Gate/Expander

Guitar-Tiz

Experienced
Not technically an Axe-II only question, but...

If you set the side chain to "input 1" , or any other path that goes straight to the guitar, does the gate/expander block behave similar to a decimator pro?

Yes, if you use it in conjunction with the main input noise gate as well. In fact, better, because it is stereo (Decimator is mono) and you have more than just a threshold (attack, release, etc).

Yes, if you use it in conjunction with the main input noise gate as well. In fact, better, because it is stereo (Decimator is mono) and you have more than just a threshold (attack, release, etc).

Just an FYI. There is a a stereo decimator. I have one. Also one thing that decimator has the axe-fx gate/expander does not is the filter tracking (freq dependent hi-freq filter). It was impractical to do with a filter on the ultra because the filters were really not steep enough. It might be A LOT better on the 2 because of the steeper filters and the min/max modifier parameters.

I had a Decimator ProRack G prior to getting my Ultra and subsequent II. The input gate plus gate/exp block work VERY well together.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what does "side chain" mean here? I looked up gate/expander in the axe-wiki and it uses that term but doesn't define it.

To use the gate/expander block like a decimator pro-rack, would you put it serial or parallel in the chain? And where should you put it? I'd guess first in line, but I've seen people put it after the amp block too. Thanks

Just an FYI. There is a a stereo decimator. I have one. Also one thing that decimator has the axe-fx gate/expander does not is the filter tracking (freq dependent hi-freq filter). It was impractical to do with a filter on the ultra because the filters were really not steep enough. It might be A LOT better on the 2 because of the steeper filters and the min/max modifier parameters.

So, lets say the new filters ARE steep enough in the II, how then, specifically, would you set it up to get it to work exactly like, or really close to a Decimator?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what does "side chain" mean here? I looked up gate/expander in the axe-wiki and it uses that term but doesn't define it.

To use the gate/expander block like a decimator pro-rack, would you put it serial or parallel in the chain? And where should you put it? I'd guess first in line, but I've seen people put it after the amp block too. Thanks
Dynamic range compression - Side-chaining

So, lets say the new filters ARE steep enough in the II, how then, specifically, would you set it up to get it to work exactly like, or really close to a Decimator?
You would attach pitch as a modifer source to the frequency of a low pass filter.

Back
Top Bottom