Gift of tone over wrote existing patches

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
Somehow when I downloaded the 2 gift of tone patches they overwrote 2 existing patches on my rig.

It’s on my Axe Edit and on my AxeFx3 although I never imported them or hit save.

Latest firmware.

Any way to revert to my 2 previous patches?

Restore from backup? Not being facetious, this is exactly why I backup often via Fractal Bot. Not sure there is another way unless you've exported those 2 presets to a bundle for sharing.

From memory if you import a preset it will replace the existing one in the current slot. Different to when using AxeChange which lets you decide whether to save or not.

Exactly how did that happen? Downloading presets only goes to a download folder or a folder you specify on the computer. It is not going to automatically upload to your AXE III without importing or saving.

Interesting.

Hopefully, you recently did a backup that has those two overwritten presets.

As Habuman has noted, downloading a preset will not send it to the Axe-FX. What else did you do?

Another possibility is that you have associated the .syx files with FracTool, as I do. That will automatically send the preset to the Axe-FX when you double click the file, and perhaps you click it accidentally? But even then, that will not save the preset on the Axe-FX unless you click on "save". It loads it on a temporary buffer.

The only way to revert to previous patches is from a saved copy, snapshot or backup on your hard drive. If you don't have it, it is gone forever.

I did this with one of the presets. I imported the new preset and it overwrote an existing one. Had an “oh s#@t” moment realising I’d not backed up recently. However, at the top of the Preset menu on FM3 edit I found revert preset, clicked on that and it returned to my preset id overwritten. Not sure this will work for you this time if you’ve saved anything or powered down, but useful to know in emergency.

Did you import the bundle? If that's the case, you should get a screen like this where you can pick where to place it in the Axe as well:Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 7.13.29 AM.png

Anytime I'm importing presets or bundles, the first step I do is to always switch to an empty preset space in the Axe, just because what you explained has happened to me before as well. :)

Did you import the bundle? If that's the case, you should get a screen like this where you can pick where to place it in the Axe as well:View attachment 131415

Anytime I'm importing presets or bundles, the first step I do is to always switch to an empty preset space in the Axe, just because what you explained has happened to eme before as well. :)
This is the correct answer. The import preset function shows you where it's planning to put the preset (and IR if it's a bundled preset), and shows you what's in those slots if they're already occupied. You can then browse to empty locations to save to, rather than overwrite existing presets and IRs.

This is the correct answer. The import preset function shows you where it's planning to put the preset (and IR if it's a bundled preset), and shows you what's in those slots if they're already occupied. You can then browse to empty locations to save to, rather than overwrite existing presets and IRs.
Sounds from the above experiences like it maybe also overwrites the current preset, no matter what you choose.
Or folks have been reporting user errors :)

I thought even if you imported a preset it has to be 'Saved' to the patch location? Or does it overwrite the patch in that slot even if the imporrted patch isn't saved? I'm not near my Axe so I can't test this.

Back
Top Bottom