FX8 with a Mesa Dual Rec

Draggin

Hey all,

Anyone using a FX8 with a Mesa Dual Rec (not the multi-watt)? So it has the parallel effects loop.
I've been on the fence about getting the FX8 but want to pull the trigger. I'm ready to overhaul my pedalboard/effects.
Just wanted to know if any users out there had good or bad experiences with this particular setup.

Thanks for any help!

PS. I wanted to upgrade so I don't need to tap dance plus the great sounds that I've heard so far from this unit.

I had the duel rectifier reborn and it worked fine with the fx8 mark I. No problems at all that I remember everything worked and sounded great. I have since gone back to a Mesa Mark Iv and added a Mesa JP2C (I am a Mark guy) both work great with the fx8 Mark I & Mark II

Thanks for the reply. I believe the Reborn Duals have a series effects loop though. Not sure if that would make the FX8 as good with my parallel effects loop one. That's one of my concerns.

On another note, did you use the FX8 to channel switch as well? 4 cable method hookup too or just in the effects loop?
Thanks!

I had an older Rec with the parallel loop. I did some research on the net and found the series loop mod. If I remember correct it was simply un-soldering 2 wires and splicing them together. Either way it's a super simple mod.

I had an older Rec with the parallel loop. I did some research on the net and found the series loop mod. If I remember correct it was simply un-soldering 2 wires and splicing them together. Either way it's a super simple mod.
I did this to my old Recto (rev G) recently and can confirm it's both simple and effective.

Thanks for the replies. I know about the series mod but it comes with losing a couple of functions of the amp. So I was curious if anyone used the FX8 with the Dual (parallel loop) as is. I also keep my mix knob at 100% as well.
Thanks again all and I think I'll be getting the FX8!

+1 on the series mod. Very simple to do. I don't know what features you lose, but I would imagine the Fx8 would be able to do the same and more. It doesn't defeat the front loop volume knob if that's what you mean.

If I remember correctly you lose the solo function and fx assignment (ex. channel 1 always has fx on).

But like you said the FX8 should be able to handle it. And I plan to use it to channel switch too so everything can be switched when I hit the footswitch on the FX8.
I'm planning on only having the FX8 and maybe an expression pedal on the pedalboard. And maybe a tuner cause I'm so used to it.

Thanks for the help!

Yep exactly. With the FX8 in the loop, it'll handle those functions rather than the amp (and more!). You won't lose anything in reality. I found the serial mod improved the tone globally, if the loop was on which it always was, because there was always some out of phase signal being mingled with the direct tone. There are several versions of the mod, some less complicated than others. Good luck!

Cool, I never had an issue with my tone so unless it sounds weird with the FX8 in 4 cable method, I'll look to do the mod afterwards.
Thanks again!

I had the duel rectifier reborn and it worked fine with the fx8 mark I. No problems at all that I remember everything worked and sounded great. I have since gone back to a Mesa Mark Iv and added a Mesa JP2C (I am a Mark guy) both work great with the fx8 Mark I & Mark II

What did you use to connect to the FX8 in order to switch the amp channels?

Back
Top Bottom