Getting started on Axe-Fx

Peter123

I recently got my Axe-Fx Standard but the best I could do was to create a GuitarRig 4 type of sound.
I am running the Axe into my PC and through soundcard out to KRK studio speakers.

I use Axe Edit and choose the amp first and then I go through the cabs. But almost every combination sounds like it has a blanket over the speakers.

Where could I find the info like "Getting started on Axe-Fx", because manual does nothing to me and lefts me with too many unexplained knobs to turn?
I do not even know exactly what to place where in the chain ...

I recently got my Axe-Fx Standard but the best I could do was to create a GuitarRig 4 type of sound.
I am running the Axe into my PC and through soundcard out to KRK studio speakers.

I use Axe Edit and choose the amp first and then I go through the cabs. But almost every combination sounds like it has a blanket over the speakers.

Where could I find the info like "Getting started on Axe-Fx", because manual does nothing to me and lefts me with too many unexplained knobs to turn?
I do not even know exactly what to place where in the chain ...
I find it can be helpful to start with a preset and take note of where the settings are at before creating your own patch from stratch. It's easy to tweak yourself into the weeds with such a powerful piece of gear. Be especially mindful of gain stages. Go to the ULTRA WIKI and carefully read through the list of amp sims and suggested cabinet IRs. Take note of suggested settings.

Peter123, this forum is very helpful, and we'll get you there one way or another. I'd suggest starting with using the Axe-Fx front panel, not the Axe-Edit software, to eliminate this variable. It is a good idea regardless to have a good working knowledge of the front panel functions.

First, plug Axe-Fx directly into the monitors, nothing in between.

From there, I'd start from scratch with a blank preset, which has NO effects blocks, but all SHUNTS instead. This will yield a "dry" sound of your guitar running through the Axe-Fx, and should compare identically to your guitar sound with the Global Bypass function engaged. Nothing sexy going on here, but this confirms that everything is working properly. Make sure you have set up your input/output gain structure appropriately.

Next, add a cabinet Block (replace a shunt somewhere in the middle of the grid row). Again, not too interesting, but your guitar should sound as you'd expect - "clean" through a guitar cabinet. Next, add an amp block in front of the cabinet block. Use amp/cab blocks that you have some "real world" experience with, so that you already have some pre-existing basis of what these should sound like. You should be pretty close to your goal at this point. If not, we'll have to dig deeper.

Also, what guitar are you using, and what styles of music do you play?

Thanks guys for answers!

I checked the pdfs and I will try your suggestion also jimfist.

I am using two Ibanez Prestige guitars: a mahogany Ibanez S2120 with DiMarzio Evolution & Super Distortion and a basewood RG1550 with DiMarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton.
I am playing mostly melodic rock; a distorted lead sound and a distorted drop D modern sound.

Good luck. Let us know how things are progressing.

(PS - I'm very familiar with the sonic capabilities of Guitar Rig. When running properly, Axe-Fx is worlds apart in quality from Guitar Rig 4...not even close.)

Also be aware that going from your AxeFx to your soundcard then to your KRKs damages the AxeFx sound, it sounds so much better connected directly to monitors !

It sounds like the OP was having difficulty getting acceptable or better sounds from his Axe-Fx. The suggestion to bypass everything between the Axe-Fx and the powered KRK monitors was made in an effort to help the OP work on the fundamental sounds generated by the Axe-Fx in the most pure way he could, given his monitoring setup. This would eliminate his recording setup as the source of any unwanted hooey that might be making his sounds less than ideal.

IOW, if it sounds better bypassing his recording gear, then he'll know that something is afoul with that aspect of his setup. Once he's confirmed all is well with the Axe-Fx and his speaker system, he can then concentrate on a totally separate issue: capturing the sounds in a DAW.

Yes, KRK VXT 4 I have are powered monitors.

I yet haven`t plugged the monitors directly into the Axe-Fx. I still wonder if some (not so shaped) presets from Axe-Fx (which I bought second-hand) could damage the speakers with it`s (too) high or (too) low frequencies. When I run the whole system through my PC I can manipulate with volume directly on my computer ...
I read some info (credit: yek) about plugging the monitors directly into the Axe and I planning to do so very soon. Tomorrow I hope. Today I ran out of time.

Currently I am trying to understand the principles behind only amps and cabs in a chain; changing different mic simulations and understanding the way different knobs (air, low cut and so on) shape the sound.

I think that the real proof that Axe-Fx is really something and very professional is (also!) the fact that even a small parameter/knob adjustment makes quite a transparent change in the shape of the sound.

Back
Top Bottom