FX8 with audio interface and Ableton 10

Stacy Mack

Hi there,

I apologize if the answers are somewhere in the forum, but i have looked all over then internet and haven't found any answers.

I'm curious if anyone has used the FX8 direct into an interface and into a DAW from there?

I use Ableton for looping in shows and for recording. Ive been primarily recording direct into a tube pre amp and then into a Scarlett 18i20, from then i build all the delays and effects from then on. It seems to be woking fine, however, i am looking for something with more versatility.

I am not necessarily looking for an amp mod tho. I might be playing through amps at some point, so dont exactly need the AX8.

Any sort of information would be greatly helpful. Is there any signal loss with that approach? Is there another setup that would work along side of the FX8..?

Thanks so much,
CHeers!

Hi there,

I apologize if the answers are somewhere in the forum, but i have looked all over then internet and haven't found any answers.

I'm curious if anyone has used the FX8 direct into an interface and into a DAW from there?

I use Ableton for looping in shows and for recording. Ive been primarily recording direct into a tube pre amp and then into a Scarlett 18i20, from then i build all the delays and effects from then on. It seems to be woking fine, however, i am looking for something with more versatility.

I am not necessarily looking for an amp mod tho. I might be playing through amps at some point, so dont exactly need the AX8.

Any sort of information would be greatly helpful. Is there any signal loss with that approach? Is there another setup that would work along side of the FX8..?

Thanks so much,
CHeers!

FX8 direct into an interface will sound thin and quite bad. It is solely an effects unit and provides no preamp, power amp or speaker emulation. You can set the FX8 to line level output, but without speaker emulation or the like, I don't think you'll be happy with the results and there is other hardware much more suited to the task. AX8 would really be your best bet for an all in one solution into an interface/DAW.

FX8 direct into an interface will sound thin and quite bad. It is solely an effects unit and provides no preamp, power amp or speaker emulation. You can set the FX8 to line level output, but without speaker emulation or the like, I don't think you'll be happy with the results and there is other hardware much more suited to the task. AX8 would really be your best bet for an all in one solution into an interface/DAW.
All true. However, if the OP's DAW offers amp modeling on the channel strip, then placing the FX8 between the guitar and DAW input will behave just fine. I'm actually not aware of too many DAWs at this point that don't offer some rudimentary amp modeling for recording electric guitar.

All true. However, if the OP's DAW offers amp modeling on the channel strip, then placing the FX8 between the guitar and DAW input will behave just fine. I'm actually not aware of too many DAWs at this point that don't offer some rudimentary amp modeling for recording electric guitar.
Ableton does have amp modeling, and i have been using that as my primary guitar tones, so all in all, the FX8 might work for me. I dont want it to sound thin, tho. But i am looking for more effects than maybe the AX8 would have.
I plan on maybe using an amp for my set up eventually, so that would benefit too

Ableton does have amp modeling, and i have been using that as my primary guitar tones, so all in all, the FX8 might work for me. I dont want it to sound thin, tho. But i am looking for more effects than maybe the AX8 would have.
I plan on maybe using an amp for my set up eventually, so that would benefit too
With the exception of the Megatap Delay in the FX8 and the Amp and Cab blocks in the AX8, they have exactly the same effects but the FX8 has some effects that allows 2 blocks of the same effect to be used.

Here's a list of the effects in all 4 Fractal products, the number in parenthesis, e.g. (2), next to the name of the effect shows how many of that effect block can be used in one preset. No number next to the effect indicates only one instance of that effect can be used.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects_list

My advice is that if you are someone (like myself) who foresees using physical guitar amplifiers forever, then go with the FX8. I have no desire to get back into amp modeling. Oh sure I guess you can bypass all that stuff in the AX8, but for me the FX8 is a more focused product that supports they way my rig is put together.

Back
Top Bottom