Global cab sim on Out1 , no cab sim on Out2

yek said:
I don't get it. It's not complex at all to add a CAB block at the end of the chain for Output1, and to split the signal before that Cab Block into a separate row and add a FXL block there (Output 2, no Cab). It's a matter of merely seconds. Like this:

--------CAB-[OUT]
\
\---FXL- [OUT]

ok, I'm having some trouble with this setup...

Global GE's are neutral. Copy Out 1 to Out 2 is OFF. Global cab is ON.

Drv -> Amp -> Cab is going to out 1 which in turn is going to Mixer and I'm listening thru headphones. Sounds great!

The moment I split the signal like above bypassing the cab, shunting all the way to o/p and add a FXL, the sound through my headphones turns into sort of a line level signal. Thin, buzzy, like I'm plugged into the return of an amp. How can I keep the outputs separate?

thanks
Sam

Taking a wild guess, the ascii illustration could be misleading...
The FX Loop should not have a line connecting it to the output.

I made it too difficult. Stick to one row, FXL as next-to-last block and Cab as last block.
Now Out1 is with the cab sim, and Out2 without. No need to mute anything.

yek said:
I made it too difficult. Stick to one row, FXL as next-to-last block and Cab as last block.
Now Out1 is with the cab sim, and Out2 without. No need to mute anything.

Hmm, that's weird. I thought a row was for one o/p. I'll give this a shot. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Works like a Charm! :mrgreen:

I'm scrolling through presets and some of them have cabs as the last block. Inserting a FXL before this would work perfectly fine to have a "cab-less" o/p 2. However, there are many presets where there's are many effects AFTER the cab. In such cases, adding a FXL before the cab would mean that I cant make use of those "post-cab" effects.

In one such preset, I moved the cab to the very end and inserted the FXL right before it. I did not notice much difference playing through my stereo system at least between the cab before those fx's and cab after the same fx's. So, irrespective of whatever effects are placed after the cab, is the cab always the final tone shaper? *confused* :?

emperor_black said:
In one such preset, I moved the cab to the very end and inserted the FXL right before it. I did not notice much difference playing through my stereo system at least between the cab before those fx's and cab after the same fx's. So, irrespective of whatever effects are placed after the cab, is the cab always the final tone shaper? *confused* :?
No, it isn't. But if the cab block doesn't introduce nonlinearity (cab block drive at 0) and the cab block is in stereo mode, what's going to change?

Search for LTI.
Often it doesn't matter if FX are before or after the Cab block but there are exceptions.

Seems to me a solution could be two tweaks, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort:

1. Global cab as suggested.
-- But you'd still need a cab block in your signal chain and you'd have to select global cab 1 or whatever, which ain't much simpler than just picking a cab IMHO, or just saving your favorite cab via effect recall and dropping it in.

2. Have a global setting for "output 2 ignore cab block", so you don't have to use fxl at all, and this way you could have post-cab effects going to the board.
-- I don't know if this is even possible, because I can't see how the axe can "subtract" the cab emulation. I suspect that behind the scenes it would somehow have to process a totally separate signal chain, which would probably exhaust the cpu.

I use the traditional fxl method, and I use at least 4 banks of 10 patches live. I'm no programming genius, and I've got a day job and five kids, so any time-saver is nice for me. But I don't see these global settings, even if they would work, saving me significant time.

Best time-saver: come up with a "template" patch with every reasonable effect you think you'd use, to include your favorite cab, effects, parallel side-chains, the works. Use that as a template for evey new patch, and fill in the blanks. You just create shunts for stuff you don't use. That saves hours of time!

yek said:
Search for LTI.
Often it doesn't matter if FX are before or after the Cab block but there are exceptions.
that clears things up. Thanks! BTW, I see that this topic has been visited multiple times in the past. :lol: Anyway, for my brutal death metal tones, I dont need too many effects. I'll just ignore any post cab tone shaping fx's and move cab to end and insert a FXL before. :)

jojo said:
Best time-saver: come up with a "template" patch with every reasonable effect you think you'd use, to include your favorite cab, effects, parallel side-chains, the works. Use that as a template for evey new patch, and fill in the blanks. You just create shunts for stuff you don't use. That saves hours of time!

That's what I do. And sticking to the same patch layout (just bypass blocks that you don't use) speeds up patch switching as well.

yek said:
jojo said:

That's what I do. And sticking to the same patch layout (just bypass blocks that you don't use) speeds up patch switching as well.

Not only improves switching, it makes sure that your spillovers work flawlessly. I play 3-piece and use lots of delay effects, including crystals for faux-synth effects. Spillover is a major big deal to me and I wouldn't have bought the axe without it (in fact, I bought it as soon as I downloaded the manual and saw that it would do it).

jojo said:
yek said:
jojo said:

Not only improves switching, it makes sure that your spillovers work flawlessly. I play 3-piece and use lots of delay effects, including crystals for faux-synth effects. Spillover is a major big deal to me and I wouldn't have bought the axe without it (in fact, I bought it as soon as I downloaded the manual and saw that it would do it).

Are you guys sure about the patch switching speed up? Cliff said he was thinking about doing it but it never was in the release notes. I have not tested it. I guess I will today :)

I checked dropout times a few weeks ago: no difference switching from identical vs. different layout. CPU usage of the new preset seemed to be the only influence on the gap (ranged from around 10 to 24 ms), so to minimize it only use the blocks you need in a preset.

Bakerman said:
I checked dropout times a few weeks ago: no difference switching from identical vs. different layout. CPU usage of the new preset seemed to be the only influence on the gap (ranged from around 10 to 24 ms), so to minimize it only use the blocks you need in a preset.

I got the same thing here.

Back
Top Bottom