Getting a more tube like tone?

spbahm

I'm still new to the Axe-fxII and I'm loving it. The question is what steps do I need to take to get more tube like tones? The reason I went with the Axe2 is that I'm in a working cover band and I want consistency. Before I made the switch I was running a Mesa head into a 2x12 with a TC Gforce for effects, but volume was always a issue.
I have a 5 main patches that I'm using now. Two of them are different clean amps and the other three are dirty amps. Nothing super heavy just straight up rock tones. I'm running everything direct to the front of house while using some FRFR monitors to give a little volume on stage, I get my feed back through in ears.
I think my overall tone is good but just not there yet. The cleans are just that...a little to clean. I don't seem to get that tube squish that I've become use to. Also the dirty channels are a bit to tight and perfect. I feel like I want to gain it up but I don't think that would fix anything.
I haven't really dug into the advanced part of the amp tweaking yet, but would playing around with the sag function help with this?
Thanks!

For more "squish" you can try the compression in the amp block as well as try increasing transformer match a bit. Same for the dirty channels.

For "squish" I set the Compressor block to pedal, Sustain between 2-3 O'Clock. Works great on cleans (Squeaky Clean, Tight Bright, etc). Nails that "Under the Bridge" tone.

I'm still new to the Axe-fxII and I'm loving it. The question is what steps do I need to take to get more tube like tones? The reason I went with the Axe2 is that I'm in a working cover band and I want consistency. Before I made the switch I was running a Mesa head into a 2x12 with a TC Gforce for effects, but volume was always a issue.
I have a 5 main patches that I'm using now. Two of them are different clean amps and the other three are dirty amps. Nothing super heavy just straight up rock tones. I'm running everything direct to the front of house while using some FRFR monitors to give a little volume on stage, I get my feed back through in ears.
I think my overall tone is good but just not there yet. The cleans are just that...a little to clean. I don't seem to get that tube squish that I've become use to. Also the dirty channels are a bit to tight and perfect. I feel like I want to gain it up but I don't think that would fix anything.
I haven't really dug into the advanced part of the amp tweaking yet, but would playing around with the sag function help with this?
Thanks!

Lots of clean amp types in the Axe let you add just a bit of a breakup. Such as the Divided by 13, HiWatt or the Badgers.
I also like to blend in a bit of chorus, just enough so that you don't hear really the chorus effect itself. It broadens the sound.

Lots of clean amp types in the Axe let you add just a bit of a breakup. Such as the Divided by 13, HiWatt or the Badgers.
This. Those clean tones sweeten right up when you're just starting to push the power section of the right sorts of amp sim.

For "squish" I set the Compressor block to pedal, Sustain between 2-3 O'Clock. Works great on cleans (Squeaky Clean, Tight Bright, etc). Nails that "Under the Bridge" tone.

For squish try supply sag. I don't have 9.x installed yet but on most of my cleaner stuff I have sag cranked up pretty high.

I also like to blend in a bit of chorus, just enough so that you don't hear really the chorus effect itself. It broadens the sound.

Can you supply values or a patch with them?

Back
Top Bottom