Gibby blows off NAMM.

Gibson killed the DAW I’ve been using - Cakewalk - since 1999.

Screw them.

Same here. I started using Cakewalk Pro Audio as my DAW in 1997. I bought every upgrade except 1. I even bought the lifetime updates which barely lasted a year. So many customers money has now gone to waste. I will never buy another Gibson product again!

They will be at CES LAS VEGAS 2018 (Today). I have been to their tent/dome at CES the past couple of years. Great set up and more peeps

Same here. I started using Cakewalk Pro Audio as my DAW in 1997. I bought every upgrade except 1. I even bought the lifetime updates which barely lasted a year. So many customers money has now gone to waste. I will never buy another Gibson product again!

I also got suckered into the "lifetime update" scam.

Shoddy way to run a business, Gibson.

It makes sense that Gibson wouldn't be there when you think about it.

As for reaching dealers, they completely dictate which Gibson dealers carry what stock, so why would they show off their stuff to dealers when they just tell everybody what they're going to get anyway?

As for new product news reaching the general public, all NAMM does is provide the public with a quick photo/video of a new product, which you can do just as effectively and a hell of a lot cheaper with a quick youtube video.

IMO.... companies (especially those like Fractal Audio, Suhr, etc) are better served by reserving a conference room or several room in a hotel near the event and hosting jam sessions, meet and greets, come and play type events. It leverages the buzz surrounding NAMM, allows pro's and others to wander in a play and have the event live streamed and/or loaded to youtube, the company's social media sites, etc.

If anything, the attention generated by "celebrities" attending NAMM, jamming in some booth's etc keeps folks interested in digging deeper.

One guy? Really? I'm not busting your chops amigo, ...

No offense taken

...but there are several guys in the US that build great guitars, not just Paul. John Suhr and Tom Anderson come immediately to mind. While I agree that Suhr and Anderson are smaller than PRS, I question whether any of them have the finances to buy Gibson. My ideal would be for Heritage to buy Gibson, but I think I'll get a visit from the tooth fairy before that happens.

Suhr had occurred to me as well. Some quick web searches (not exhaustive) show PRS in the $36M or $43.5M range. Suhr was bought for about $11M in 2015 by Avalanche Technologies, a holding company, who as of February 2016 was talking about raising more money to expand Suhr. (See https://ir.avalancheinternationalcorp.com/press-releases). Tom Anderson Guitar Works estimates are all over the map but much smaller than either.

Heritage is the nostalgia choice, right - make Gibsons in Kalamazoo again! - but estimates for their size are also quite low.

Glad you did not take offense. I certainly did not mean any.

I know PRS is the largest of the manufacturers I mentioned. Tom Anderson still runs his company, but they are small. Whether the Suhr sale was a good thing or a bad thing still remains to be seen. My point was that I really can't see why any of them would want Gibson. Henry has been mismanaging that company for so many years, i really question whether it can be turned around. Heritage is indeed small. They are struggling to get a space in the marketplace and that bewilders me. I own 2 Heritage guitars (a 555 and a Sweet 16). They are every bit as good as vintage Gibsons. Any player that loves old school Gibbys should give Heritage a shot. At this point, I think Gibson may be going down the tubes, and that is really a shame

Back
Top Bottom