going from Stereo to Mono

Ron_R

Power User
Hi folks!

I'm getting my new XiTone Active 1x12 Wedge in and have a question about the I/O set up.

I am currently running into Studio speakers in stereo.

When I set up the one wedge (mono), I imagine that I will have to go into the I/O settings and switch Output 1 to Mono (L=R).

Is that all I'll have to do?

Thanks!

If any of your patches sound thinner in mono, you may have a phase issue happening when Left and Right are summed; that's what "Copy L to R" is for.

i recommend leaving it in Stereo Output mode and just sending either the right or left output to the mono speaker.

summing it (L+R) can create phasing and/or cancellation as mentioned above, but selecting L->R is just duplicating the left signal to the right output so there are 4 of the same left output signal!

so why not just leave it in stereo and just use one output :)

only problems will be if you have something panning, it will now sound like a tremolo. also if you have an amp/cab panned hard right and you only use the left output, of course you won't hear it.

ultimately the choice is up to you. i don't use panning effects, so when i use a stereo setup, it sounds great, and when i only use one side for a mono setup, it still sounds great!

i recommend leaving it in Stereo Output mode and just sending either the right or left output to the mono speaker.

summing it (L+R) can create phasing and/or cancellation as mentioned above, but selecting L->R is just duplicating the left signal to the right output so there are 4 of the same left output signal!

only problems will be if you have something panning, it will now sound like a tremolo. also if you have an amp/cab panned hard right and you only use the left output, of course you won't hear it.

ultimately the choice is up to you. i don't use panning effects, so when i use a stereo setup, it sounds great, and when i only use one side for a mono setup, it still sounds great!

+1

For me it's ultimately less work to run one side of a stereo preset for mono and fix any issues there vs. collapsing all my presets and figuring out the phase issues.

Richard

When using the Modern Enhancer, don't use just one one side of a stereo signal.

Also, when using a Stereo Cab block with two different IRs, using just one side will change the tone considerably.

I use stereo as well as mono (Sum L+R) with the same presets, all the time. No issues but it does require careful planning. For example, I'm using a Ping-Pong delay because this causes less problems when summing to mono.

I avoid Copy L>R because I'd lose the mix of multiple IRs in the stereo Cab block, and it also affects some effects.

There are two ways to convert stereo to mono. Each has its drawbacks.

1. Use just one side of the signal — potential problem: you lose any sound that's on the side you don't use. That includes things like ping-pong delay, and stereo cabs with different left and right cab sims (and other stuff, too).
  2. Sum the left and right channels — potential problem: out-of-phase signals will cancel each other out. This includes the enhancer block and other blocks (for example, one of the stereo delay types inverts the left and right channels; when summed, they cancel each other out, and leave you with no delay at all).

So pick your poison. Either way is OK as long as you prevent the potential problems listed.

My favorite is when you insist on sending a stereo signal to the FOH... And the PA is only mono (usually the case) and it all sounds bad!

My favorite is when you insist on sending a stereo signal to the FOH... And the PA is only mono (usually the case) and it all sounds bad!
I'm always confused about this statement - it gets brought up every now and then. In fact, I never saw a mono PA in any of the venues I saw until today.
Of course, the subs are mono, but middle/high is almost always stereo, even if sound guys don't like stereo.

Only exception to this are usually dancefloor-type locations with speakers hanging on the ceiling.

But I agree that you should be prepared for either case.
ALWAYS check your patches for Sum L+R compatibility and you are always safe no matter what happens.
Using L>R is the lazy way out. With some tweaking, you definitely can achieve wide stereo sounds and still have perfect L+R sum compat.

I guess it's different here. Most sound systems are run in mono, except for large concerts.

I've never yet encountered a Mono PA in my life. Just as well for me as I always run Stereo. I have been called a 'ponce' a few times for requesting 2 channels though. There must be folk near you with some old PA gear...

I've never yet encountered a Mono PA in my life. Just as well for me as I always run Stereo. I have been called a 'ponce' a few times for requesting 2 channels though. There must be folk near you with some old PA gear...
Then again, keyboards are always stereo and no sound guy ever complains about that...

I see many many FOH systems that have a basic L/R setup. But check the pan at the FOH mix position. You would be surprised at what little panning if any is going on. So it basically is running mono. The efx returns are about the only thing panned hard.

Richard

I see many many FOH systems that have a basic L/R setup. But check the pan at the FOH mix position. You would be surprised at what little panning if any is going on. So it basically is running mono.
+1. Every venue has a stereo mixer, but most are running mono.

Back
Top Bottom