(step-by-step tutorial) cheap 45$ Midi bluetooth footswitch for Axe-Fx III FM9 FM3 (Cuvave M-Vave Chocolate)

Really cheap alternative that works great. Follow these instructions step by step.

1-You will need both the footswitch and the bluetooth midi receiver. You can find it on Aliexpress. Remember to charge both before starting.

1663110854518.png
2-I´m using Android (it is also available for iOS). Download the editor at cuvave.com/appdownload (it is not available on Playstore).

3-Turn on the footswitch and pair it to the smartphone via bluetooth

4-Open Cuvave Cubesuit and click on ´´FootCtrl´´

1663150259656.png

5-Go to Custom control. Set MIDI Channel to 1.

1663150362226.png

6-Click on ´´Undefined´´ Footswitch [A] and set it as:

1663150504785.png

7-Repeat the procedure for each footswitch as:
1663150861607.png

Now, the footswitch will be recognized by the Fm3 as:
1663147757632.png

8-Exit the editor. Unpair the footswitch then turn it off.

9-Turn on the Fm3 and connect the midi receiver.
1663112389705.png
10-After boot, turn on the receiver, then turn on the footswitch. Now they will pair, and if it is done correctly, booth LEDs will stop blinking.

1663115046287.png

11-On FM3 go to Setup > MIDI/Remote > Other

12-In this example, I configured the footwitch A (CC#20) to activate the Scene Increment and the footwtch B (CC#21) to activate the Scene Decrement. You can set other functions to the other footwitches as you like.

1663147972469.png

PS: Once configured the footswitch will also work with PC Plugins like Neural Dsp, S-Gear, etc using it with the bluetooth midi usb receiver which is also included. The only thing you have to do is turn off the ´´visual behavior´´ option on the steps 6 and 7.

UPDATE: to activate certain things without problems (like the tuner) you have to assign these specific codes (in my case I have the footswitch D for the tuner). On FM3 select CC#15 on Setup/MIDI Remote/Other/Tuner

1667740597359.png

Last edited:
Mny thx for the support!!

i want to use like this:

footswitch A - press - scene 1
- long press - scene 2

footswitch B - press - scene 3
- long press - scene 4

do you know how can i do it?

i want to use like this:

- long press - scene 2

- long press - scene 4

Sadly, I believe not. In the required operating mode, you only have the four button presses available. No long/short, no A+B, C+D. It's unfortunate because those capabilities could make this little guy a real gem.

I've got mine set up to switch to scenes 1-4 with buttons A-D. Still very useful (in part due to the way I've built my presets. BTW, to access scenes, I use the same CC on each button but set the extra data field to the scene number (starting at 0, thru to 7)

i want to use like this:

- long press - scene 2

- long press - scene 4

Select ´´advanced custom control´´ (instead of the custom control). Then you can assign the mode ´´step short step long´´ to each footswitch. For example: short press would be CC20, and long press CC21.

Select ´´advanced custom control´´ (instead of the custom control). Then you can assign the mode ´´step short step long´´ to each footswitch. For example: short press would be CC20, and long press CC21.
Can you explain better the steps that i have to do in the midi switch and fm3? i´m really a noob in midi D

Can you explain better the steps that i have to do in the midi switch and fm3? i´m really a noob in midi D
You can follow the tutorial and change to ´´advanced custom control´´ on step 5 (instead of the custom control). The process is similar.

You can follow the tutorial and change to ´´advanced custom control´´ on step 5 (instead of the custom control). The process is similar.
That´s what i´ve done! but how can i select:

• footswitch A to change between scene 1/2
  • footswitch B to change between scene 3/4
  • footswitch C to change between scene 5/6
  • footswitch D to change between scene 7/8

many thx!!

That´s what i´ve done! but how can i select:

• footswitch A to change between scene 1/2
  • footswitch B to change between scene 3/4
  • footswitch C to change between scene 5/6
  • footswitch D to change between scene 7/8

many thx!!

Footswitch A: Mode: Single Step (switch beetwen two banks) Bank A CC 23 1 Bank B CC 23 0
Footswitch B: Mode: Single Step (switch beetwen two banks) Bank A CC 23 3 Bank B CC 23 2
Footswitch C: Mode: Single Step (switch beetwen two banks) Bank A CC 23 5 Bank B CC 23 4
Footswitch D: Mode: Single Step (switch beetwen two banks) Bank A CC 23 7 Bank B CC 23 6

On FM3 go to Setup > MIDI/Remote > Other > Scene Select CC#23

(I used number 23 as example, but I think you can use other number)

I tried it here and it works. Actually in a first moment I thought it was not possible lol, but this Mvave chocolate is amazing!

See the manual page 52.

1667932678924.png

Last edited:
Is it possible to use like this?

• short A: Scene 1 - Long A: Scene 5
  • short B: Scene 2 - Long B: Scene 6
  • short C: Scene 3 - Long C: Scene 7
  • short D: Scene 4 - Long D: Scene 8

Can you explain how to configure it?

Is it possible to use like this?

• short A: Scene 1 - Long A: Scene 5
  • short B: Scene 2 - Long B: Scene 6
  • short C: Scene 3 - Long C: Scene 7
  • short D: Scene 4 - Long D: Scene 8

Can you explain how to configure it?
Please try to use the above methods and adapt them to get the configuration you want.

As it’s very cheap a decided to give it a shot and got a second one. But definitely the second one doesn’t work with the same Bluetooth MIDI receiver. I was wondering if it would work connecting each other using a TRS cabe through the chocolate cable jack.
Maybe you should test the Hotone FS-1. The Chocolate with TRS cable I think would not work with all options like the Blueetoth midi connection.

Back
Top Bottom