Global CC effects question.

TonyGring

Inspired
I'm so happy. I was able to configure my Axe and GCP together for a " virtual amp & stompbox" type setup. I'm using the 4 patch / 8 IA button configuration. Right now I've set it up so that the 1-8 IA buttons are dedicated to global effects. Each effect is in bypass mode. The 1-8 buttons are dedicated to specific effects and are set to global so they will toggle on/off in ANY patch that contains those specific effects. Button # 1 toggles chorus on/off. Button # 2 toggles delay on/off, etc. So here's my question. What if I want to toggle on/off an effect that is in a patch that is not one of the eight I have globally assigned? Can I set a patch up to have my 1-8 IA buttons toggle on/off effects as they're laid out in sequence? Do I need to get out of the global approach? Can I assign the IA buttons to toggle on/ off effects in an individual patch? Example: one patch might be comp>wah> drv>amp>cab>trem> delay> verb. The next patch might be EQ>Flanger>rotary>MTD>amp>cab>Phaser etc. Can the IA buttons be assigned to each effect as they exist in sequence in the particular patch? i.e. # 1-comp, # 2 -wah, # 3- drv, # 4-trem, # 5-delay, # 6-verb on the one patch, #1-EQ, # 2- Flanger, # 3-rotary, etc. on the other patch. Just wondering. Thanks for any help!

TonyGring said:
Can I assign the IA buttons to toggle on/ off effects in an individual patch? Example: one patch might be comp>wah> drv>amp>cab>trem> delay> verb. The next patch might be EQ>Flanger>rotary>MTD>amp>cab>Phaser etc. Can the IA buttons be assigned to each effect as they exist in sequence in the particular patch? i.e. # 1-comp, # 2 -wah, # 3- drv, # 4-trem, # 5-delay, # 6-verb on the one patch, #1-EQ, # 2- Flanger, # 3-rotary, etc. on the other patch. Just wondering. Thanks for any help!

I believe this is not possible on GCP

You can do this. Probably, a mix of global and per preset IA switching is what will be most effective. If you do all per-preset, you'll likely never know what switch is what. Also, you'd have to program that in every preset. If you do most things global and have one or two that are per-preset "specials" it will be easier.

I find it really important to ask what you'll REALLY USE. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Yeah, I get that. I'm most comfortable with having global presets. But it is possible to program per patch IA's as well? Linky or 'splain? I could just label the IA button delay/rotary and just know which was which in the patch right? Thanks for your help. I'm already much farther along than I thought I would be.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1138

I asked the same question.
It looks to me that I have 8 buttons, midi cc 1-8 for example.

I choose a desired effect for each cc number in the axe-fx. This seems to be global parameters, it does not change when you change patches. That's why I think it is impossible.

But javajunkie then say's: "You can use the bypass modifier on the axe-fx"

I'm not sure what he means by that, sorry.

Ikarus said:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1138

I asked the same question.
It looks to me that I have 8 buttons, midi cc 1-8 for example.

I choose a desired effect for each cc number in the axe-fx. This seems to be global parameters, it does not change when you change patches. That's why I think it is impossible.

But javajunkie then say's: "You can use the bypass modifier on the axe-fx"

I'm not sure what he means by that, sorry.

If you go to the bypass parameter of an effect you will see a []. If you press enter while on the bypass parameter, it will allow you to attach a modifier. If you make the modifier and external controller and assign that external controller a CC# which is assigned to an IA button, you can use that IA button as bypass switch. This will override the normal bypass function of the block and allow it to be controlled by another button.

I think I'll just try to keep it simple. Like it is now. I can always change later. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Just get a little cretive.

I use the same method - though with a Rocktron All Access so I have 10 IA buttons.

Some are assigned to "multi" fX.

I have dedicated buttons for:

Comp
Drive 1
Drive 2
Filter 1 (Null pre amp for an amp boost)
Filter 2 (Null post amp forvolume boost)
Delay (both multi and standard are assigned ot the same controler - I wont use both in one patch)
Reverb
Chours/Phaser/Flaner are assigned to the same button. Its unlikley Ill use more than 1 in a patch - and if I do chances are Ill want to turn them on together anyway.
Rotory/Tremelo - ditto above

My last button is spare and is used for any special FX. i normally use it for an EQ (graphic or Para depending) to either give me a mid boost/cut - or to compensate for different guitar levels - BUT - If I need another FX to be switchable I can assign it here for that patch only.

You could taylor this for 8 IAs by taking out either there-amp filter or one of the drives as need 3 gain boosts, and the post amp filter (replacing it with a pedal set to volume control).

Aha. I think I understand now the bypass modifier trick. I'm gonna test it tonight just to be sure.

After using the Axe and gcp for a few months I came to the conclusion that switching between presets is much more productive for me. Since I never change sounds unless its a dramatic change and that means dancing on the pedalboard or just make another preset to switch to.

Cliff has been very diligent in making the switching speed faster between presets and I'm very happy with it. At least in a band situation.

Back
Top Bottom