Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

Hey @jzguitar - in the video you mention that you have a preset for each song in the setlist and you do the switching.
Is it configured to just toggle the different scenes in each preset, or do you also (or ever) toggle the individual effects in the presets?

I've tried a few other GOT presets that didn't work 'right away' on my system but this one did right out of the box. A few minor tweaks to my taste and man does this sound great through my CLR's and Charvel guitar. I'm in 80's rock heaven right now.

Hey @jzguitar - in the video you mention that you have a preset for each song in the setlist and you do the switching.
Is it configured to just toggle the different scenes in each preset, or do you also (or ever) toggle the individual effects in the presets?
Hey! Sorry for the delay - just back home after tour prep. I have a setlist programmed in the RJM so I just recall different scenes in each song, then step to the next song and do the same. We used to use IA buttons to turn individual effects on and off, but since the 3 has 8 scenes available I just use those.

Hey everyone! I was asked if I would share some effects settings from Phil's rig, so here are a couple of blocks. One is the chorus in Love Bites, and the other is our typical delay setting. I've been liking the tape delay sound - I usually set a 75% ratio between the two delays, cut some highs on the eq page, and set a bit of ducking. I haven't really messed with the modulation settings. Phil is really open to experimenting, so I'll change up delays and choruses during a tour to see how he likes it (usually subtle changes, nothing too drastic mid-tour).
I've done some more tweaking to the main amp sound that we shared last month - some high cut in the cab block, and some experimentation with the speaker drive and speaker thump settings. We'll see how that sounds in context when we start touring next month.

Attachments

• Love Bites Chorus_20230115_184629.blk
    446 bytes · Views: 108
  • Phil Tape Delay_20230115_185152.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 101
Hey everyone! I was asked if I would share some effects settings from Phil's rig, so here are a couple of blocks. One is the chorus in Love Bites, and the other is our typical delay setting. I've been liking the tape delay sound - I usually set a 75% ratio between the two delays, cut some highs on the eq page, and set a bit of ducking. I haven't really messed with the modulation settings. Phil is really open to experimenting, so I'll change up delays and choruses during a tour to see how he likes it (usually subtle changes, nothing too drastic mid-tour).
I've done some more tweaking to the main amp sound that we shared last month - some high cut in the cab block, and some experimentation with the speaker drive and speaker thump settings. We'll see how that sounds in context when we start touring next month.
Thanks John for posting these. This gift of tone just keeps getting better. Is the love bites chorus similar to the one used on most of the standard rhythm parts of the hysteria album songs?

Thanks John for posting these. This gift of tone just keeps getting better. Is the love bites chorus similar to the one used on most of the standard rhythm parts of the hysteria album songs?
A bit different - it's a little wetter compared to most of the other tunes, and I've been using a Dimension chorus for a lot of the other songs. We still experiment a lot, though, so it will probably keep evolving as the tour goes on.

A bit different - it's a little wetter compared to most of the other tunes, and I've been using a Dimension chorus for a lot of the other songs. We still experiment a lot, though, so it will probably keep evolving as the tour goes on.
One of the things I've always loved about this band is that they do change the way they play these iconic songs, maybe not so much during a tour but certainly from tour to tour they have done over the years.

When you change things around such as chorus effects or delays, how difficult is it to make it noticeable at full volume on those big stages? I know you're making subtle changes and Phil probably wouldn't want anything radical changing mid tour like you said above, but how easy is it to hear those subtle changes? How does it work with effects settings with Phil and Viv then, are they both just running two completely different sets of effects that you guys work out independently or do the guys get together to discuss if they want to change some of the sounds?

I suppose the reason I ask that is because in all the years I've been watching the band live, Phil and Viv have always had a really nice blend with the sound, (and playing style), but I've always thought to sound that good, the guys must surely plan that to an extent so their effects sound similar and such like. I know the band has always worked really hard on their live shows.

While we were on the G3 tour in early 2018 John Petrucci had gotten an early Axe Fx 3. We were walking by his dressing room and heard it so we popped in to see it, and Phil loved it. I pulled up a Leppard setlist and he sat down and played bits and pieces of a bunch of Lep tunes. I remember him turning to me and saying "I could gig with this right now." He had always preferred the JMP rackmount preamp, but the modeling in the 3 finally convinced him to go all-in.
Do you remember what they were listening to the 3 through?

You are the man! Thanks so much for all this. I used a variation of Phil’s settings for my last gig with my DL tribute and it was awesome. Excited to check out the effects.

One of the things I've always loved about this band is that they do change the way they play these iconic songs, maybe not so much during a tour but certainly from tour to tour they have done over the years.

When you change things around such as chorus effects or delays, how difficult is it to make it noticeable at full volume on those big stages? I know you're making subtle changes and Phil probably wouldn't want anything radical changing mid tour like you said above, but how easy is it to hear those subtle changes? How does it work with effects settings with Phil and Viv then, are they both just running two completely different sets of effects that you guys work out independently or do the guys get together to discuss if they want to change some of the sounds?

I suppose the reason I ask that is because in all the years I've been watching the band live, Phil and Viv have always had a really nice blend with the sound, (and playing style), but I've always thought to sound that good, the guys must surely plan that to an extent so their effects sound similar and such like. I know the band has always worked really hard on their live shows.
It’s actually pretty easy to hear since we’re using in-ear monitors. Even the subtle changes are noticeable so I don’t usually get too crazy. As far as Viv and Phil’s tones, they’ve pretty much been tweaked independently. Viv tends to have a bit wetter sound, and his guitars and playing style are different enough from Phil’s that they blend and complement each other nicely.

It’s actually pretty easy to hear since we’re using in-ear monitors. Even the subtle changes are noticeable so I don’t usually get too crazy. As far as Viv and Phil’s tones, they’ve pretty much been tweaked independently. Viv tends to have a bit wetter sound, and his guitars and playing style are different enough from Phil’s that they blend and complement each other nicely.
That's really interesting. I think the dynamics of how you guys do this stuff for these huge shows is fascinating, because most of us will experience anything like that. It must be a great job to do.

When are you back out on the road then? I'll be seeing you in July at the stadium show in Sheffield. I passed up London in favour of Sheffield as I think it's almost a coming full circle type of thing and it should be an amazing atmosphere in Sheffield. I'll wave a JZ flag in the audience and let you know how it sounds :p

That's really interesting. I think the dynamics of how you guys do this stuff for these huge shows is fascinating, because most of us will experience anything like that. It must be a great job to do.

When are you back out on the road then? I'll be seeing you in July at the stadium show in Sheffield. I passed up London in favour of Sheffield as I think it's almost a coming full circle type of thing and it should be an amazing atmosphere in Sheffield. I'll wave a JZ flag in the audience and let you know how it sounds :p

If you're planning to be waving a flag at Brammall Lane in July you might be a bit lonely, the DL/Motley gig is in May mate.

Seriously though, I've seen them loads and when they're at their home town there's always a little extra atmosphere wise so you'll enjoy it

If you're planning to be waving a flag at Brammall Lane in July you might be a bit lonely, the DL/Motley gig is in May mate.

Seriously though, I've seen them loads and when they're at their home town there's always a little extra atmosphere wise so you'll enjoy it
Yep you're right I just checked that date, tickets haven't been issued yet. I must have had the Wembley date in mind as that was the first one I looked at lol.

Agreed on the Shefffield atmos. I have seen them before at the Sheffield Arena (volume was noticeably louder from the band at that one), and I saw them at the famous Don Valley Stadium show - which they said they would come back to for another show but never did. I think that place has since been demolished which is a shame.

JZ will have to have his flag in May then instead!

this is an incredible thread! cant wait to receive my fm9 (my first axe; being shipped now). total rookie question. earlier in this thread, there was discussion of a three amp set up in the patch. as someone that only plays through a single amp (power amp in or an frfr like a line6 powercab), do i need to make some changes to a patch geared towards a multi amp setup?

thanks for everyone's contributions. im giddy just thinking about this!

total rookie question. earlier in this thread, there was discussion of a three amp set up in the patch.
Where?

as someone that only plays through a single amp (power amp in or an frfr like a line6 powercab), do i need to make some changes to a patch geared towards a multi amp setup?
The FM9 has two Amp blocks available. If you want to run with two amps, you just need to put two Amp blocks in your preset, connect them up, and go.

Back
Top Bottom