Gate threshold controlled by signal envelope

Chiguete

Experienced
So I thought this coudn't be done but I'm seeing now that there could be a way to do it but I can't figure it out so I need the help of you guys.

My idea is simple: to have the threshould of the gate move depending on how much signal comes from the pickups so one can clear up with the volume knob and don't have the notes cut out by the gate.

It's for me a simple idea that first one would need to figure out how much noise is in the signal without playing anything and then set the minimun and maximun values so that the dynamics of one playing with the vol knob or with one fingers can be determine by the envelope and your are set!!! Of course this is my rookie mind at work... but I think you guys can make it happend for everyone :)

Unless the noise is coming from your pickups, you can adjust the threshold to allow in the quietest notes you'll be playing and it will gate noise below that threshold regardless of how loud you play.

That's how to properly set a gate threshold: adjust upward until you are just cutting off the quietest signal, and then bring it back down a couple notches.

On the Axe-Fx you can set a different Sidechain source, so that the Noise Gate block is after the amp but the detector is looking for signal directly at the Input. That isn't available on the AX8.

Yeah, seems you just want the gate set low. First set with volume knob off. Then set with vol knob up and strings muted.

If still a problem, put a gate after amp and repeat.

So I thought this coudn't be done but I'm seeing now that there could be a way to do it but I can't figure it out so I need the help of you guys.

My idea is simple: to have the threshould of the gate move depending on how much signal comes from the pickups so one can clear up with the volume knob and don't have the notes cut out by the gate.

It's for me a simple idea that first one would need to figure out how much noise is in the signal without playing anything and then set the minimun and maximun values so that the dynamics of one playing with the vol knob or with one fingers can be determine by the envelope and your are set!!! Of course this is my rookie mind at work... but I think you guys can make it happend for everyone :)

If you want to try your idea, simply attach a modifier to the Threshold parameter on the Input Gate or Gate Block, and choose the Envelope as the controller. I don't think it will achieve what you have in mind.

Back
Top Bottom