Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

Short of digging up Hendrix and having him write a preset, I'm not sure this gift will be topped.
Agreed. I've seen the band a few times in the 'Fractal Era' so this is so interesting to me. I'm quite analytical about guitar tone with Leppard since the Adrenalize tour. Their live sound really changed from there through Slang up to Mirror Ball live stuff. I could talk the hind legs off a donkey about this stuff lol.

Thanks Phil and John, much appreciated (big DL fan here...)!

Phil's preset doesn't sound dark to me in a treated room with Westlake, Digidesign, and NS10 monitors (that's with Matt's mixed cabs on FM3).

(Interesting mods on the Amp Block's Speaker page too...).

The band sounds better than ever these days, and what a catalog, happy holidays!

Last edited:
I just read through all 8 pages to see if anybody else has mentioned it, but in lieu of that: this trio of cab IRS together really surprised me, but it works very well. It’s like a dark Marshall sound with a good low mid growl, and little of that (to my taste) bad top-end sizzle you often hear in other Marshall sounds.

I’ve tried the same cab combo in a couple other presets and it sounds really nice! Maybe the nicest-sounding Marshall-style factory IRs I’ve heard.

It’s like a dark Marshall sound with a good low mid growl,
That low growl is something very distinctive in the live sound now. You know it sounds like a marshall but you know they're doing something in the tone shaping to make the characteristic different and i've often wondered what that was so to discover the three cab blend is very interesting. The live sound now is definitely a lower mids sound than it has been in the past.

Quick question for John - I'm just wondering if you have to try to stick to just using Phil's guitars that have the same pick ups and FU Tone hardware etc so it all sound similar through the Axe III rig because he has in the past obviously, used a few different guitars, the supreme, Bela, x-stroyer, crackle etc but i would imagine they must all sound slightly different through the rig or do you try and tweak the rig for each guitar?

That low growl is something very distinctive in the live sound now. You know it sounds like a marshall but you know they're doing something in the tone shaping to make the characteristic different and i've often wondered what that was so to discover the three cab blend is very interesting. The live sound now is definitely a lower mids sound than it has been in the past.
What did you think of their tone when you saw them during the Adrenalize tour? I believe you posted earlier that you saw them in 92.

What did you think of their tone when you saw them during the Adrenalize tour? I believe you posted earlier that you saw them in 92.
I saw them twice on that tour, once at the famous Don Valley Stadium show and again at Earl's Court where they did the show 'in the round'.
The guitar tone at that time is what i would describe as a mighty soaring high mids type of sound with less low end in the tone so it was quite a cutting through type of tone, perhaps a bit more processed sounding... really nothing like it is now. They were using all the rack gear back then, ducking delays and using that palmer speaker simulator which i remember Mike Shipley really recommending as a brilliant bit of kit. I don't know if they're still using that now, probably don't need to with the tone shaping options on the Axe III.

Overall they sound a bit heavier now with the lower mids tone I think

I saw them twice on that tour, once at the famous Don Valley Stadium show and again at Earl's Court where they did the show 'in the round'.
The guitar tone at that time is what i would describe as a mighty soaring high mids type of sound with less low end in the tone so it was quite a cutting through type of tone, perhaps a bit more processed sounding... really nothing like it is now. They were using all the rack gear back then, ducking delays and using that palmer speaker simulator which i remember Mike Shipley really recommending as a brilliant bit of kit. I don't know if they're still using that now, probably don't need to with the tone shaping options on the Axe III.

Overall they sound a bit heavier now with the lower mids tone I think
I saw the Don Valley show too and had seen them for the first time on their second night at the Sheffield arena the year before

They were using Digitech GSP201's for that tour. Viv hated them, he said in a later interview he'd tried to roll off some top end using his guitar were nothing happened until it completely cut off. He said it was great technology, but didn't consider it to be very musical

I just read through all 8 pages to see if anybody else has mentioned it, but in lieu of that: this trio of cab IRS together really surprised me, but it works very well. It’s like a dark Marshall sound with a good low mid growl, and little of that (to my taste) bad top-end sizzle you often hear in other Marshall sounds.

I’ve tried the same cab combo in a couple other presets and it sounds really nice! Maybe the nicest-sounding Marshall-style factory IRs I’ve heard.
Very much this! There's a very satisfying weight to it without excess bass content.

Quick question for John - I'm just wondering if you have to try to stick to just using Phil's guitars that have the same pick ups and FU Tone hardware etc so it all sound similar through the Axe III rig because he has in the past obviously, used a few different guitars, the supreme, Bela, x-stroyer, crackle etc but i would imagine they must all sound slightly different through the rig or do you try and tweak the rig for each guitar?
I do usually grab my own PC-1 if I'm working on sounds at home - it is one of his tour guitars that he was kind enough to gift me a couple of years ago (it's the one in the video) so it's a great reference for tweaking tones that we will use live. I don't typically change the basic amp tone for different guitars, so each one will have its own vibe. Once we get a feel for how they all sound through the rig, we'll figure out which ones suit certain songs. We do change it up throughout a tour, too. We also run the Fender Acoustasonic through the AxeFx for the acoustic section of the show, although it's pretty much straight in and out with no blocks engaged.

I do usually grab my own PC-1 if I'm working on sounds at home - it is one of his tour guitars that he was kind enough to gift me a couple of years ago (it's the one in the video) so it's a great reference for tweaking tones that we will use live. I don't typically change the basic amp tone for different guitars, so each one will have its own vibe. Once we get a feel for how they all sound through the rig, we'll figure out which ones suit certain songs. We do change it up throughout a tour, too. We also run the Fender Acoustasonic through the AxeFx for the acoustic section of the show, although it's pretty much straight in and out with no blocks engaged.
John, is the JMP-1 block based on Phil’s actual JMP-1 settings? Or was his modded by Voodoo Amps and the block had to be tweaked to sound like the modded one?

I spent the better part of a day going through IRs when we first got the units - it was definitely a bit overwhelming to see hundreds of cabs to choose from. I would just write down the ones that seemed pleasing to me, and then I would try various combinations of those. Somehow I arrived at those 3, although I still second-guess myself pretty regularly ("what if something else sounds even better???"). It's been that blend since 2018 though.

John, is the JMP-1 block based on Phil’s actual JMP-1 settings? Or was his modded by Voodoo Amps and the block had to be tweaked to sound like the modded one?
His JMP-1 units were stock (I think Viv's were modded). I actually didn't refer to those settings at all - I just went by ear. I pulled up a live recording that I would reference to make sure I was in the ballpark as I was tweaking.

I spent the better part of a day going through IRs when we first got the units - it was definitely a bit overwhelming to see hundreds of cabs to choose from. I would just write down the ones that seemed pleasing to me, and then I would try various combinations of those. Somehow I arrived at those 3, although I still second-guess myself pretty regularly ("what if something else sounds even better???"). It's been that blend since 2018 though.
I also thought that Rockman IRs sounded good with the JMP model. That would be interesting to hear since they have such a big history with the Rockman.

I also thought that Rockman IRs sounded good with the JMP model. That would be interesting to hear since they have such a big history with the Rockman.
Now you're going down a rabbit hole that I'm very familiar with lol. Since the band started using Fractal I've often wondered if they would consider trying to replicate the actual guitar tones from the Hysteria album, with the Axe III because that was such a different sounding album and now you have the tech to do it a lot more easily - well that would be a job for John obviously!

I don't know if the band have thought about it, but it would be killer if you could reproduce some of the Hysteria album tones just for those songs and then switch back to the current sound for the modern stuff

Back
Top Bottom