GarageBand latency issue

Robpags

Hi guys. Newbie here! I'm mostly a gigging musician and don't record at home. When at home, I use my axe fx straight USB into my iMac for learning new material and straight practicing. It works great for about 10 min and then a crazy 2-3 second latency issue arises. I have to close out my program and reset it to clear the issue. 10 min later the issue is back. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue? My mac is brand new with a ton of memory and power, so that's not the issue. The drivers are all up to date. No other programs running at the time.

Hi guys. Newbie here! I'm mostly a gigging musician and don't record at home. When at home, I use my axe fx straight USB into my iMac for learning new material and straight practicing. It works great for about 10 min and then a crazy 2-3 second latency issue arises. I have to close out my program and reset it to clear the issue. 10 min later the issue is back. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue? My mac is brand new with a ton of memory and power, so that's not the issue. The drivers are all up to date. No other programs running at the time.

Did anyone answer this question for you? I am having the same problem. Very annoying! I read somewhere its because Axe fx only transmits at 48hz and garage band cant deal with it?

I read somewhere its because Axe fx only transmits at 48hz and garage band cant deal with it?
GarageBand works wonderfully with the Axe-Fx. Who ever wrote that knows not what they speak of.

Last edited:
What's your buffer size setting on the Axe-Fx? Project is running at 48 kHz, correct?

Last edited:
What's your buffer size setting on the Axe-Fx? Project is running at 48 kHz, correct?
Usb buffer size is set to default size, 1024 but have tried them all. From what I have read in another thread on here is that Axe FX II has a fixed output at 48khz and Garage band runs at 41khz? It works great with no latency for about 5-10 minuets and then develops a horrible delay. I have a late 2014 Mac mini running High Sierra and have the latest Garageband. Seems I am not the only one with this problem as I have read another thread on here stating the same issues. Most replies say to use Logic Pro X or other DAW's where you can change the buffer size. ? Any help would be great. I can't really afford to go with pro x right now or do I need it. I just like noodling over rhythm and drum tracks to keep my chops up and if something cool comes out of it I save it. Not doing any professional recording at this time.

Usb buffer size is set to default size, 1024 but have tried them all. From what I have read in another thread on here is that Axe FX II has a fixed output at 48khz and Garage band runs at 41khz?
Yes the Axe-Fx is locked at 48 kHz, but no on GarageBand. You can set it to record at 48 kHz as well.

Here's my guide on how to set up GarageBand with your Fractal gear: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-with-garageband-to-record-and-re-amp.129257/

Try that?

I've been using GarageBand with Fractal hardware for many years without issue.

So if you select axe fx in and axe fx out how are you hearing "Monitoring" what you play I have my studio monitors connected to my headphone jack on my mac mini. The only way I can hear what I am playing is to select built in audio for my output. I think that is where the latency issue is happening. Also, what usb buffer setting should I have on the axe fx I/O? Thanks.

So if you select axe fx in and axe fx out how are you hearing "Monitoring" what you play I have my studio monitors connected to my headphone jack on my mac mini. The only way I can hear what I am playing is to select built in audio for my output. I think that is where the latency issue is happening.
Yes, don't do that. You should be using the AxeFx for input and output. Connect your headphones or your monitors to your AxeFx instead.

Also, what usb buffer setting should I have on the axe fx I/O? Thanks.

Start with a 1024 buffer size and move it down in increments until it's either as low as it can be set or your computer starts to drop audio and stutter the output.

Thanks for your input but my issue with monitoring direct from the Axe II is that if I want to listen to i tunes, you tube, ect I will have to have the Axe on or disconnect from the Axe and reconnect to my computer correct?

I run my monitor speakers through my MBP.

So basically, Axe Fx II into MBP via USB and Monitor speakers into MBP headphones output. I use he Axe as input and output in Garageband and also have my Axe hooked up to an FRFR Speaker through the Axe itself so I can hear the output through the speaker as well.

I've never had this latency issue with Garageband and have been running this rig for 4 years and recorded dozens of clips and demos.

What version OS are you running on your Mac? Have you loaded all the new drivers? How much RAM to you have? How many tracks are you trying to record?

I did recently have to get a New MBP as the old one was OLD and with all the OS updates, it no longer could run just about anything.

Thanks for your input but my issue with monitoring direct from the Axe II is that if I want to listen to i tunes, you tube, ect I will have to have the Axe on or disconnect from the Axe and reconnect to my computer correct?
What you use in GarageBand and what you use for audio for youtube can be entirely separate. They are for me.

My general computer audio routes through my Presonus Saffire Pro. My monitors and my headphones are connected to my Saffire Pro. The Axe-Fx II connects via SPDIF to the Saffire Pro -- the Saffire is acting as a glorified mixer, taking audio from the Fractal unit and the computer, blending it and presenting it to my monitors or headphones. And than in Logic X or GarageBand my input and output sources for my projects are always my Axe-Fx II.

You should NOT mix input and output sources in Logic X or GarageBand projects. That's a recipe for disaster.

I don't have an AI. I am going direct from my Axe II to my Mac Mini via USB. Mac Mini (Late 2014) is running High Sierra 10.13. It has a 2.6GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I still have 711GB available to answer Ron's question. This weird latency problem only happens with Garageband. I have Pro Tools First and a light version of Ableton and this doesn't happen with either of them. It works great for about five minuets, then starts to do this crazy delay thing. I really like Garageband for its simplicity and great drum tracks. I am not doing any serious recording, I just like to noodle over a click track or drum pattern and lay down guitar rhythm tracks, loop them and solo over them. Just trying to keep it small and simple in my office for the winter. I pulled my Axe out of my live rig, and put it on my desk when I realized I could use it as an interface after dinking around with a Focusrite2i, Garageband and amp plug ins when winter hit and I didn't feel like heating up my practice space in the garage. I don't care how awesome amplitude or anybody els thinks there amp and fx plug ins are they will never hold a candle to the Ax Fx. Jmho. Ha. I have a 3.5 m - RCA cable coming out of the Mac Mini to a Rokit 10" sub with two Rokit 5's on my desktop. Sounds pretty awesome! Nothing like live rig of course, (Axe II, MFC-101, Mesa Simul 292 or Matrix GT 800 power amp into two vintage 69-70 Marshall 4x12 cabs with original G12's in stereo) It's a paint stripper but not to wife and pet friendly. Now that I think about it it never had the problem with the Focusrite 2i but I took it back to Guitar Center when I had the brainiack idea to run my Ax Fx direct to my Mac? Thanks.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom