GIFT OF TONE 2023 #4 - Chris Baseford

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Chris Baseford is a Canadian record producer, engineer, and mixer. He has worked with some of the most renowned talents in the industry including Nickelback, Shinedown, Daughtry, Rob Zombie, Tommy Lee/Mötley Crüe, Avril Lavigne, and many globally-recognized producers and songwriters. With an obsession for creating great sounding records across a wide array of genres including rock, metal, pop and country, Chris’ passion for making music continues to evolve as he strives for every next project to be his best work yet.

🎁 Chris’s Gift of Tone is a Preset with EIGHT SCENES of great tone using four amp models each with its own dialed-in DynaCab from the onboard selections. Chris is loaded up for the Axe-Fx III Turbo, so look for lighter versions included for FM9 Turbo, FM9 Original, FM3 Turbo, and FM3 Original.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/gift-of-tone/

FROM CHRIS
  • Since I’m a self professed studio rat, I use these sounds exclusively for recording. My philosophy with my presets is to have a block for anything I might want, even if it’s not on, it’s there with a good starting point on each channel, ready to go. I like to build presets based on an overall sound, with the scenes used for different options. For instance, I have various presets for clean, dirty, heavy and special effects. Within those presets I’ll have a different sonic option on each scene so I can quickly audition different sounds depending on what part I’m recording. These are all starting points and once I find something I like, I’ll save to a new preset number and start tweaking for the record I’m working on. This preset combines a few of those scenes into one preset:

AC-20 – Clean, AC-20 – Breakup, Tucana – Clean’ish,Tucana – Drive
    JVM – Rhythm, JVM – Drive, Revv Gen – Heavy, Rev Gen – Lead

This gives a variety of sounds to use when producing a rock type track. Obviously guitars/pickups can have a major effect on these sounds, which is why I’ve built in EQ’s in front of the amp block and after the cab block. Don’t be afraid to tweak it here to make it work for your setup.
    PS: although I still use traditional IRs quite a bit, I’m loving the ease of use of the new DynaCabs, so I’ve included those here. Again, don’t be afraid to grab those controls and quickly shape the sound to your liking.
Fractal-Social_CHRIS_BASEFORD.jpg

Just had a run through with this preset and it's great with a very wide range of gain and tones, thank you!!

Don't forget to check out each of the blocks. With the exception of the GEQ 1, PEQ and VolPan blocks, they have different types/settings in all 4 channels! Downloaded them to my Blocks Library.

Don't forget to check out each of the blocks. With the exception of the GEQ 1, PEQ and VolPan blocks, they have different types/settings in all 4 channels! Downloaded them to my Blocks Library.
Yes, Chris clearly has a level of mastery. His preset is killer.

Last edited:
Just had a run through with this preset and it's great with a very wide range of gain and tones, thank you!!

Awesome!! Glad you dig it 🤘🏼🤘🏼. Good eye on the effects blocks :) I like having a different option ready to go so it's quick and easy to audition while tweaking... so I usually load up all 4 channels with a variety of sounds.

Tonight on my livestream I'll be digging into my overall philosophy on guitar tones, more specifically amp modelers and how they help my workflow when producing.
Might even give away a few more presets ;) 🎅🏼.
Hope to see you all there 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Attachments

• YouTube Livestream Guitars.png
    YouTube Livestream Guitars.png
    600.7 KB · Views: 9
This is pretty cool - Nickelback, Shinedown and the others are some of my favorite album recordings, from a sound and guitar perspective - super cool to 'meet' the man behind that stuff. Thanks FAS and Chris!

Wow I did not expect this level of GOT this year. Plus the “behind the scene” guys is a nice trough touch. Thanks to all involved!!👍

Last edited:
I’d love to see more from you Chris - your fx presets are AMAZING!! Thank you for giving me such fantastic insight into how you dial in the dyna’s in particular!

Back
Top Bottom