GIFT OF TONE 2023 #5 - Justin Derrico

How do y’all choose to tame some of the excess noise? I love the amount of gain with the JMP scenes and the way it sounds, but I could see it being a bit too noisy for live use in small rooms I play. Is that just the nature of that specific amp beast? Or have y’all tamed it through lowering certain volume parameters? There are a couple ways to do this which is why I’m asking; prefer not to increase the input noise gate threshold too much since it changes the tone when you roll volume off

How do y’all choose to tame some of the excess noise? I love the amount of gain with the JMP scenes and the way it sounds, but I could see it being a bit too noisy for live use in small rooms I play. Is that just the nature of that specific amp beast? Or have y’all tamed it through lowering certain volume parameters? There are a couple ways to do this which is why I’m asking; prefer not to increase the input noise gate threshold too much since it changes the tone when you roll volume off
I think the most straight-forward and least impactful way is to assign a volume pedal (or just use the guitar volume)

Noisegate at Input block

Yes I used that but if you increase the threshold too much, you lose tone when you roll off the volume knob on your guitar
Unfortunately, noise gates are just noise gates, not magic. When the signal you want to keep gets down near the level of the noise you want to lose, they don't work as well.

Experiment with threshold and maybe ratio, and maybe try other gating modes, see if you can improve things for more of your real life scenarios.

If that doesn't work, shut off the gate when you're going to roll your guitar volume down a lot. There shouldn't be much noise then even without it.

Unfortunately, noise gates are just noise gates, not magic. When the signal you want to keep gets down near the level of the noise you want to lose, they don't work as well.

Experiment with threshold and maybe ratio, and maybe try other gating modes, see if you can improve things for more of your real life scenarios.

If that doesn't work, shut off the gate when you're going to roll your guitar volume down a lot. There shouldn't be much noise then even without it.
Thanks I will experiment with that. But I’m really trying to see if anyone was able to manage the noise issue manipulating output levels in the amp block, output block or amp levels.

I could also add another noise gate block b it where would be the best place to drop another?

Thanks I will experiment with that. But I’m really trying to see if anyone was able to manage the noise issue manipulating output levels in the amp block, output block or amp levels.

I could also add another noise gate block b it where would be the best place to drop another?
Output levels are just pure volume. That makes everything, including noise, be louder or quieter.

If the preset is too loud turn it down.

If there is too much noise, reducing actual gain is probably the only solution... But that will alter the tone.

What kind of noise do you hear? Hum and buzz, like from the guitar, but amplified by a lot of gain? Or amp hiss?

Try putting the gate after the amp, but keyed off the direct guitar input, right from where it comes in. Might or might not help.

Very cool preset, Thanks its awesome! You really feel the IR's (up loud), like they really are in the next room. A perfect balance for both the clean and driven channel's. I did wonder about any extra Sauce Justin may have applied, but removed to keep his trademark secrets just that :p however, cool to get a taste how he would run his presets. I'm assuming he's removed the output 2, 3, 4 to IEM's and his Power Amp running the two Bogner cabs? All good... just wondered if there was anything special setup-wise for these?

@Cooper Carter , would you be able to record a session going through the scenes, as you had done for Journey's GOT preset? theres obviously a lot going on with his levels. Fine for me as im a LP player but others seem to be struggling?
*Could you also if possible, show us the Pitch block settings (or close to it) for the POG setup Justin's using.

Last edited:

I found the lead scenes noisy. Simply adjust the noise gate threshold located in the Input block to taste. I also adjusted the Amp level for the lead scenes as I found the volume jump still too much. You don't have to worry about "breaking" anything. If you can't undo your changes, you can just reload the preset.

This looks like Justin Derrico rockin out on the Voice during a killer performance all around. But if you pause at 00:32 (32 seconds) you don’t see the FM9 in front of his feet but something else. Is it possible his Fm9 is being used but off the stage somewhere and this is just a button switcher of sorts?

This looks like Justin Derrico rockin out on the Voice during a killer performance all around. But if you pause at 00:32 (32 seconds) you don’t see the FM9 in front of his feet but something else. Is it possible his Fm9 is being used but off the stage somewhere and this is just a button switcher of sorts?

It's a BlueTooth switch that lets you turn pages on the iPad. Hands free page flipping for scores.

Trying to decide which to order so I have now completed this entire thread. Very informative. Also cool to see in the few vids at least one pro was using fm3 edit instead of fxiii. This leads me to a question. Is there a function in the axe fxiii editor or another app that will show what will be lost if trying to send to a smaller unit low FM9 or FM3. A simple list of this isn’t supported on that unit without the need for a fm9 or 3 person trying to load then digging in to see what went wrong or missing?

Back
Top Bottom