Global EQ

Finnster

Inspired
Does anyone use the Global pre and post EQ on their FX8 for overall tone shaping?

I'm just curious...I have recently started down this rabbit hole.....

Post. Depends on the amp whether I run 4CM or into the front. For the front of amp, I use a jumper between Pre Out and Post In, then Post Out into the amp.

Post. Depends on the amp whether I run 4CM or into the front. For the front of amp, I use a jumper between Pre Out and Post In, then Post Out into the amp.

That makes sense.
I was cutting 16k some and boosting 250 a bit. 16k cut was subtle probably due to most guitar speakers are not very pronounced in that upper range.

It’s a pretty cool tool for shaping tone when you feel like you hit a wall on the amp controls.

That makes sense.
I was cutting 16k some and boosting 250 a bit. 16k cut was subtle probably due to most guitar speakers are not very pronounced in that upper range.

It’s a pretty cool tool for shaping tone when you feel like you hit a wall on the amp controls.
Yep. I used to cut 16k but found I lost some overtones in that range that I prefered. Some players like it, some don't. That's what makes us who we are.

That makes sense.

So would you say it's better to use the amps controls for EQing rather than the FX8? I'm asking because I have a mesa mark iv which has a pre eq (knobs) and a post EQ (built in graphic eq) and I've been experimenting with NOT using the amp Graphic EQ and using the FX8s Post EQ and I cant get a good sound.

So would you say it's better to use the amps controls for EQing rather than the FX8? I'm asking because I have a mesa mark iv which has a pre eq (knobs) and a post EQ (built in graphic eq) and I've been experimenting with NOT using the amp Graphic EQ and using the FX8s Post EQ and I cant get a good sound.
the EQ on a Mesa amp is vital to creating tones because of how it is physically designed. i would highly suggest using it normally. the FX8 is a great companion after that, in my opinion. it's almost the same as leaving all the channel EQ knobs straight up and using an external EQ for tone shaping - it's just not the same. EQ knobs (and possibly the 5 band EQ, i'm not exactly sure) affect the gain structure of the amp too, not just a completely separate EQ. they all work together.

I only use the FX8's Global eq to solve any frequency issues I have in a venue. Kind of a last step once mic placement and amp settings have been dialed in the best they can.

Back
Top Bottom