Getting ready to use Atomic Active FR cab in a band setting tomorrow

sarge

Power User
Picked up an Atomic Active Cab the other day for use with my Axe FX II.

Atleast at my house, I was surprised how good it sounded. Did not think I would be a fam of FR, but it sounds really good.

I also have a JCM 800 2204 half stack (1960a cab). I kept A->B ing the Real thing against the Axe FX II with a 1960A cab simulation through the atomic. Of course it did not sound identical but they sounded pretty damn close. Not actually sure which one I liked better.

Anyway, will let you guys know what I think of the cab in a band setting.

Any pointers on Volume? At the house it seemed to work best with the volume at 75% on the cab and then just adjusting the Axe FX output.

I tend to just run my FR systems full on and control it all from the Axe (did this when I had Atomics as well.) To my mind, it's not like it's working hard when the input signal is low. In a lot of systems, the volume knob is really just an attenuator on the input.

TT

I tend to just run my FR systems full on and control it all from the Axe (did this when I had Atomics as well.) To my mind, it's not like it's working hard when the input signal is low. In a lot of systems, the volume knob is really just an attenuator on the input.

TT

I do the same with my EV's.

Well, my first impression with the atomic at drummer volume is that I need to reduce the bass. It did not sound bad, but I definitely need to get it off the ground. Probably should have put it on it's side atleast.

I had the same problem with my Recto cab a few years back when I was running a road king through it.
I had to put 2x4's under the recto cab to stop the bass from flubbing out.

On a side note, my actual JCM 800 2204 through 1960a cab sounded absolutely incredible.

I usually turn up the poweramp as high as possible until it gets hissy. Some get hissy earlier than others. The use the axefx to control the volume from there.

I usually turn up the poweramp as high as possible until it gets hissy. Some get hissy earlier than others. The use the axefx to control the volume from there.

I've heard that's best in an SS situation.

Well, my first impression with the atomic at drummer volume is that I need to reduce the bass. It did not sound bad, but I definitely need to get it off the ground. Probably should have put it on it's side atleast.

I had the same problem with my Recto cab a few years back when I was running a road king through it.
I had to put 2x4's under the recto cab to stop the bass from flubbing out.

I remember seeing a poster in a music store amp room for a bass 'de-flubber' made of high density foam. Was like $250-300. Um, a trip to the local foam place, and some epoxy or the like and I'm good for under a hundred.

As for placement, I've noticed that wedges on their side sound bassier than upright.

Later: I had a king-size 1" memory foam topper laying around, and folded it over itself into a four-inch pad, which I put my wedges onto. The bass just went away. Oh. So I added a touch more, a little less treble, and wow it was very nice. (And I'm not using RCFs.) Definitely get yours off the floor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom