Getting feedback a problem when applying Pitch Shift to guitar?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I read somewhere that if you use a Pitch block in your preset to change the tuning for the song, your guitar won't react properly to the signal coming out of your speakers if you want to generate musical feedback because the strings are vibrating at a different frequency. Is this correct? Has anyone tried this and if so, what actually happens to your sound?

I read somewhere that if you use a Pitch block in your preset to change the tuning for the song, your guitar won't react properly to the signal coming out of your speakers if you want to generate musical feedback because the strings are vibrating at a different frequency. Is this correct? Has anyone tried this and if so, what actually happens to your sound?
I have not tried exactly that, but I believe you are correct. I put a pitch-shifter on a microphone once, turned it way up, and pointed it right at the monitor. With the pitch-shifter turned off it was instant feedback, but with it on it made this weird tone-sweepy sound as the feedback would begin and then get pitch-shifted out to a different frequency (which wasn't feeding back). It was a kind of annoying sound, but it was nowhere near normal feedback. I'd imagine that something sorta similar would happen with a pitch-shifted guitar.

I have not tried exactly that, but I believe you are correct. I put a pitch-shifter on a microphone once, turned it way up, and pointed it right at the monitor. With the pitch-shifter turned off it was instant feedback, but with it on it made this weird tone-sweepy sound as the feedback would begin and then get pitch-shifted out to a different frequency (which wasn't feeding back). It was a kind of annoying sound, but it was nowhere near normal feedback. I'd imagine that something sorta similar would happen with a pitch-shifted guitar.
Very useful, thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom