Wish Global Looper

PumpkinKing86

Experienced
It'd be cool if the looper had a few options so that it was effective in all presets including those that don't have a looper block. My idea is to make the looper available globally by adding options to make it operate as if were the first or last effect in the chain or as it is already placed in the preset (input X, output Y, preset). Maybe put in a looper sub menu where the metronome is on the front panel?

I don't know how feasible this is or if it's the best way to go about it, but I like my idea better than going in and editing hundreds of presets to add a looper block!

I am with you on this one. Always wanted since the first AXE FX (Ultra) and I have have all of them.

+1

I like the idea and agree it seems more like a universal function like the tuner. I suspect it would force the preset CPU capacity to be a bit lower across the board which some might not like (looks like looper uses 4-5%).

A few design considerations:
  • How to migrate presets with the LPR block already in it -- maybe a LPR block overrides the global looper location (first/last)?
  • What happens to blocks already near max CPU capacity (that don't have a LPR in it)?

Last edited:
So if you had a global looper, where would it go? At the front of the grid? At the end of the grid? Between the Cab and the Delay? Or...? Any answer you can give would piss off some people and ingratiate others.

You'd still wind up having to place the looper manually in each preset... just like the Looper block we have today. ;)

Might as well force a reverb, a compressor and a chorus into ever block too, because there is probably someone who uses all those and wants them in every preset too.....

Point being, everyone is different, and while it would be great to have a few hundred presets all made "our way" as it would save us a little effort, it would also mean another person having to go in and delete a given block they don't use in a few hundred presets....

Or.. as Rex pointed out, even if it was implemented, what if its in the "wrong" spot in the chain ? Then you've got to go and MOVE a looper block to before or after an amp block etc, depending on your own taste and needs, so again doesn't really save anyone any time without also costing other people time.

Okay, they way I'm thinking about it, if I go to another preset when the global setting is in the "preset" mode, then there shouldn't be a CPU penalty with presets without a looper block, yes?

Again, IDK about the feasibility or best way to implement this... Just an idea to make looping between presets without a looper block more friendly.

Maybe what would be really useful is a way to make recorded loops stick around between presets, so if you happen to have a Looper block in the next preset, you can keep the loop going.

I'd say the obvious solution (and perhaps best) is just to use an external looper pedal. The Axe looper is fine and good, but its got some significant limitations compared to many of the dedicated pedals on the market...

Many of them let you load and store your loops, you can have the ability to have multiple loops going at once, there is one that has a bmp detector which lets the loop tempo keep sync as the band changes tempo, and obviously with an external looper you can keep a loop going as you change presets, use the fx loop to insert it anywhere etc.

I don't do a lot of looping, so I'm fine with the built in, but there is better stuff out there. I've got a buddy with a Boss Loop Station.... that thing is unreal, it lets you start and stop and layer like 5 or 6 stereo loops, each with its own dedicated control switches, so you can get really creative building up all these different parts, mix them on the fly etc.... really pretty cool

Again, not knocking the looper block, its very cool for what it is, and works for many needs, but, if someone is into looping to where they want a looper block in every preset, then I'd probably say some of the newer hardware pedals would be right up their alley

I think Boss even has a pretty basic one these days that gives you dual looping, which obviously is twice as cool as single loops, right ? lol

Maybe what would be really useful is a way to make recorded loops stick around between presets, so if you happen to have a Looper block in the next preset, you can keep the loop going.
Does it not work that way now? I haven't tried...

It did on the Axe Fx II.

Dang, I was hoping to do it all "in the box" and make looping work for all presets. It's really useful as a creative tool (using a loop at the end of a chain) and dialing in tones (using a loop at the start of a chain).

So if you had a global looper, where would it go? At the front of the grid? At the end of the grid?
You'd still wind up having to place the looper manually in each preset... just like the Looper block we have today. ;)

Not necessarily. It could be implemented non-destructively. The global looper would be configurable for a fixed location (beginning or end) when not explicitly in the preset. Putting one in the preset could override the default global location. Or there could be a global switch between use global or use preset.

It already does, so it is "kind of global" already (though not savable or on/off loadable).

i would not like a Looper block forced into every preset using up CPU.

Agreed. Could probably be mitigated somehow.

That's what I meant: savable/loadable. I didn't exactly type that though, did I? :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen that wish (several times over).

I might get an outboard looper anyway. And with the III could insert it wherever.

Other blocks have a GLOBAL BLOCK setting where you can link settings for a block between specific presets, the looper currently only has LIBRARY.

It'd be awesome if the looper block also had this GLOBAL BLOCK functionality!

Other blocks have a GLOBAL BLOCK setting where you can link settings for a block between specific presets, the looper currently only has LIBRARY.

It'd be awesome if the looper block also had this GLOBAL BLOCK functionality!
A global block is not the same as a global Looper...i

Yeah totally, however I imagine that a global block would solve the issue in a more universal / easier way.
It wouldn't. The wish is for a way to make the Looper be global... That means it doesn't have to be added to every preset.

A global block is for maintaining the same settings in a block across multiple presets. You still have to add the block to each preset.

Back
Top Bottom