Gigs from hell...

I can sum up... all the gigs involving a wedding coordinator... :D

Seriously, though, I haven't had too many... the ones where you've gotta load in the PA while you're sick always suck, but so far I've been able to call on a friend for help. There've been a couple where the load-in itself was a chore, but those usually just make me sleep better that night.

Oh, I think the worst for me was when I'd forgotten that I had to have some charts done by a certain date for a client and had to stay up all night to get them done, right before an afternoon wedding gig (delivered them on the way). The gig itself went fine, but I was so tired on the drive home that the lane bumps woke me up a couple times. :shock Despite how I felt at the time of the Skylab Fallout incident, driving home from this gig is probably the closest I've come to death, and it changed my views on the importance of getting enough sleep. Now that I'm not freelance, my schedule's a bit more controllable, but I still turn down morning shifts when I know I'll be working late the night before.

We were a pretty popular cover band doing top 40 hair band stuff back in the mid 80's that played a 16 week circuit ranging from Illinois to Nevada. Our agent booked a gig in Rawlins Wyoming. The stage was the size of postage stamp and the oriental guy that owned the place seemed pretty shady from the get go. The gig was for 1 week with an option for the second week (we had never played a gig with an option before and this was a new room for the agency). The owner was pretty demanding (nice way to say total asshole) about volume and content, he wanted look at our songlist and decide what songs we would be playing each nite. About half way through the first week a guy named Bob who owned a club down the street approached us and asked if we were available the following week, I explained that we expected to be at this club, Bob smiled and said if anything changed we could give him a call & he gave me his number. Sure enough Saturday nite when we were getting paid for the first week the club owner told us he wasn't gonna pick up the second week saying that the crowd didn't like us (the club was packed every nite), so we called Bob (the other club owner) and he picked up the second week for $200.00 more. While we were setting up Bob said that the oriental guy pulled the same thing with every band and thats how Bob got most of his bands.
Bob was great to work for, he fed us plenty of booze and put us up in a better hotel, and we had the same crowd from the previous week. The second week was a blast, but we never went back to Rawlins and threatened to fire our agent if anything like that happened again.
We never did understand what the oriental guys malfunction was.

1996. Sedalia, Missouri. I was in a KISS tribute band based in Kansas City, Missouri called KISSED, playing the Ace Frehley part. So 1/2 way through the show, with the costume and 7 inch platform boots on and a face full of greasepaint, some assclown decides it's be a good time to shout out a request for Megadeth. Followed by some other yahoo screaming for Lynyrd Skynyrd....Ah, Sedalia...you funny little town, you. We used to swipe our between song raps straight from the live albums and tons of bootleg videos. So for anyone familiar with KISS Alive II, we did the Paul Stanley intro to "Ladies Room" verbatim..."Alllriiight!! We got some good lookin' girls!"..etc. Someone in the crowd shouted, "Are you drunk?!?!" To his credit, he was right. There weren't any quality females in attendance at that evening's performance. LOL But c'mon, people! Play along! LOL

"Alllriiight!! We got some good lookin' girls!"..etc. Someone in the crowd shouted, "Are you drunk?!?!"

lol.gif

not one particular gig.... but this scenario has happened a few times..

you take a flight at 09:00
means you need to be at the airport at 07:00
which is an hour drive away plus you need around an hour headroom for parking / crap traffic / transfer to the terminal etc..
so you need to leave home at 05:00
which means you have to be up at 03:30
eat / get clean / checl you have absolutely everything [twice] / load the car..

the flight is 3 hours so you land at 12:00
but there's an hour time diff so it's actually 13:00
but the time you're met by the crew in the airport and got to the bus it's 14:00
you have a 4 hour drive to the first show [inc a little coffee / snack / piss break
you arrive at the venue at 18:00 and go straight into the sound check
setup / soundcheck is done by 19:30
you go to the hotel and by 20:30 you're checked in [done the 3 S's] and ready to eat
by 21:30 you've eaten..
you go on stage somewhere between 22:00 and 22:30
you try as best you can to put on a show that is at least marginally better than wandering around the stage like a zombie
inc the encore you're done by around midnight
you do an hour or so of "meet 'n' greet" with the fans..
around 02:00 to 02:30 you start breaking down your rig
you finally get back to the hotel around 03:00 to 03:30
completely and utterly fkd

the next day you have a soundcheck at 17:00 and face a 6 hour drive to get there
and so on... and so forth...
problem is... the first day killed ya.. and you never get a chance to catch up...
so you stay on the back foot the entire tour

and then you hear that song...
"fk yeah I wanna be a rock star!!"

yeah right.. lmao

EDIT: then the phone goes 6 months to a year later..
"yo Clarky, you free in August?? we're setting up a tour??"
and I reply "fk yeah ! ! !"
and I get all excited about it.. lmao

I am clearly completely stupid
it seems to me that the time and money invested in my education was completely wasted..

Last edited:
Had a gig booked, it was a bit of a hike for us to go around the other side of the mountain.. Anyhow, booked the PA, a small truck to cart the gear... All fired up..rocked up and they hadn't done anything to get people and so sent us on our merry way.. I rung the local bikeys and got a gig alas the night was dampened by coming across an accident where a young girl was killed.

Oh and another slack ass publican who didn't advertise so we had three people!! Woo hoo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Was playing a small one room bar in the middle of dirt-road nowhere. We had full PA and everything. The owner thought it "looked" way too loud when we were loading in. When we started our first song she walked over and motioned to us to "turn it down!". 2nd song in... still too loud. "Keep it down boys!" she said. By third song in the mains were completely off. Our drummer was using an electronic kit and I could hear the sticks hitting the pads over everything else... until a patron dropped a quarter into the jukebox. Now it was louder than us. lol! It was a rather insulting night to say the least. Only played there once.

Did a gig in the late 80's, we played all the hair band tunes. I don't remember who booked us there ,but the name of the place was The OK Corral.Everybody was wearing cowboy boots and cowboy hats and ready to line dance.It was a long night:D

Having 7 stitches in the palm of my left hand 5 days before an opening set for Warrant. The show must go on and it did. I played very well considering but the wound was bleeding by the time the set was over.

I did an outdoor gig where the canopy flew off in a gust of wind just before the heavens opened up and poured a few tons of water all over our gear and us.

Mid to late 80's. Cover band doing 80's rock. We traveled the east coast club circuits, Florida to DC. We carried full production ( club sized ). 60 PAR can show on aluminum trussing, drum riser, 4 18" subs, mids, horns, stage gear etc.

We traveled in a fairly new model Dodge Caravan and carried the gear in an old 1964 24' cab over box truck. We would rotate shifts. Two in the equipment truck and the rest in the caravan. 5 band members and 2 on the crew.

It's sometime in the winter. We're heading out for a few weeks. First gig is Johnson City Tenn which normal drive time should've been only 2.5 hours from our home town. But factor in that old truck, the mountains and a possible winter storm moving into the area. The equipment truck left an hour or two ahead of the caravan which I was in. The plan was for it to get ahead of the storm and the van to catch up. We weren't scheduled for load in and sound check till noon the following day.

The van got a late start but made good time. Our light guy (sober) was driving while the rest of the van was let's say in a festive spirit. Around the half way point we started hitting the snow front that was forecasted. As luck would have it we were deep in the mountains, snow coming down so hard we could barely see the road and it had gotten dark. We made a brief pit stop to call home to see if the truck had checked in. We thought we should've seen them by now. No word form the truck. We piled back into the van with more party favors and continued our festivities.

An hour into it we're driving up a steep winding grade at about 35 mph with the snow pouring down. Roads are solid white. The driver (only one sober at this point but always the funniest guy around) says something like "Look at those poor guys! Should we stop?". They didn't appear distressed and we were in no shape for guests so we pressed on. A few minutes later the driver says "Hey wouldn't that be hilarious if it was the drummer and sound guy?" Then there were a few sudo re-enactments going on as you can imagine with a van full of comedians. As we drove on there was still no sign of the truck so we were certain it wasn't those guys.

Some time later and we finally arrive at the club but no truck! It was the weeee hours in the morning at this point. We find a pay phone and call home base again. Yeah, cell phones weren't accessible to the common man back then.

Turns out that they called in about two hours earlier to say that the truck had broke down. They had parked it in a restaurant's parking lot that was off of the road and had said that they seen us drive by them as they walked the road looking for a phone! D'oh! So we dropped some off at the hotel. The light guy drove myself and one other back down the mountain. "Comin down the Mountain" <insert Janes Addiction here>

So two hours later we make it to them. They had found an outside electrical outlet, grabbed extension cables out of the truck along with a hair dryer or two and used those to heat the cab of the truck. And yeah, they were a bit ticked to find out that we had driven by them earlier. Oops....

We decided to stay with the truck for the few hours of dark left, call a tow truck at day break and go from there. So the five of us get back into the van. There were 4 captains style seats and a bed in the back. Some one took the back and the rest of us wrapped up in whatever we had and reclined back in the seats. Seems like we didn't have enough fuel to run the van for heat so it got pretty damned cold.

Everyone was wrapped in their own cocoons, lying back in the captains chairs. The interior of the van on top of being really cold had a dark grey lighting effect coming from the parking lot lights barely illuminating the snow that covered everything. I remember waking just before day break and looking around at everyone. It looked like a scene from some scifi movie where the crew of a deep space exploration ship comes out of hibernation. Sure as hell felt like it as well.

"The Show Must Go On!" At day break we made it to a phone, called a tow truck and had it towed to the club. I remember the towe truck backing our truck up to the club's loading area and getting to work. Talk about miserable. Ice cold, ice all over everything including the loading ramps, no sleep, hung over etc. We knocked it out though. Crashed till show time and enjoyed the rest of the week.

Ah... Good times....

I was on tour over the summer and we came to a little venue in Oregon. It was farm country and there was hardly anything around. Before we played I got hit pretty hard in the face by a 'hate mosher' (yes, I was filling in for one of THOSE bands... It was a favor) who knocked my glasses off and broke a blood vessel in my face. My glasses were ok and my face stung a bit, but I was mostly fine. Eventually we started playing and there was about maybe less than ten people there. That same hate mosher took a decent sized fan and started throwing it and spinning with it while we were playing and the cord of it hit one of the guitarists. Later on during our set someone thought it would be a good idea to jump and hang from the light fixture. Almost broke the damn thing.

When we were done and packing up, a couple of the guys went and talked to the owner for our money. Before the tour, they got each venue to sign a guarantee promising us at least $200 for gas and food. They owners of the venue gave us $40. Now I wasn't part of the group who was talking to the owners, but I could hear them argue as time passed. So the members were wondering why they gave us only $40 instead of $200 and the reasons the owner gave was because "we didn't draw enough people to the show." However, that wasn't our job, it was the promoter of the venue's job. So after trying to turn the blame onto us they said "we have weapons in the back if you want to continue." At this point the band members backed off and said they would come back after the owners had cooled off.

When we were about done packing up, the venue owner (who was in his mid thirtys I might add) got his father to come out and yell at us. He was cursing at us and telling us that it wasn't his fault that our band sucked and didn't draw enough people and such. We packed all ten of us in a nine seater Dodge Ram from '88 (there was two bands touring) and drove off. Apparently they also had 'illegal substances in the back' as well. Also, this was the second night of tour.

That was only the beginning of our struggles though. Van breaking down, shows dropping, having no money, getting sick, having to panhandle, etc.

So after trying to turn the blame onto us they said "we have weapons in the back if you want to continue."

Been there. Not fun. ;)

Before the revolver came out after the bar had closed my finger had been bleeding like crazy for the entire final set. I play bass and grow my index fingernail a little longer to act as as a pick to emphasize certain phrases; I dug in a little too hard and most of my nail ripped off.

To make matters worse, I was using the opening band's bass for the final set because I had broken a string on my bass during the opening set (don't recall why my backup bass or extra strings weren't on hand that night). So I bled all over the poor guy's bass. So what little money I made went back to the opening band as a mea culpa to cover a new set of strings. All that for playing in front of maybe eight people and a bartender.

Guns, blood... it's only rock n roll. :)

Our first outdoor gig. We get hired to play for a summer party for a big company's 'giving campaign'. Whatever - its money. We haul in all of our junk plus a big PA (its outdoors) and take a good look at the angry clouds blowing in. Lots of food, ppl and whatnot going on so we hit it and figure 'what the heck'.

It isn't more than a song in before we realize that the PA is getting swallowed by the outdoors. The sound is just dead. We're too used to rooms and house PA and such. We try to turn it up but there are also weird echos coming off of buildings nearby. So we can't hear much except for what's coming back at strange delays from around us.

Then we notice that nearly everyone is either scowling at us or just completely oblivious. People are walking across the 'stage', having conversations nearby or just plain looking angry. This completely kills any hope of a 'vibe' but we soldier on. Im watching the clouds (we don't have any sort of cover), the drummer is hating the dead sound and the bass player is just.. well.. being a bass player.

We finish with our tails between our figurative and collective legs, pack up and look around for the nice person who hired us. No sign. People are going back inside and the place is emptying fast. The drummer (who got the gig) knows the person so she says she'll figure it out later. No big deal.

Come to find out that:
1) People were scowling because they were forced to be there. The giving campaign hadn't gone well and no one wanted to sit outside in the wind and possible rain but the management MADE THEM. No excuses. So they were hating the whole experience and just wanted to work and go home.
2) The person who hired us wouldn't pay because we didn't have the proper tax documents. We play for fun and if / when we get paid its just a cut of the bar. We thought we were going to be moving up in the world by getting a serious check but ended up just hating the whole process.

So an 'insurance gig' is now the catch-phrase for 'can I go home now?'.

I've acturally been pretty blessed with who I've worked with and the venues we play, so I don't have many horror stories, but when I started out playing professionally, I was playing in a classic rock band with somewhat "intellectual" lyrics.
We were offered to open for a big hard rock band on a tour.
We were unsure if we fit the bill, and there was a discussion within the band as to wether this was either the chance of a lifetime for us or a wrong direction.
Our manager convinced us that it was the chance of a lifetime, and we went for it.
We played our asses of on the first gig, but got buuhh'ed from start to finish, by a very hard rock/metal audience.
The same thing happened for the rest of the tour, 35 shows in row.
The band we opened for were a bunch of Jack D fueled a-holes and retards which didn't soften the experience.
It was an utterly horrible and grueling experience.
I still think that our band and the material was really kicking - and honestly would have stood the test of time much better than the retards we opened for.
After less than 10 shows some of the band members were losing all faith in their own abilities and became very insecure about themselves.
It payed ok, and we could all say that we had opened for this band on a tour, but it was not worth it by any definition of the word.
No one should put themselves through something like that - ever.
Perhaps we should have known better, I certainly learned my lesson, but we were young at the time.
Needless to say that the band imploded when the tour ended, and 2/5 of the band members completely quit playing music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom