Game changer for dialing presets!

Thanks! I will have a look at REW and look for a measurement mic. Eq-ing seems then the way to go, to prevent risk of overfitting (though I understood with arc studio there are options to apply less granular, more crude corrections). Regarding latency, I think it should be possible to shoot an IR of the arc studio with the correction applied, by putting it in the loop of axe fx (similar as capturing a factory cab, see the wiki). Then replacing the hardware of arc studio by loading the ir in the ir player within the axe fx should eliminate the additional latency.

You've always been able to do that with REW...there's no point in using Arc Studio for that measurement. The advantage to Arc Studio over an IR Player blocks is: it applies the correction to all audio before it reaches the speaker. Using an IR Player blocks requires you to modify all presets and even then it does not apply to pass through audio.

Ah, yes, good point that each preset needs the ir player block then. I saw that earlier in the thread indeed. But you can pass audio via input USB block (from outputs 7+8 from computer) through the ir player block, right?

Ah, yes, good point that each preset needs the ir player block then. I saw that earlier in the thread indeed. But you can pass audio via input USB block (from outputs 7+8 from computer) through the ir player block, right?

Yes, you can, but that can get complicated. You need the IR applied to both the separate monitor paths from the Axe-FX and from the DAW, but not to the wet signal you're recording. And that needs to be done to all presets. That will require multiple outputs and multiple IR Player blocks. It can be done, but it makes the simple use of Arc Studio pretty attractive in comparison :).

Yes, you can, but that can get complicated. You need the IR applied to both the separate monitor paths from the Axe-FX and from the DAW, but not to the wet signal you're recording. And that needs to be done to all presets. That will require multiple outputs and multiple IR Player blocks. It can be done, but it makes the simple use of Arc Studio pretty attractive in comparison :).

I see. I was experimenting with a PEQ block with similar purpose last week, passing through audio and guitar signal for output for my speakers but not for output for FOH, and it got quite messy indeed. But still... Advantage of PEQ block is that it supports global blocks, which is not the case for IR player block I just found out.

@GlennO the new RME firmware can do room correction EQ. It can also load curves from Sonarworks (not sure about REW). 9 bands only but that can already do a lot.

https://rme-audio.de/totalmix-fx-room-eq.html

You can export a table of parametric EQ settings from REW, and you're right, you can a lot with 9 bands of EQ, but it sure would be nice if it had the ability to import a correction IR. And, as I mentioned earlier, it would be nice to see this in an audio interface that doesn't require taking out a mortgage on my home to buy one.

Mine arrived today (woohoo).
I did a quick (well I was n a hurry so didn't worry too much about mic placements) 21 point analysis, with my 15 inch three way monitors and it seems pretty good.
A month or two ago, I did a thorough REW analysis ad setup a parametric EQ to smooth out the room. The ARC studio does very similar.

thanks
Pauly

I see. I was experimenting with a PEQ block with similar purpose last week, passing through audio and guitar signal for output for my speakers but not for output for FOH, and it got quite messy indeed. But still... Advantage of PEQ block is that it supports global blocks, which is not the case for IR player block I just found out.

I started doing this with my IEMs based on corrections from either squig.link or autoeq.app, and....my IEMs are very good, so the difference is small. But, it's a noticeable improvement.

Oddly enough, this journey started with wanting to try out headphones (which I've never been a huge fan of...always preferred IEMs), and I'm very quickly becoming a convert to somewhat manual corrections. Sadly, the FM3 doesn't have the IR convolver device....and that little thing is quickly climbing the list of reasons to upgrade.

@GlennO the new RME firmware can do room correction EQ. It can also load curves from Sonarworks (not sure about REW). 9 bands only but that can already do a lot.

https://rme-audio.de/totalmix-fx-room-eq.html

Well, that's pretty cool. Thanks for the head's up.

Just got mine in the mail and found out I need a separate audio interface to plug in the mic for measurement.

Also, you have to jump through all the hoops of registration and downloading their product manager software to access your free download of the Arc 4 software. For a minute, it looked like I was going to have to pay an extra $200 for the software until I figured it out.

Sharing for anyone else who decides to hop on the bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom