Global blocks have been implemented so that wish is fulfilled.

What about global channels? I thought this was a dumb idea until after I gave it some detailed thought. (sorry Dr. Dipwad haha)

This goes to the old discussion of...,

"Now that we have Channels instead of just X/Y, does it make sense to have Global BLOCKS, or is it more reasonable to have Global CHANNELS? ...given that a Channel is now a discrete sound that you'll likely want to duplicate to other Presets, whereas a Block is now more of a combination of 4 sounds, which you may want to mix-n-match in different ways at different times?"

The advent of Channels is really changing the way we work. I suspect there are other people who, like me, never even touched the "Y" state of any block while playing live, but who now plan to use Channel-changes (in conjunction with Scene-changes or separately) almost constantly.

I really do like the idea of global channels because I often have the same main drive settings for a lot of my patches but the next channel of the drive is a tailored/unique setting that is specific to that patch. It would be much nicer to have global channels added than require the use of another drive block for "preset-specific" settings.

Example: Having the "A" channel of your Drive block be a setting you always like to use, then B, C, and D whatever you want for that preset. Or having the "D" channel of your Amp block be set globally to your main go-to clean sound that you never change and all the other channels be your this preset only's other tones that you built. I could build my patches to demonstrate various amps but always have my unchanging lead tone be channel D of the Drive and Amp blocks.

You have to find a way for them to work with global blocks though. Can't have a global block linked and a global channel linked to a channel of that global block unless global blocks get redefined as collections/arrangements of 4 global channels. Otherwise, one would have to take precedence over the other and not allow for the other to be linked. If you do global channels, you obviously need 40 global channels to be available for each block (blocks with 4 channels at least).

If global blocks were ditched in favor of channels, your current global blocks would have to be replicated by you assigning 4 of your global channels to a block. That could really be a hassle for those who just want to call up a global block with all 4 channels already assigned.

I think adding global channels and redefining the global blocks to be collections of global channels as the best solution. Should be relatively easy to do to since the only addition on memory is the channel collection. All the other block data already exists, it's just forcibly paired in groups of 4 in a set order. Global channels would also let you make a new global block that has exactly same channels as another global block but has a different ordering of them.

Redefine global block to contain 4 addresses to 4 global channels which have their channel data for that block type in memory instead of the block object itself containing all of the data for all 4 channels.

Global blocks have been implemented so that wish is fulfilled.

What about global channels? I thought this was a dumb idea until after I gave it some detailed thought. (sorry Dr. Dipwad haha)
Dude, I don't mind!

Here's how I look at it: I'm a big believer in the platform. And, I'm a big believer in spitballing.

So I throw out all kinds of ideas if I have them: Good, bad, whatever. I try to defend each one as best I can, as politely as I can (a delicate balance).

I also try to "steelman" them: That is, to describe them in maximum detail as the very best (or at least, most-defensible) version of themselves. That way, if it's a bad idea, and someone makes a good case against it, they'll have made a good case against the very best version of the idea.

I also also try to clarify any misconceptions about them, so that if someone shoots down an idea, or just doesn't like it, I'm sure he's disliking what I was really thinking about, and not some lesser notion.

If it's a good idea, I hope it'll attract followers. And I hope they respond with fresh takes on my idea, improving it over time.

So thanks for thinking it through.

And thanks even more for contributing detail that improves it! ;)

Yes, I agree: What you want is Global Channels that can be combined into a global block.

Users will often want to form 3 or 4 "ideal amplifiers" to be your go-to Global Amp Blocks. In each one, the four channels are selected from what, in real life, would be 4 different amps.

But each of those channels is a Global Channel, because the user started the process by creating...
- his favorite settings for a Twin
- his favorite settings for a Vox
- his favorite settings for a Tweed
- his favorite settings for a Dumble
- his favorite settings for a Marshall
- his favorite settings for a Boogie

...and then he started mix-matching these in groups of 4 to create his favorite 4-channel Amps (hopefully with their own names when Named Global Blocks becomes a thing):
- Global Atmospheric Amp
- Global Jazz Amp
- Global Country Amp
- Global Classic Rock Amp
- Global 80's Arena Amp
- Global 90's Grunge Amp
- Global Prog-Metal Amp
...and so on. Many of these amps will contain the same identical channel settings for certain channels. For example, the 80's Arena Amp and the Prog-Metal Amp might use the same Fender Twin settings for their "clean" channels. That's where the Global Channels come in handy: Change one, and if it retains its "global" link, then the other Global Amps which use it will update appropriately.

And then, having formed a stable of Global Amps, the user is very well-prepared when creating presets.

He just asks: "What kind of music is this preset going to be used for?" ...and grabs the appropriate Global Amp.

The user also follows similar workflows for Cabs, Reverbs, Delays, Choruses, Flangers.

Pretty soon he has a system going, and can crank out new Presets with ease: "Lemme see; this is a Prog-Metal thing with a little Van Halen-esque thing going on; so I'm gonna need my Prog-Metal Amp, the matching Cab, the Flanger block with the VH sounds, the Reverb with the Spooky Channel...."

It's like Legos: He builds the Preset out of well-defined (custom named) bricks he has lying around in his Global Blocks inventory; and those bricks are themselves "shaped" from channel-definitions in his Global Channels inventory.

That's how I imagine it playing out.

Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom