Getting some sort of pumping sound with quantum 2.0

jzucker

Experienced
I'm not sure yet whether this is user error or some sort of artifact but I'm getting what sort of sounds like either noise gate open/close or compressor open/close on certain presets.

This was happening yesterday with the ODS-100_HRM amplifier but I've had it happen on other amplifiers or not. I will try to spend some time tonight to isolate it and find the minimum block configuration that repros the problem.

Anyone else hearing anything like this?

I'm not sure yet whether this is user error or some sort of artifact but I'm getting what sort of sounds like either noise gate open/close or compressor open/close on certain presets.

This was happening yesterday with the ODS-100_HRM amplifier but I've had it happen on other amplifiers or not. I will try to spend some time tonight to isolate it and find the minimum block configuration that repros the problem.

Anyone else hearing anything like this?

Its possible what your hearing is the SAG from the new power section settings. If you bring up the Power DYN tab directly from the Axe FX (as axe edit doesnt currently show it) and watch the meter on the bottom for B+ dB. Its a high probability you will see a gain reduction there.

Thanks, I'll give that a look but is it different for the ODS Ford 1 because when demonstrating this last night to a friend, we didn't hear it when we swapped the amp out to the ODS-100 Ford 1 ?

When we switched back to the ODS-100 HRM the pumping was back.

Considering the power dynamics is something that is likely too change a decent amount amp to amp. It would make sense. I don't usually use the the Ford, but i am fairly sure i had to tweak the HRM to my liking after upgrading.

Found the culprit. It's the noise gate on the input block. If you are using a lot of gain and turn the guitar volume down to 7 or below, you will get the noise gate pumping in and out. Disabling the gate solves the problem.

Found the culprit. It's the noise gate on the input block. If you are using a lot of gain and turn the guitar volume down to 7 or below, you will get the noise gate pumping in and out. Disabling the gate solves the problem.

Increase the release time.

100ms works great. I reduce it to 20ms with really noisy presets.

Another option is to put a volume block first in the chain and control it with an expression pedal. This way, it simulates lowering the guitar volume, but after the gate, so the gate always gets 100% signal from the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom