Geddy Lee (RUSH) Bass Tone SVT Era - Presto - Snakes and Arrows

The Soundshell

Inspired

* IF YOU WANT THIS TONE, AND IT WON'T LOAD, EMAIL ME AT SOUNDSHELL777@YAHOO.COM*
*TELL ME WHAT TONE YOU WANT*

Hey everybody,

My name is Ben
This Patch/Preset is for

Please let me know what you think about the tone.
Your opinions, like how much my playing sucks, the tone sucks... etc.......are more than welcome
I would love some feedback on this

Here is a clip to get an audio reference before you try the tone out.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

(If you enable/disable the bass cabs and the eq's you can pretty much match his sound from most of the eaes of RUSH. Good Luck )

Some info:
Bass: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass ( noiseless pick-ups, Badass II Bridge)
Axe Fx Ultra Direct
Presonus Firepod
Cubase 5
Double tracked and panned left and right.
Using Mackie 624 MKII Near Field Studio Monitors.

Attachments

• 275 - Geddy Lee.syx
    2 KB · Views: 117
Since the soundclick link is broken:

http://soundcloud.com/soundshell777/axe-fx-geddy-lee-bass-tone

yes DLM I did!!!!!! Thanks so much for the heads up.
Its been a pretty long time since I did this.

If I remember;
I think I just went with your existing patch; Then redialed and regrouped the signal chain in a specific order like I have them setup in my Line6Pod X3 Pro. Ive got a lot of bass tones on there, and this is my favorite.

Wish I could tell you more. I would double check and make comparisons.
Maybe you could upload yours on here as well, and people could use the one that suits them better. That would be really cool.

I uploaded all my current patches in a new post. The one called Bass Bright was the Geddy Lee patch but it's a different version of it and renamed since I never really could totally match his tone. Then again, maybe I did. I don't have his bass, so anything I play through it will sound different. :)

There's something different about the one you uploaded. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's just been a while since I used that one so I'm remembering it differently, but I think it sounded closer to Geddy's tone than I had originally back when that one was posted. I've changed the patch so much since then I don't really remember what it sounded like in that incarnation. I sort of gave up trying to get his tone since without his gear and that particular type of bass with those pickups, I could never nail it in any kind of a general way anyway that would work for everyone.

So instead of doing that, I've just focused on getting good tones that sound like what I want them to sound like for my own personal tastes, and right now I'm pretty happy with the current batch that I posted. Not that I'll never tweak them again, but I sort of "finished them" and I haven't really touched them since, so I think I'm pretty settled for right now. Hopefully others will find them useful as well. :)

We need more people to post patches. I think if Cliff adds some new bass amp sims in the next big firmware update, we're going to be seeing an explosion of new patches posted as people play around with them. That'll be awesome. :D

I totally agree. cant for second think Cliff wouldn't include some new Bass Sims. What an untapped resource. Maybe we can stop working so damned hard at this.

I'm using the Fender Geddy Bass. My personal opinion is it really rounds things out and sounds very old school. Plus I can get the punch of the newer Metal sound without it being to pinggy like I get with my Schecter riot.

Thanks for replying to this. It's always nice when people can find patches easier, and people are kind enough to things up to date! + a billion!

Still hoping Geddy goes active/passive with the push pulls on the knobs. My life would be complete.

That's great that you have a Geddy bass. I was wondering how they were and how different they are from the normal Fender Jazz basses. Have they been talking about doing that with the push/pull knobs for active/passive? That's kind of a nifty keen idea. :)

The difference is there is lacquer everywhere, Body, back of neck, and on the fretboard. Not a lot of room for it to breathe. Unsure if his is the same way or not. Neck is very thing, and the new bridge is amazing. Pickup are just freaking great, and it personally feels better and sound way better than the standard stuff.

You can get the standard in Active mostly, but I HATE batteries. A friend of mine has an active/passive same style fender jazz, but its not a Geddy. It doesn't have the lacquer and that's about the only difference, but it does have batteries.

They are simply unnecessary.
I have an Ibanez JS1000, and used to have many coil tapped 80's shred guitars and NONE of them had batteries in them. This is just a wish, haven't heard them talk about it, simply want to mod the crap out of it.

Story goes that he found it in a pawn shop in Kalamazoo, Michigan ( where I was born and I live today) on tour in '72 or something.
He prefers it over the Rickenbacker 4001

I have a Schecter 6 string Riot , Carvin 6 string fretless, and a 12 string Dean Rhapsody to cover all the basses, and I really only use The Geddy. It's the best bass Ive ever played, and I LOVE the Schecter stuff.

Nice, sounds like a great bass! Never been a fan of Ricks. I've played them at various times in music stores and a friend of mine has one, but I've never liked the feel or the tone of any Rick I've ever played. It's just a personal preference thing. Some people love that tone and feel. I can see why Geddy preferred the Fender.

The basses I have are, a Schecter Stiletto Custom-4, a Stiletto Custom-5, an Ibanez Soundgear 5-string, an '87 Fender P-Bass and a Fernandes APB-4 Fretless.

I know I have two of them, but I really don't dig playing 5-string basses either. The B string is nice and it's great to have access to that when I need it, but I prefer the feel and speed of 4-string basses. I'm absolutely in love with my Custom-4. :)

The difference is there is lacquer everywhere, Body, back of neck, and on the fretboard. Not a lot of room for it to breathe. Unsure if his is the same way or not. Neck is very thing, and the new bridge is amazing. Pickup are just freaking great, and it personally feels better and sound way better than the standard stuff.

Geddy has the lacquer on the back of his neck sanded off. He mentioned that he's not sure what it would do to the neck long-term but then again he gets his basses for free. :)
The patch sounds a little boomy on the bottom end through my speakers. Maybe an adjustment of the low-cut would take care of that. I'll see if I can load the patch and take it for a test run to see if it's just the conversion.
Thanks for posting this! Geddy's tone is a big goal of mine. For guitar I want to get my own sound going but for bass I'd like to steal Geddy's.

AC I would love to see what you can get out of this.
Please re=post if you have any luck, and let us know what gear your using.
Thanks a mill for the info on Geddy.

AC I would love to see what you can get out of this.
Please re=post if you have any luck, and let us know what gear your using.
Thanks a mill for the info on Geddy.

I'm hooking up right now. I got an older model Geddy Lee sig bass so I'm not sure how different the pickups sound from the newer ones. The pots suck though. They're almost on/off switches.
There seems to be a lot of headroom with the SVT sim as I had trouble getting any gain out of it. My goal is to get Geddy's sound from the recent live dvds.

Hey Soundshell,
I used "Limbo" off of Test for Echo as a reference. Try this out and see if you have any luck with it. My ears are shot at this point. :)

Geddy Lee bass, all pots full up
Finger pick over the middle pickup

Amp sim - Euro Red (yep, that's right)
Page 1
Drive - 3.82
Bass - 2.36
Mid - 6.57
Treb - 5.00
Page 2
Presence - 5.67
Master - 5.00
ADV page
Low-cut 226.1
High-cut 12711

Cab sim
Red Wirez G12M-SM57-Cap Edge 1"

There's still room to tweak but through my speakers this is pretty close. I'd be interested to hear how it works for you. These settings are too trebly with a pick. I gave up on the SVT sim because I couldn't get the gain to sound right. Also, I have the Red Wirez SVT ir but that had too much bass.
On a side note, I took a Scotch Brite Red pad to the back of my neck to degloss it. This isn't as severe as sanding the finish off but it feels like a MusicMan neck now. Super-fast.

GOD! I love that Record!

I'll give this a try Monday morning, and let you know what I get. Anyway you could upload a patch , or post a pic of it?

GOD! I love that Record!

I'll give this a try Monday morning, and let you know what I get. Anyway you could upload a patch , or post a pic of it?

Actually I can't but that's because I'm pretty bad with the editor. I just wiped out all of my patches a few days ago by accident. Computers baffle me. :)
I gotta head out of the country and will be back at it Wednesday. There just a few tweaks that I want to do and then I'll make a sample and attempt to upload the patch.

Back
Top Bottom