Gapless scene switching?

Fat Dad

Inspired
I have seen this topic through search a few times and on other forums as well, but I just watched a comparison video Cooper Carter put out showcasing the differences of the AxeFX3, FM9, and FM3. I noticed the fm9 had seamless scene switching and I couldn’t help but wonder if I missed something with the FM3 with an update or something OR if this has to do with the higher DSP in the FM9/dual amp block.

Scene switching itself has always been seamless. What causes the gap is changing channels on some blocks (amp or cab block for example). If you don't change channels, your scene switch will be seamless on all Fractal units.
With that, I must be referring to amp block channels. That’s generally the only thing I change in scenes.

Thank you guys for the explanation. By no means am I complaining. I’ve been gigging my FM3 for a year and have had zero issues. I honestly haven’t had the need for gapless switching. Just thought I might give it a try if it was possible. I think I’ll try using controllers like Leon Todd’s g66 video demonstrated.

Thank you guys for the explanation. By no means am I complaining. I’ve been gigging my FM3 for a year and have had zero issues. I honestly haven’t had the need for gapless switching. Just thought I might give it a try if it was possible. I think I’ll try using controllers like Leon Todd’s g66 video demonstrated.
I've been watching lots of vids trying to find out more about the gap experienced when switching amp/cab.
Can you give any insight on how long the gap is?
I'm currently gigging with an AX8 and curious if the FM3 is better/worse/same?

I've been watching lots of vids trying to find out more about the gap experienced when switching amp/cab.
Can you give any insight on how long the gap is?
I'm currently gigging with an AX8 and curious if the FM3 is better/worse/same?
It’s not a big gap in time or anything. It’s really like switching channels on an amp—there’s a quick sort silence or hesitation during the switch. I’ll see if I can upload a video example of my main preset later this evening.

It's not like there's a huge gap in time or anything there's brief pause or uncertainty before the changeover. Later this evening, I'll try if I can upload a video demonstration of my main setting.

Sorry, I fat-footed to my clean scene the first way through. And to be honest, the gap really isn’t that noticeable, but it is mid-song going into a solo. Once again, not a complaint really, just something I noticed. I’ve been able to make a great preset that uses the 5150iii 50w model that is seamless and GLORIOUS. But the below clip is of my main gigging preset I’ve used over the past year with the Atomica High.

Sorry, I fat-footed to my clean scene the first way through. And to be honest, the gap really isn’t that noticeable, but it is mid-song going into a solo. Once again, not a complaint really, just something I noticed. I’ve been able to make a great preset that uses the 5150iii 50w model that is seamless and GLORIOUS. But the below clip is of my main gigging preset I’ve used over the past year with the Atomica High.

Thank you for taking the time to do that.
Gap sounds similar to the AX8...which I've been fine with. (you get your timing down once you're used to it)

I've noticed this with any blocks that have a channel switch in them. I first thought I could solve by sticking with a single amp channel for the whole preset, but I've noticed it if there are any non-bypassed blocks which involve a channel switch (delay, reverb, chorus, etc). This is one reason I may go to the FM9 so that I can have multiple blocks of things I want to change rather than simply switching channels.

I've noticed this with any blocks that have a channel switch in them. I first thought I could solve by sticking with a single amp channel for the whole preset, but I've noticed it if there are any non-bypassed blocks which involve a channel switch (delay, reverb, chorus, etc). This is one reason I may go to the FM9 so that I can have multiple blocks of things I want to change rather than simply switching channels.
For me, I'm thinking FM3 because when I'm singing and playing guitar, my needs are very simple.
Distortion channel, clean channel....turn on some verb/delay and/or solo boost. Maybe a whammy pedal (using control switch).
I don't do anything complex (I don't use multiple delay or reverb channels).

For me, I'm thinking FM3 because when I'm singing and playing guitar, my needs are very simple.
Distortion channel, clean channel....turn on some verb/delay and/or solo boost. Maybe a whammy pedal (using control switch).
I don't do anything complex (I don't use multiple delay or reverb channels).
I get it. I've basically done this for all of my live presets; I don't have any channel changes on any blocks unless I am not worried about a gap. I'm relying on scene controllers a bit, but it does leave me a little limited (like if I want to change the "flavor" of delay I'm using). It works fine for me, but I would love to have a bit more flexibility.

One thing to consider is using a boost or drive pedal to gain stage vs. changing amp block channels. For example, I have use a BE100 amp for my main rhythm sound, with the gain at about 5. I can roll back volume and clean up easily, and then on another scene I add a drive pedal for more gain/solo amount of gain, and the switch is seamless. You could also do this in the preamp section of the amp block itself, but I like the additional control of a separate drive block.

Another idea that I'm experimenting: you can invest a little money in get an external preamp pedal (like Mooer mini preamps ones, there are so many models) and set it on the clean/brown sound you like. You must disable his own cab sim.
Put the Mooer in your FM3 FX loop.
Build a clean scene with your FM3 amp bypassed; go route your signal into FM3 FX loop (Moeer preamp is now making your clean sound); come back into your FM3 block with your FM3 cab active. Mooer preamp and FM3 cab are now making your clean sound.
When you switch to your "high gain scene", you have to enable your FM3 amp (take off the bypass) and you have to bypass the FX loop (so you are no more routing to the external Mooer clean preamp). FM3 amp and cab are now making your high gain sound.
Since you used only one FM3 amp and cab, the result is gapless scene switching.
BTW: this set up do not require you to use the footswitch on the Mooer pedal: it simply stays in a corner of your pedlaboard waiting for make your clean sound when you change scene with your FM3 footswitch.

Last edited:
Does anyone really think there are people in the audience that say, man that guy has really got to figure out how to get that seamless switching thing under control?
I know I would be tat guy. :)

Seriously though, this issue is more a distraction for me while I'm playing. It totally pulls me out of what I'm doing. I've also had people share video of gigs I've played and have to cringe if I watch it.

May want to try a new approach. Look at it as if you have a great amp but if you adjust settings for gain input trim whatever you could use that same amp to cover those three tones if only you could turn knobs between each scene which you can using the scene controller. More info on scene controllers on page 65 of the manual. It's really quite simple and oh so powerful.

Back
Top Bottom