Gapless scene switching?

No, but the lay music enthusiast will notice that the guitar player made a "mistake" or messed up the quick part change in the song.
Not sure how old you are, but those of us that have had those rack systems, huge pedal boards and played out in the smokey bars era are breathing a sigh of relief. The "mistakes" likely are not due to seamless switching. If I know that I'm going to another preset during a song, I can get my layout ready, hit a button and be there in about a second. For the guitarist in the audience really listening to me, my guess is that he is watching my technique, listening to my tone, and digging or not digging my style. Seriously, let's sing the praises where they are due. MHO

Not sure how old you are, but those of us that have had those rack systems, huge pedal boards and played out in the smokey bars era are breathing a sigh of relief. The "mistakes" likely are not due to seamless switching. If I know that I'm going to another preset during a song, I can get my layout ready, hit a button and be there in about a second. For the guitarist in the audience really listening to me, my guess is that he is watching my technique, listening to my tone, and digging or not digging my style. Seriously, let's sing the praises where they are due. MHO
Honestly, I agree with you. When I started this thread, I was really asking from a new user standpoint. The information I received on how to go about things has been monumentally helpful.

Not saying there aren't praises to be had because this is an awesome unit. Not sure how old you are but don't assume. I've been preforming on stages in front of national acts & the smallest of bars alike, long enough (since the 80's). Age is not the factor. I've had racks as big as a refrigerator that switched faster. Believe me, I don't want to go back to one of those. I AM too old to be lugging that shit around. I'm not talking about actual "mistakes" , but in a bar not everyone is intently watching you the whole time. They are there to have a good time. And if they hear something they can't explain or understand is perceived as a "mistake" . I am not making excuses for my actual mistakes 'cause they do happen (I am not perfect and getting old). So I know how to anticipate when the next part comes up for a preset or scene change. Anyhow enough about that, I'm not here to argue, just wanted to try to clearly explain my perspective. I hope you have much luck with getting gapless switching. Please share if you find any successful solutions, as I will be glad to make these improvements on my FM-3.

Anyhow I'll share that the best luck I've had is to stay on the same preset & scene. I use multiple CC messages to make sound changes whenever possible for the fastest sound changes when the sound gap with preset or scene changes are too long. (If I could get by with just using these, it would be perfect. Because these changes are real time, literally no gap)

JMHHO

Last edited:
I think complete gaplessness is awesome. Channels are the most convenient method, but I'm addicted to the full gapless potential, and I use it all the time. I'm using the Axe FX III, but the info I've written here may help anyone interested in using Scene Controllers and Multiplexers and avoiding any gaps at all,, and it would work just fine with the FM3 and FM9:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-construction-of-gapless-presets.176655/

And I've written a little more in this thread, with a preset example:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bring-the-scene-controllers-feature-to-the-next-level.177995/

Just to clarify about what I write translating to the FM3 and FM9, I know you can only run one amp block at a time on the FM3, but still using Scene Controllers as well as the Multiplexers, you can get gapless quickly. One quick thing to try is, rather than bypassing a drive between scenes, try keeping it on all the time, running your guitar input signal to your drive on one row, and the straight guitar signal to shunt in a row above or below, and have both rows go in to a Multiplexer. Now set the Mutliplexer to switch between those two rows between scenes (you can use Channels in the Mutliplexer gaplessly).

Also, for Scene Controllers, the easy thing to miss is, in each modifier menu, set the Attack and Release to 0 ms, and set the Update Rate to Fast.

Well ... here we go again :) If the gap is an issue, you have the option of buying the FM9 or AFXIII.

Or ...

.... don't use channel switching in amp block, use one amp that works great and use modifiers or some GEQ block to reduce the input gain of the AMP block to get a clean sound. Imagine having just a JCM800/900 tube head, which is only single channel. What would you do to make it sound clean as well as dirty? Since I have one amp which has only rhythm and lead channels, not even a clean, I already was doing this for my rig and it sounded fantastic.

To me, however, the FM3 with the last update is super fast in channel switching! When I bought it, it was worse, but they've done an amazing improvement.

Last edited:
I think complete gaplessness is awesome. Channels are the most convenient method, but I'm addicted to the full gapless potential, and I use it all the time. I'm using the Axe FX III, but the info I've written here may help anyone interested in using Scene Controllers and Multiplexers and avoiding any gaps at all,, and it would work just fine with the FM3 and FM9:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-construction-of-gapless-presets.176655/

And I've written a little more in this thread, with a preset example:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bring-the-scene-controllers-feature-to-the-next-level.177995/
I would be interested in trying the presets out, do you have fm3 versions?

@Intoodeep1113 I forgot to mention, the reason I don't have any presets right now that could be converted to FM3 is, for any gapless preset I make, I'm invariably using two amp blocks. But conceptually it doesn't matter. You can, e.g., on the FM3, set up three rows before your amp, the top one just a shunt with your guitar signal, then Drive 1 below it, and Drive 2 below that, and run all three into Multiplexer 1. Keep your amp and drives on Channel A only, but switch between rows on the Multiplexer using Channel switching (or switch Channels via Scene changes), and it will work gaplessly; switching Channels on the Mutiplexer does not introduce a gap. That's the very easiest way I know to do it. Then, if you want to get fancy, get into the Scene Controllers, and recreate my spreadsheet from the first thread I linked, and maybe try the Scene Controller percentages I suggest in the second thread I linked. You can get into complicated stuff and accomplish a hell of a lot with just one amp, two drives, and Scene Controllers plus Mutliplexers.

I decided to emulate using a FM3 before I buy one (using my Axe 3 and FC6).
FM3 would just be simpler rather than bringing my Axe 3 out.
Scene controllers are amazing for setting up one simple preset that does it all.
'Channels' is also a life saver in reducing the number of blocks in my preset.

Ok, well since FAS has their sale going on, I bought the FM3.
Got it this past Friday and dialed up my presets.

Getting chance to play around with it this weekend has put a few things to rest for me (that were in my head from reading social media posts, as well as posts on this forum).
- The switching gap (using scenes) is totally acceptable. I can 100% gig with this without using Scene Controllers (which are still awesome). Much better than using X/Y amps in the AX8.
- I've read where people claim it 'sounds a little different' than the Axe III. That's total BS. It sounds exactly the same. It crushes.
- 3 buttons is enough. I can do everything I need to (and more) with these 3 buttons (holy configurability!)
- I have one big preset for gigging and it has all amps/effects in this one preset...and I'm at 57% CPU. This unit has more than enough power for me.

Really impressed and upset I didn't buy one sooner! This unit is just amazing.

I will also confess that I downloaded the Nolly plug in by Neural, just to mess around with for the 14 day trial. I got some killer tones from the plug in and was LOVING it....then I went to my FM3 and got the same tone in under a minute. I have yet to find anything that Fractal doesn't solve for me.

Thank you Cliff and FAS team!!!!

Getting chance to play around with it this weekend has put a few things to rest for me (that were in my head from reading social media posts, as well as posts on this forum).
- The switching gap (using scenes) is totally acceptable. I can 100% gig with this without using Scene Controllers (which are still awesome). Much better than using X/Y amps in the AX8.
- I've read where people claim it 'sounds a little different' than the Axe III. That's total BS. It sounds exactly the same. It crushes.
- 3 buttons is enough. I can do everything I need to (and more) with these 3 buttons (holy configurability!)
- I have one big preset for gigging and it has all amps/effects in this one preset...and I'm at 57% CPU. This unit has more than enough power for me.

I will also confess that I downloaded the Nolly plug in by Neural, just to mess around with for the 14 day trial. I got some killer tones from the plug in and was LOVING it....then I went to my FM3 and got the same tone in under a minute. I have yet to find anything that Fractal doesn't solve for me.

As I am waiting for the delivery of FM3, I must say that I am pleased with your opinion.
I wonder what my comparison between FM3 and FXIII will be :)

Try out the feature in Setup -> Utilities / Preset (tab) -> Upgrade All Presets. Push button 'A', wait till end. Let me know if it's only my impression, or if it happens for you as well, but to me it seems, that the channel switching after that seems immediate. ;)

Try out the feature in Setup -> Utilities / Preset (tab) -> Upgrade All Presets. Push button 'A', wait till end. Let me know if it's only my impression, or if it happens for you as well, but to me it seems, that the channel switching after that seems immediate. ;)
I don't think I've tried this yet. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Yeah...I have no idea how folks can complain about scene switching speeds. I have to imagine it's 100% about folks who do ambient stuff. In that isolated case where one might need to switch reverb settings since we only have 1 reverb block...that absolutely could be jarring/abrupt enough where the FM3 isn't going to solve everything inside the box. Outside that....I just don't get it.

For me, being the lone guitar player in a cover band, the main problem I have is switching back and forth from acoustic/super clean sounds to overdriven/distorted electric sounds. For example the song Jack and Diane from JCM comes to mind. I have had no problem with this sound change with previous other processors I've used. The FM 3 would be an upgrade sound wise from the other units which I would just do a preset change. There is a quick change back and forth between 2 different sounds. I find it very tricky with the fm3 to achieve this. But I am working on it, someone mentioned using the multiplexer. I haven't tried that approach yet and am going to try and work it out that way

Last edited:
For me, being the lone guitar player in a cover band, the main problem I have is switching back and forth from acoustic/super clean sounds to overdriven/distorted electric sounds. For example the song Jack and Diane from JCM comes to mind. I have had no problem with this sound change with previous other processors I've used. The FM 3 would be an upgrade sound wise from the other units which I would just do a preset change. There is a quick change back and forth between 2 different sounds. I find it very tricky with the fm3 to achieve this. But I am working on it, someone mentioned using the multiplexer. I haven't tried that approach yet and am going to try and work it out that way
Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but if you have a 'Hold' function on a switch, the 'Press' function won't fire until the switch is released. This will make the scene change seem delayed, or have a bigger gap than it really does. If there is a big gap, there might be some solutions to mitigate, or eliminate it.

Post an example preset for others to check out and offer suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom