Gibson ruining yet another acquired brand.

I DO want a new ES-335
I got one of the PRS Custom 22 Semi-Hollow earlier this year, and love it. I had an early 60s ES-345 with PAFs and an early 70s ES-335 and was considering getting another 335, then saw and bought the Special, and after playing it for months the PRS runs circles around the Gibsons. It's smaller, probably about the size of the ES-339, but with a better set of pickup combinations. It'll do a very convincing Strat sound too which is fun.

I took it to my tech who was really impressed, and I've never seen him impressed by a guitar. :)

One of my best buds just got a lab puppy and named him Gibson. Yep, he loves his Les Paul Standard. And I admit, it sounds like Rock n Roll, plugged in or not. My newer custom shop LP, on the other hand (2010 ish), sounds like poo in comparison. But back to my point: Gibson did make some awesome sounding guitars, and some people are diehard fans regardless of the current state of the company.

And yes, of course, I had to call his puppy Fender "by accident." (He hates single coil guitars)

I got one of the PRS Custom 22 Semi-Hollow earlier this year, and love it. I had an early 60s ES-345 with PAFs and an early 70s ES-335 and was considering getting another 335, then saw and bought the Special, and after playing it for months the PRS runs circles around the Gibsons. It's smaller, probably about the size of the ES-339, but with a better set of pickup combinations. It'll do a very convincing Strat sound too which is fun.

I took it to my tech who was really impressed, and I've never seen him impressed by a guitar. :)
I'd love one.

RBFBXRECHP-Finish-Shot.jpg

How in the hell are you supposed to take this brand seriously after this thing? They went from the most iconic guitar in music to this. Seems their service followed them into the dumpster too.
try to stay positive... try to stay positive... well... the paint job is... interesting.

In the aughts I was looking for a guitar with a meaty tone, and I went to Apple Music Row in Portland, OR, where I was living, and tried sooo many guitars. I had never been even remotely interested in anything Gibson, but I found, although it felt weird as hell, that a Les Paul was the perfect tone for me at that moment. I played a crazy number of Gibson Les Pauls there, but none of them had the mojo. The two best ones to my ears were both Epiphones! So I picked the one that sounded best, and took it home, thinking, "I'll lower this somewhat high action on my own time." I then realized lowering the action at all meant terrible buzzing. I was sent to the nearest Gibson warranty service person, who was a luthier specializing in medieval instruments like lutes. He told me there was a problem with the neck that was utterly unfixable (I can't remember exactly what it was). I called Gibson, who said that this was not a warranty issue. I kept the guitar, because, even with the high action, it just had the mojo for me. Years later, I found the confidence to try my own fretwork. All I had to do was lower the 22nd fret at the high E and B, and it played perfectly.

Anyway, I never trusted Gibson after that, right or wrong. I loved that Les Paul so much I went to have it looked at for refretting by the excellent Woodsong Lutherie in Boulder, CO a couple of years ago, where they told me they could do it, but I should know the neck was twisted, so it would take more work than I anticipated. Soon after I bought a used Gibson "Shred V," a 2008 special edition that came with a Kahler. I took that to the same place, where I was told the neck was twisted.

I look at Gibsons when I'm guitar shops, and I've too often seen really obvious problems in workmanship for guitars that are over $3,000.00. To me, that's a price where you shouldn't have to worry about workmanship on a new guitar. I have a natural love for Les Pauls, but the upper fret access eventually made it impossible for me to continue. As for the company itself, I actually don't blame them for making robot tuners available when they came out, but they definitely should've been an option, not mandatory haha.

In the aughts I was looking for a guitar with a meaty tone, and I went to Apple Music Row in Portland, OR, where I was living, and tried sooo many guitars. I had never been even remotely interested in anything Gibson, but I found, although it felt weird as hell, that a Les Paul was the perfect tone for me at that moment. I played a crazy number of Gibson Les Pauls there, but none of them had the mojo. The two best ones to my ears were both Epiphones! So I picked the one that sounded best, and took it home, thinking, "I'll lower this somewhat high action on my own time." I then realized lowering the action at all meant terrible buzzing. I was sent to the nearest Gibson warranty service person, who was a luthier specializing in medieval instruments like lutes. He told me there was a problem with the neck that was utterly unfixable (I can't remember exactly what it was). I called Gibson, who said that this was not a warranty issue. I kept the guitar, because, even with the high action, it just had the mojo for me. Years later, I found the confidence to try my own fretwork. All I had to do was lower the 22nd fret at the high E and B, and it played perfectly.

Anyway, I never trusted Gibson after that, right or wrong. I loved that Les Paul so much I went to have it looked at for refretting by the excellent Woodsong Lutherie in Boulder, CO a couple of years ago, where they told me they could do it, but I should know the neck was twisted, so it would take more work than I anticipated. Soon after I bought a used Gibson "Shred V," a 2008 special edition that came with a Kahler. I took that to the same place, where I was told the neck was twisted.

I look at Gibsons when I'm guitar shops, and I've too often seen really obvious problems in workmanship for guitars that are over $3,000.00. To me, that's a price where you shouldn't have to worry about workmanship on a new guitar. I have a natural love for Les Pauls, but the upper fret access eventually made it impossible for me to continue. As for the company itself, I actually don't blame them for making robot tuners available when they came out, but they definitely should've been an option, not mandatory haha.
Exactly - if you're spending that kind of dough it better be perfect. There are other brands at half that price that are better.

Yeah, I don't get the eternal slagging on Gibson quality. It's an Internet trope at this point.
I have owned dozens over the years and never had a total dud. I have had Fenders I liked
a lot less and that felt cheaper. Same can be said of a few PRSs I have had.

I also never have tuning issues with any of my Gibbys either. So suck on that Internet. ;)

Man, some of the comments feel like they are loaded with a bit of emotional overreactiveness.

How has Gibson touched you inappropriately of late?? :)

(Not a defense of Gibson corporate policy either. Just calling out those who say Gibsons are
trash or you can get twice the guitar for half the price somewhere else. I call Bull----! :) )

For overall quality, I really don't know how other brands compare in that price range. I feel like quality control is a big problem across the guitar manufacturing industry, regardless of brand. For me, I think I was so obsessed with Les Pauls for so long that I paid attention to whatever ones I saw at stores. I wasn't looking at the quality of Strats at the time, because I wasn't paying attention to Strats at all.

I love Gibson Les Pauls, but man did I ever have to kiss a few toads to find mine. I’m aware that the Internet has decided that Gibson is the devil….that has no bearing on my personal experience one way or the other.

Yeah, I don't get the eternal slagging on Gibson quality. It's an Internet trope at this point.
I have owned dozens over the years and never had a total dud. I have had Fenders I liked
a lot less and that felt cheaper. Same can be said of a few PRSs I have had.

I also never have tuning issues with any of my Gibbys either. So suck on that Internet. ;)
My issue with gibson quality is finish flaws. They’re usually not god awful, but other brands in the price range tend to put out perfect finishes.

Man, some of the comments feel like they are loaded with a bit of emotional overreactiveness.

How has Gibson touched you inappropriately of late?? :)

(Not a defense of Gibson corporate policy either. Just calling out those who say Gibsons are
trash or you can get twice the guitar for half the price somewhere else. I call Bull----! :) )
Twice the guitar for half the price I don’t know but you’ll certainly get a better guitar for the same money. No question about it in my mind.

I love Gibson Les Pauls, but man did I ever have to kiss a few toads to find mine. I’m aware that the Internet has decided that Gibson is the devil….that has no bearing on my personal experience one way or the other.
Kind of the same story here. My first Les Paul is a 1980, which I got in 81 new, there is a back story to it which I have posted before so wont do that here. Bottom line to this day it's still my #1 out of all my guitars.
I had several other guitars through the years, but late 80's early 90's was on the hunt for another Les Paul, not hard core just looking as they came along. The problem nothing measured up to what I already had, and then there were just flat out issues, frets and so on.
About 2010-ish was with a friend and we were at our tech's place, our tech took out a Les Paul Custom which he though he might put up for sale at the end of the month. My friend had interest I didn't. Until he handed it off to me. Long story short, it's mine.
I have two awesome Les Pauls, but if you think about it I must have tried at least 100 probably more like 200 plus over a thirty year span and only two measured up, pretty sad really. Ironically I came across another yesterday while dropping off a amp. A 2013 Les Paul really nice played great sounded awesome.

Others I had through the years an 1982 "The V" which I acquired in 86, still young at the time and had to have this guitar, mistake!
The neck was re-plained about a year later still have it and one of my favorites.

Also a 335 that found me in Guitar Center used, needed a little work on the nut (which was due to the original owner tinkering) and a new bridge, but another great guitar.

Last edited:
I'd love one.
All I can say is that, having had the Gibson ES guitars, I’m SO much happier with the PRS “version”.

I’m headed to a blues jam tomorrow night for my weekly “therapy” and taking it, and one of the FM* units and my FRFR cabs. The FOH guy is very receptive so I’m going to be there an hour in advance so we can dial it in. Those blues people are SO traditional but I think the ones who love to sit in on my ToneKing Imperial will be very happy.

All I can say is that, having had the Gibson ES guitars, I’m SO much happier with the PRS “version”.

I’m headed to a blues jam tomorrow night for my weekly “therapy” and taking it, and one of the FM* units and my FRFR cabs. The FOH guy is very receptive so I’m going to be there an hour in advance so we can dial it in. Those blues people are SO traditional but I think the ones who love to sit in on my ToneKing Imperial will be very happy.

Build a vintage tweed tolex skin for your FMx. That may ease their rejection 🤠

A lot of stuff has already been said about Gibson's way of doing things, and I found things in about every post that I could agree with, or at least empathize with.

All of that said, I've owned several over the years.

'74 SG, factory second with a big "2" stamped on the back of the headstock. Great guitar! Upgraded the bridge pickup with a used Dirty Fingers pickup at some point. Wish I'd been able to keep it. The '90s were a tough time....

EDIT: almost forgot this one:

'05 Explorer Studio Pro. Nice playing, dinky Explorer. Kinda ok pickups stock, but never really bonded with it after years of trying. Finally, at least a dozen years later, decided to sell it, and swapped in the pair of SD Vintage Firebird pickups I had lying in a drawer from another project that went nowhere (a Squier Strat, which played nice in the store, but made my hand cramp up after an hour or so playing it). Might have the original Deluxe mini humbuckers in a drawer somewhere. Anyhoo, then, and only then, did I finally bond with the guitar, but I had to sell it to cover the price of something else, so away it went. :confused:

'08 Les Paul Studio. First LP I ever found that I could stand the neck shape and didn't weigh too much. Someone had returned it to the GC in Tucson, so I got it at a bargain price. Great guitar, but kinda "meh" pickups. Tried removing the covers. Slightly better. Put in Lawrence L500 set. Better, but still didn't quite have it. Sold it after getting a PRS SE 245 that has the aforementioned it out the wazoo, plays like a dream, and weighs a lot less. Seriously, almost as light as an SG!

'18 SG Special. Saw it early in 2018 at the Scottsdale GC. Tried it out, liked the way it felt/played. Came back while waiting on a tire repair at the tire shop across the parking lot, saw it was still there with a "we are tired of looking at this guitar" sort of price, and it followed me home. Had to replace the failing output jack, which was occasionally crackling when you even just looked at it funny. Sadly, it had the PC board, which meant gutting the entire control cavity and rewiring it the old way, and replacing the pickups due to the "meh" tone and the little plastic pluggies on the end of the cables. In went the DiMarzio P90-sized SuperD and Virtual P90. Great guitar, and sounds great with the rewire. Have recently upgraded to Kinmans, and sent the DiMarzios away. Different, clearer, but even greater tone!

'08 (according to the serial number lookup) Blues Hawk. Great little guitar with "Blues90" pickups. Interesting circuit with pull switch defeatable varitone, a dummy coil to kill the hum and series linked pickups when both on, feeding through a resistor to tame the volume boost. Aside from increasing that resistor value and adding a parallel cap to balance it better and let some highs around it, good to go out of the factory. Coveted this guitar, which was owned by a friend, for years, and bought it from him early last year as he was downsizing to move in with his daughter and son in law due to old age and health issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom