Global volume pedal not working

To say that using the FX8 any other way than intended is improper is in essence saying that it is wrong. If it will in any way harm the FX8 or the amp, by all means we should tell them not to do it and explain why. If it's going to have a detrimental impact on their tone or the way effects respond, we should give them that information and allow them to make the decision. If it works for them that's all that matters, if it sounds good to them it is good.

well in this case, there is a possible detrimental impact as i mentioned, when using the Post Output to the instrument input of the amp.

i agree that there are many critics, and forums and the internet in general tends to lean toward the negative in discussions, rather than the positive.

but i feel that definitely didn't happen here. as even you mentioned, i was the one who popularized this "improper" use, and i still do it today. so i can't see how i could have made it seem like someone absolutely shouldn't do it. it is a fact that it wasn't the intended method from a technical standpoint due to possible degradation of quality or mismatched i/o levels.

that is why the OP didn't find it in the manual. that's why i said what i did. and after that, i said for convenience you can use the jumper cable. but it still stands - as a fact - that it isn't the proper way to use the FX8.

if you want to tie the word "improper" to "judged for doing something wrong," then that's something you are doing. but that's about as plain-language as i can make it. but there is no judgment in my statement. it's not the proper way to use it, but feel free to continue to use it that way because it works. heck, much of the music gear we enjoy today came from improper use of things!

there CAN be wrong ways to do things though, even if another solution seems to work. and yes, i try to provide all the information so people can make their own decisions. but i definitely did not say anyone was "wrong" at all. you can choose to use the FX8 "improperly" if you want.

that said, you can still set all your blocks - including delay and reverb - to PRE, and use the Out 1 Pre Volume placement of the global volume pedal to let your delays ring out. you don't need to use POST settings and the jumper for that. Pre was made to go to the front of the amp, Post was made for the effects loop or other line level usage. that's all i'm saying.

this sort of critique of how people are choosing to help others here is what drove me away from the forum. spending so much time helping others - with ZERO return whatsoever - and people sit there and judge and critique what i said, and how i should have said it. how depressing. i don't know why i keep coming back.

There seems to be a dogmatic philosophy that permeates this forum by the "experienced" users that their way is the only way to use a particular Fractal product.
I haven't seen that so much. What I have seen repeatedly is experienced users saying things like, "If it sounds good, it is good," and "Do what works for you." That permeates the forum way more deeply than "My way or the highway."

I believe that forums are to help others when they're stuck and discover the best solution that fits their needs. We should be encouraging users to explore and experiment as long as they are doing so without risk to themselves or their gear.
That happens around here. A lot. :)

We can go around and around debating whether it should be done or not...
That's a natural and necessary part of the exchange of ideas.

I'm just not seeing the forum-as-dogma thing. The Fractal forum is one of the most helpful and welcoming environments I've seen on the web.

Chris you do great job around here. You need to not let negative comments bother you and move on to the next task at hand. I am not saying anyone is wrong around here. There are a lot of "Baters" who thrive on confrontation online, but would never do this to anyone's face.
Just my 2 cents.

there is a possible detrimental impact as i mentioned, when using the Post Output to the instrument input of the amp.
I have not encountered any detrimental impact on my tone or how the effects respond using the post output going into the front of my amps.
Chris you do great job around here. You need to not let negative comments bother you and move on to the next task at hand. I am not saying anyone is wrong around here. There are a lot of "Baters" who thrive on confrontation online, but would never do this to anyone's face.
Just my 2 cents.
I'd be more than happy to discuss things face to face with anyone. Wouldn't change what I've said or what I believe to be an issue. I have always respected Chris for his knowledge and the time he puts into tutorial videos, articles and the forum to help others, including me, learn how to use the various Fractal products. It therefore surprises me when I see someone as respected make a comment that someone was not doing something 'properly'. It may boil down to semantics but that doesn't negate the potential of the words used to be discouraging or cause the feeling someone is doing something wrong. That may not be what is intended but it's not possible to read good intentions.

Back
Top Bottom