Gift of Tone #9: AUSTINBUDDY

Hey Buddy, what is the difference between the Live Gold, Naked Amps, and Dream Rigs for the Axe-FX III? I checked out your site, but did find enough information to make a decision.

Thanks!

I get the hype around AustinBuddy presets now. These sound great, thank you!

The bonus IR sounds incredible. Are there more IR captures from this same cab in one of your cab packs?

Hi @austinbuddy ! Thank you so much for this generous gift.
Question: On the Jimi preset bundle, there are 4 instances of the IR to be saved. I suspect these 4 instances are the same IR. Correct? Meaning I can get the cab to point to the same IR on each channel as opposed to 4 separate instances?
Thanks again!

Hi @austinbuddy ! Thank you so much for this generous gift.
Question: On the Jimi preset bundle, there are 4 instances of the IR to be saved. I suspect these 4 instances are the same IR. Correct? Meaning I can get the cab to point to the same IR on each channel as opposed to 4 separate instances?
Thanks again!
Ah. Yes, same IR, even though it asks for four instances (ABCD channels, but ONE User Cab IR location still).

You just have to place the User Cab IR just ONCE in your USER cabs, and then it will work perfectly. Enjoy!

I get the hype around AustinBuddy presets now. These sound great, thank you!

The bonus IR sounds incredible. Are there more IR captures from this same cab in one of your cab packs?
@guitarcal

No, this is a special mix I did from a third party RedWirez 4x12 Basketweave GM12-20 Cab Pack (with their permission to use and share publicly with my Jimi presets) and I believe the company no longer exists. So unless you have that RedWirez cab pack, you can't do other mixes.

But I can tell you guys the special sauce I used. If you can find a similar Cab Pack with these same mics and vintage (late 60s') G12M-20 watt speakers for a vintage 4x12, then you can try to mix your own in Cab Lab 3. This Jimi IR mix uses four mics.

1. M160 (vintage 60's one, not newer) mixed at 0 on fader
2. MD421 mixed in at -3 on fader
3. SM57 mixed in at -10 on fader
4. U87 "Room" mic 10-12 feet away from cab, set to 0 on fader. That's a KEY part of the sound, you can hear some ROOM in it.

Try positions for each about 1"-2" from grill and locations between cap edge and cone for the first three mics. The SM57 can be off-axis too.

I have four cab packs available through the Fractal Website (not on mine, although links are there). My favorite one includes Cliff's Dumble, that one is called "Buddy's Boutique." It has a Shiva 1x12 with a Classic Lead 80 that sounds awesome and was used a lot on the 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack. It also has a three Bludotone Cabs and a Two Rock cab.

Here's a little video about it for those interested:

Some of the "single shot" mics from this and my other Cab Packs are in the Factory Cabs in your unit, but no mixes.

All the cabs packs I did can be found here on the Fractal Website. My other cab packs cover vintage amp cabs like Fenders and some that are hard to get and not covered by factory cabs. I';m not doing Cab Packs now, as others do an excellent job and I just wanted to fill some gaps I saw in stuff we tone geeks needed.

Ama big fan of Fractal Audio as well as Justin York's IRs too - they are excellent.

What I love about the free tones/presets is that even if they don’t match my taste in music, it exposes me to the art of what is possible. Thanks all.
Yep, I just grabbed some things I like and some of my favs. I'm not really a deep metal player for example but I have had folks like Mark Holcomb of Periphery come in my studio and do some presets (on LiveGold) and helped educate me on some nuances.

I'm amp focused on my work more than artist focused -- which means 300+ amps channels times 4 to 8 sounds (Scenes) per gives you lots of color and palettes for playing fun and exploration.

But it can't be helped that when I'll dial in amp a certain way, I'll go "oh man, that sounds just like... (insert artist here)” -- and sometimes I'll put that name into the scene as a clue!

Really, I try to make a tone with the amp model that inspires me when I play it, -- and then I hit SAVE. That really is it!

Last edited:
No, this is a special mix I did from a third party RedWirez 4x12 Basketweave GM12-20 Cab Pack (with their permission to use and share publicly with my Jimi presets) and I believe the company no longer exists. So unless you have that RedWirez cab pack, you can't do other mixes.

But I can tell you guys the special sauce I used. If you can find a similar Cab Pack with these same mics and vintage (late 60s') G12M-20 watt speakers for a vintage 4x12, then you can try to mix your own in Cab Lab 3. This Jimi IR mix uses four mics.

1. M160 (vintage 60's one, not newer) mixed at 0 on fader
2. MD421 mixed in at -3 on fader
3. SM57 mixed in at -10 on fader
4. U87 "Room" mic 10-12 feet away from cab, set to 0 on fader. That's a KEY part of the sound, you can hear some ROOM in it.

Try positions for each about 1"-2" from grill and locations between cap edge and cone for the first three mics. The SM57 can be off-axis too.

Thanks for sharing these tips. I am looking at your cab packs now on the fractal website.

I’m digging the Hendrix preset with the IR. Haven’t even got out my Strat yet. I plugged in LT’s Humbucker to Strat PEQ block. Makes my Soapbar P90 neck sound very stratty. Seriously having a good time with all the GOT freebies. One of my fav freebies, not a GOT, is the Trainwreck preset Burgs posted recently.

Back
Top Bottom