Gain Enhancer Appreciation Thread

I'm liking it generally about 2 or a bit less, but I also find that I'm having to back off on the input gain to the amp quite a bit when I use it. I tend to use mid-gain amps, or amps on the verge of breakup. Dialing in the Gain Enhancer really seems to add gain more than I'd expect pure acoustic feedback to do.
Instead of reducing input gain you can increase the Compressor Threshold.

All it does is shift the curve. The compression ratio doesn't change so it's the same as lowering input gain.
I figured that, but I think at default settings I am just always in the deeper part of the curve. I’ll tinker more tonight. But again, thanks for this feature! It’s worth whatever tinkering I have to do!

I made an Adam Jones patch recently since I'm on a Tool kick due to the Fear Inoculum release, and Gain Enhancer really gets me where I want to be, especially when rolling off the volume for those clean Les Paul treble pickup parts. A big part of Jones' sound is that cranked "amp is going to explode" verge of armageddon thing, and Gain Enhancer around 2 or 3 does a lot to help with that. I'll try to post my patch when I get home from work.

If anyone has any tips on how to turn the Plexi into a SuperBass in the Axe, that would be awesome :) So far I just turned off the bright cap, but wondering if there are more tweaks to get closer.

This is half joking but is this like the Blackstar TVP button where it sounds so much better with it on that you would never think about running it off? (I didnt get to mess with it this weekend before I left for the week...)

definitely up for discussion, but I'm not even sure if this shouldn't be moved to the Cab block, or added to the Cab block as well. for some reason I associate that effect with a speaker...
That makes some sense from a user standpoint, but I don't think it works from a technical standpoint. It basically has to add that signal back into the front end of the Amp block. Having it in the Amp block means everything is contained within that block. If the control is in the Cab block, then there are ways it could get weird/complicated. What if your amp is running into 2 cabs? What if two Amps are feeding into the same Cab?

Also keep in mind there are other speaker characteristics that are modeled in the Amp block currently, like the Impedence mismatch and Speaker Resonance. It's done that way because it works better from a technical standpoint, even though it logically seems like a Cab characteristic.

I definitely agree with the general sentiment that this feels like a really important, fundamental function that should be more visible/accessible than other deep editing parameters in the Amp block.

I think it might be cool to have a global offset control, similar to what we have for Reverb, noise gate, etc. That way you could map that control to Perform tab and adjust all your amp blocks/channels with one knob on the fly to suit the venue.

I think it might be cool to have a global offset control, similar to what we have for Reverb, noise gate, etc. That way you could map that control to Perform tab and adjust all your amp blocks/channels with one knob on the fly to suit the venue.

Now THIS would be cool!

Resurrecting this thread...

I was messing around with Output Compression/Gain Enhancer this evening just to add a little something something to my AC-20 patch and wow! I recently installed a long overdue treble bleed circuit to my Tele and the Gain Enhancer really gives you a ton of control when finessing the volume knob to go between a clean, edge of breakup, and all out balls. God I love this machine!

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread...

I was messing around with Output Compression/Gain Enhancer this evening just to add a little something something to my AC-20 patch and wow! I recently installed a long overdue treble bleed circuit to my Tele and the Gain Enhancer really gives you a ton of control when finessing the volume knob to go between a clean, edge of breakup, and all out balls. God I love this machine!
It also does a good job on lead sounds to get that "air frying" midrange on lead sounds with dirtier amps. I use it at about 2 for those, and at about 1 for cleaner sounds, just to get a little of that "playing loud" feel/sound going.

It also does a good job on lead sounds to get that "air frying" midrange on lead sounds with dirtier amps. I use it at about 2 for those, and at about 1 for cleaner sounds, just to get a little of that "playing loud" feel/sound going.
Yeah, I’m going to experiment a little on my gig presets.

So I've only had my Axe III since late December and haven't even looked at or known of gain enhancer yet. There's still so much to unpack and now Cygnus is around the corner.

So I've only had my Axe III since late December and haven't even looked at or known of gain enhancer yet. There's still so much to unpack and now Cygnus is around the corner.
I've gotten great results with the default parameters and just putting it on like .5. I do that on every tone without even thinking or trying to "dial it in." Super easy. Give it a try!

I'm glad this thread got resurrected. Been working on a Herbie Ch3 preset and it was just missing a little something. Gain enhancer was exactly it!
Love the Herbie CH3. Trying adjusting the Cathode Follower Compression to make it sound less compressed and more organic.

Back
Top Bottom