GIFT OF TONE 2023 #5 - Justin Derrico

I often import axe3 or fm9 presets on my fm3, delete what I don't want to free cpu and save the blocks I like.

it's just impossible as the imports does not work with this preset. I get an empty grid after importing.

Any solutions?

Make sure you're using the latest firmware.

The IRs were captured off of Justin's former live iso cab that used to live offstage before he went full Fractal direct.

At the risk of being the lone dissenter in the thread ....

The IRs are much too dark and woofy through my Adam AX7s .... And I'm guessing that the compensation might have been to crank up the AIR parameter ( almost 25% ) ? Unfortunately, that creates too much of an unnatural Fizz in the top end to my ears ....

Justin is an awesome player, and the tones on YouTube are some of the best I've heard ! But, my results aren't anywhere near that. In fact, it's pretty much unusable for me ( sorry ! ) ....

With the holidays up on us ..., I haven't had time to start messing w/ the Dyna Cabs to find a suitable alternative ? Any updates on what Cab(s) Justin is using now ? That might give me a shortcut to cut down my search time ?

THANKS !

He's just using these Gift of Tone IRs live, not cabs.
Cooper, is there a chance to merge these two into one IR and share it/updated bundle for FM3 owners?
It became my main IR now, but I need different second IR for my presets... Would be much appreciated if this is possible.

Cooper, is there a chance to merge these two into one IR and share it/updated bundle for FM3 owners?
It became my main IR now, but I need different second IR for my presets... Would be much appreciated if this is possible.
You can do that yourself in CabLab 4.

That's unfortunate ..., but I understand !
Why is it unfortunate?
It means that in theory we can get the same tones he uses live for FOH.
How cool is that!!!

Why is it unfortunate?
It means that in theory we can get the same tones he uses live for FOH.
How cool is that!!!
It's unfortunate because through my Adams monitors it doesn't sound anything like the YouTube sample ....

And ..., usually I have NO problems adapting others presets to my own ( Leon's, Burg's, Mark Day's, etc; and et al. ). Including I might add pretty much all of last year's G.o.T. presets !

This one seems to use the AIR parameter ( and A LOT of it ) to introduce some high-end content that the ISO cabs evidently do not have ? It sounds really harsh and fizzy to my ears and when I defeat the AIR then the preset becomes overly muffled and muddy. Pretty much unusable for me ....

I'm sure that I'll be able to find a decent Dyna-Cab solution ( ? ), but like I mentioned ..., during the holidays I just haven't had time ( yet ! ). I was hoping now that JD has gone fully Fractal that maybe he switched up the cabs he uses in the preset, and I could get a shortcut to finding something that might work better ....

C'est la vie ....

Once I've had time, I'll report back with my results so that anyone else that might be having problems can follow along ....

Last edited:
I often import axe3 or fm9 presets on my fm3, delete what I don't want to free cpu and save the blocks I like.

it's just impossible as the imports does not work with this preset. I get an empty grid after importing.

Any solutions?
There is another thread I saw last night related to this.

It's possible the Axe Fx firmware used to create the preset isn't compatible with the current FM3 firmware.

Getting an "empty" preset after loading is usually an indication that the preset was created on a newer firmware than the one you're running.

This gets complicated when it is across devices...

This preset and IR's are phenomenal! Thank you very much Justin. I will be using this preset for X-mas worship service. I have just added three more scene's.

You can do that yourself in CabLab 4.
Oh, that would be awesome! How do I extract IR from the bundle?
I tried to find how to load IRs directly from FM3 but failed. I'll try to poke around again but if you can share the steps to follow, I'd be grateful.

It's possible the Axe Fx firmware used to create the preset isn't compatible with the current FM3 firmware.
Current FM3 FW v7 work perfectly with this preset. I loaded Axe3 version and saved a bunch of extra blocks to the library.
Seems like @Joshua_L 's FM3 is not on the 7th version of FM3 FW.
I'm actually playing through stripped Axe3 version in FM3 right now, with pitch block, filters, plexdelay, enhancer block - stuff missing from FM3 version.

No synth though - and I'd really like to have it, so if anyone could pm it to me, I'd be grateful. I've checked FM9 version to see if it is there and no luck.

Current FM3 FW v7 work perfectly with this preset. I loaded Axe3 version and saved a bunch of extra blocks to the library.
I'm actually playing through stripped Axe3 version in FM3 right now, with pitch block, filters, plexdelay, enhancer block - stuff missing from FM3 version.

No synth though - and I'd really like to have it, so if anyone could pm it to me, I'd be grateful. I've checked FM9 version to see if it is there and no luck.
Maybe someone could volunteer and post blocks of all the separate effects? That would be awesome. I’m not near my unit until the weekend otherwise I would chip in 😂

t the risk of being the lone dissenter in the thread ....

The IRs are much too dark and woofy through my Adam AX7s .... And I'm guessing that the compensation might have been to crank up the AIR parameter ( almost 25% ) ? Unfortunately, that creates too much of an unnatural Fizz in the top end to my ears ....

Justin is an awesome player, and the tones on YouTube are some of the best I've heard ! But, my results aren't anywhere near that. In fact, it's pretty much unusable for me ( sorry ! ) ....
I got the same results also with the high gain scenes thru my Yamaha Hs8s .The clean sounds good but the rest is nothing at all like the video, unplayable. I don't play live so I always have to tweak live presets to my home playing most are very close to start with but this one for me also is so far out there so much fizz. I may come back to it at a later date but for now I'm going to move on.

I got the same results also with the high gain scenes thru my Yamaha Hs8s .The clean sounds good but the rest is nothing at all like the video, unplayable. I don't play live so I always have to tweak live presets to my home playing most are very close to start with but this one for me also is so far out there so much fizz. I may come back to it at a later date but for now I'm going to move on.
Fwiw, in the comments section of this link Cooper Carter says there’s a new version of the preset. Maybe this will fix your issues?

No my fm3 is updated to the 7.0 and fm3 edit to the last version too.

Back
Top Bottom