Get FC-6 for FM3 or just buy FM9?

Thanks, Greg for thoughtful response. I really have to come to terms with my wants over my needs. I think the best thing for me would be the FC-6 rather than the FM9. However, that additional power and the fact that it is one solid modular unit does have its sway. I will be going over the specs for sure. The good/bad thing is that if I choose FM9, I'll have to wait, so maybe I'll get the FC-6 in the mean time.
I started with the FM3. Decided I preferred more physical switches to avoid trying to time press and hold when performing live. So, I added the FC-6. Then I got the FM9T when my place came up in the list. I do most of my editing/playing on the FM9 and have the FM3 in reserve. I consistently port my patches I create in the FM9 to versions that fit within the DSP constraints of the FM3 so I’m always ready to fallback for one reason or another.

I have also used my FC-6 in conjunction with the FM9 on occasion leaving it on the Effects and/or Per Preset configuration layout while using the FM9 for Presets/Scenes.

I know a AxeFX III Turbo and FC-12 are in my future as soon as I finish paying for my December guitar purchase.

I’ve seen this and am very tempted, not sure this is right for me. I do like the Bluetooth feature and the ability to assign long press buttons.

Do you have to pair every boot up?
Consider you have to worry about battery being charged/power. With an FC the controller is powered via FasLink (basically phantom power over any high quality XLR cable, I prefer Mogami). That convenience won out for me.

Not to further confuse but I had the FC6 (sold it) but strongly considering a FM3 on desk plus FC12 on the floor under my desk. May sound overkill but it’s a way of using the FM3 as a head basically.

You know, until an FM0 is released. :cool:

Not to further confuse but I had the FC6 (sold it) but strongly considering a FM3 on desk plus FC12 on the floor under my desk. May sound overkill but it’s a way of using the FM3 as a head basically.

You know, until an FM0 is released. :cool:
Oh not another one. There is an FM0. It’s the AxeFX III…

Nope, but nice try.
Well then keep on dreaming. Can’t have a pedal sized FM0 anyway because of the screen and knobs. Not sure what the goal is. You want a device with less DSP and smaller? Everyone asking for FM0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 needs to give it a rest. This isn’t a company trying to be a huge conglomerate that caters to every person. They have a nice usable range of products. Including a product with no Foot Switches. Buy what they sell or move on.

Well then keep on dreaming. Can’t have a pedal sized FM0 anyway because of the screen and knobs. Not sure what the goal is. You want a device with less DSP and smaller? Everyone asking for FM0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 needs to give it a rest. This isn’t a company trying to be a huge conglomerate that caters to every person. They have a nice usable range of products. Including a product with no Foot Switches. Buy what they sell or move on.
Nope. This happens to be a company that listens to their (happy) customers and ultimately will decide what works for them or not (whether software or hardware related). FYI, plenty of people scoffed at an FM9 a few years back before the announcement, as well as larger scribble strips, larger screen fonts, et al.

Nope. This happens to be a company that listens to their (happy) customers and ultimately will decide what works for them or not (whether software or hardware related).
Hijacking unrelated threads and spamming what you want isn't the way to go about asking for something. This is a thread asking for the best way to add switches... Not to remove them... I'm sure they, or the rest of us for that matter, really appreciate all these interjections into unrelated discussions asking subtlety (or not so) asking for your desired flavor of FM-X.

FC3+FC6 vs FM9?
Guess many people already weighted in with the main pros & cons.
In my case, I went the FC3+FC6. Fast forward two years and now I got the FX3 and I am glad I have the FC6 as a separate module, and can use with both devices, at home with the FX3 and outside with the FM3.
Guess one cannot go wrong with any Fractal stuff :)

Hijacking unrelated threads and spamming what you want isn't the way to go about asking for something. This is a thread asking for the best way to add switches... Not to remove them... I'm sure they, or the rest of us for that matter, really appreciate all these interjections into unrelated discussions asking subtlety (or not so) asking for your desired flavor of FM-X.
Alright buddy, good for you. Done with this discussion.

Back on topic: I had considered a FC12 for my FM3 since I have a very similar use case to OP. Like OP, I want to keep my FM3 on my desk and no, FM9 didn’t work. What I found is that once I had the FC6, I wanted more, not fewer switches.

I use my FM3 as a desktop modeler in my home studio and have never used it as a floor unit. I would like a FC-6 for looping and scenes/preset switching but I’m not sure if the money would be better spent on a FM9 instead.
I’ve never used my FM3 as a floor unit, it has live on my desk since day one.
I’m not sure how often I would need to bend down to adjust stuff or scroll with a floor unit but if I got a FM9, it would live on the floor.

What are your thoughts, opinions on this terrible first world problem?
Personally I'd get the FM9 because you'll get twice the DSP and even though it's on the floor if it's next to your computer you can control it with the Edit Software. They make really long USB cables so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I have an Axe-Fx III and it sits right next to me on a table and I almost never use the front panel. I use Axe-Edit 98% of the time.

Alright buddy, good for you. Done with this discussion.

Back on topic: I had considered a FC12 for my FM3 since I have a very similar use case to OP. Like OP, I want to keep my FM3 on my desk and no, FM9 didn’t work. What I found is that once I had the FC6, I wanted more, not fewer switches.
I agree on the more switches. That is why I added the FC-6 to my FM3 in with the OMG9 layout. It is fantastic. I did regularly run up against DSP limits. I have work arounds but can be an annoyance. One of the reasons I got the FM9 as soon as I could. I wouldn't want it on a desk though. It's why I want an AxeFX III. It would be mounted in the desk and would stay there. I'll lug my other devices to a location. I'd use the AxeFX as my playground and to constantly tune my sounds. Then migrate them down to the other devices.

Edit: Also the FM3 does have a baked in OMG15 layout if you get an FC-12. I really like the OMG9 layout more personally.

Last edited:
Personally I'd get the FM9 because you'll get twice the DSP and even though it's on the floor if it's next to your computer you can control it with the Edit Software. They make really long USB cables so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I have an Axe-Fx III and it sits right next to me on a table and I almost never use the front panel. I use Axe-Edit 98% of the time.
Note on the USB cable length. Maximum supported length is 5 meters (~16 feet). However, this is how I have things setup right now. FM9 or FM3 just next to me on the floor. In front of my desk in line with the leg of the desk so I can have it plugged in but use the foot switches.

Not 100% sure if this was the issue for me or not but, until a few weeks ago, the FM3 never worked as an interface... FM3-EDIT was fine though. I had it hooked up to a 20+ foot USB cable. I got a 10 foot one and it works perfect now.

I had to run USB down the length of the house once for a Boss WAZA Tube Amp Expander and needed a booster/extender too. I forgot I left the unboosted 20+ foot section plugged in and curled up under a side shelf and had the FM3 plugged into that. oops..... The extender did work amazingly well though.

Porque no los dos?
20240101_224106.jpg
This was my thought too (and is also what I use). In your scenario, you could still keep the FC6 on your desktop where it’s handy and have the switches and capability of the FM9 on the floor. I 8se them both on the floor, but if I wanted some handy switches up top, the 6 does that.

Might as well swing for the fences!

This was my thought too (and is also what I use). In your scenario, you could still keep the FC6 on your desktop where it’s handy and have the switches and capability of the FM9 on the floor. I 8se them both on the floor, but if I wanted some handy switches up top, the 6 does that.

Might as well swing for the fences!
Actually planning a Temple Audio Solo board for the desk, with some MIDI switches running on the spare Expression IO, giving Preset +/- and Scene +/- switches easily within reach for when I am updating presets, so I don't have to turn and roll so much. Bennie likes to sit by my feet, and I've run over his paw a couple times doing the turn-and-roll....

Back
Top Bottom