Gear storage outdoors

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I would like to see if anyone has any experience storing gear outdoors.
Here is our application.

We have a new outdoor stage for summer use. The plan is to build a lockable storage unit on the back side of the stage for a PA system and other gear.
I do not yet know what this gear storage unit will look like. I do know it will not be temperature or humidity controlled.

What I do know is the temperature will range from ~50F at night to mid 90's in the summer.
The gear will be kept in this storage unit from June 1 to September 1.

Thanks.

The temperature in your storage unit will get well over 120°F. And it will be a delicious target for thieves. Hard pass.

With the hours it takes you to build that storage unit, you could do a lot of hauling between gigs. Not sure how many gigs it would take to pay for the materials.

The temperature in your storage unit will get well over 120°F. And it will be a delicious target for thieves. Hard pass.
screens_feature3-1.jpeg
Yeeeaaah… I'm gonna have to agree with this…

120ºF + high humidity is not being kind to your electronics or speakers. And, if that place doesn't have security watching it, it'll be an open invitation.

Where I live, 120º would be the starting point, and dust would be the second concern.

What I do know is the temperature will range from ~50F at night to mid 90's in the summer.
PA equipment should be fine being stored in those temperatures. HOWEVER, you will absolutely need to mitigate moisture or humidity.

I was abroad for over a year and kept my guitars in a home with temperatures ranging between 40 and 95 degrees. They are all fine.

The storage part for the gear is on the east side of the stage.
The gear storage unit will never be in direct sunlight, so I would think that the temperature will never go above
the ambient temperature mid 90's at the highest.

The gear storage unit will never be in direct sunlight, so I would think that the temperature will never go above
Sounds like you've made up your mind already and looking for people to agree?? ;)

I’d invest in several packs of these, and sprinkle them in obscure corners or pockets inside equipment bags and cases. They have their own security app and can work with Apple’s “Find My…” app.
Amazon product ASIN B0BN86R2HCI’d also take photos of each item and its serial number and share them with the band.

I don't follow. Where I live, sunlight gets to the eastern side of everything. At noon or 1 PM, being on the eastern side of even a tall multistory building offers no protection from the sun.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already and looking for people to agree?? ;)

I'm just trying to get opinions and any personal experience anyone has with this.
The storage space is currently being built. I do understand the risks of weather and theft.
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I don't follow. Where I live, sunlight gets to the eastern side of everything. At noon or 1 PM, being on the eastern side of even a tall multistory building offers no protection from the sun.
Where the stage is located, the area has very large Oak trees that will provide a lot of shade.

Some gear handles unconditioned storage ok, but PA gear often doesn’t. The grills and interior components tend to rust/corrode or even mold. I‘ve had to replace some high dollar gear over these moisture issues, so even though it crowds my music room badly, I keep it indoors now.

The temps may be an issue, but humidity would be the more likely to cause issues unless you live in a reasonably dry climate.

The theft issues mentioned are a concern. If folks watch you pack it away into a room after playing, it does heighten the chance of it being stolen or vandalized.

Some gear handles unconditioned storage ok, but PA gear often doesn’t. The grills and interior components tend to rust/corrode or even mold. I‘ve had to replace some high dollar gear over these moisture issues, so even though it crowds my music room badly, I keep it indoors now.

The temps may be an issue, but humidity would be the more likely to cause issues unless you live in a reasonably dry climate.

The theft issues mentioned are a concern. If folks watch you pack it away into a room after playing, it does heighten the chance of it being stolen or vandalized.

Yea, I completely agree!

I wouldn't do it unless it was conditioned. Humidity can cause unseen issues that even if no problems are noticed, it may shorten the life of the gear. You go to play, and suddenly something's not working... Isn't worth it to me.

Next year will be going on twenty years that we formed as a band and purchased our own P.A. and lighting rig. We carry a fairly large rig 4 double 18" subs, four three way tops, power amp racks, digital console, IEM monitoring system and powered wedges, lighting truss with 16 moving heads, etc. All of this has lived it's entire life in a 7 x 14 enclosed trailer jammed to the roof. The trailer has sat in my yard in Saskatchewan Canada all year from our 95 F high humidity summers to our -35F winters. We have never had an issue with the gear.

The trick is if you are moving the gear from the cold to a warm environment give it time to adjust before you open the cases. I like at least 2 hours. The only gear the comes in is our guitars, my AxeIII, and our laptop.

Back
Top Bottom