FX8 will meet a Soldano Hot Rod 25...

The meeting of the FX8 and HR25 has been a bit of a disappointment. First off, the amp sounds fantastic at the low volumes I've been playing at this evening. The drives work really nice with the HR25. Channel switching via relay works. The bummer is that it hums in 4cm hookup. I've got FAS humbuster cables. There is a low hum that is pretty much a constant tone and level.

So I went ahead with this rig on Sunday and everything sounded great. I guess I screwed up my scene programming somehow because I didn't get channel switching where I wanted it in one spot but otherwise it worked and sounded great.

The hum is still very much there. It is just at a constant volume that is fairly low so you can't here it when you're playing but it is there. I swapped cables around a ton. The hum was the same with and without humbuster cables. My Two Rock didn't have this problem and neither did any other config I've tried. I'm got an Ebtech somewhere that I may try to see if that helps.

I'm not experiencing any him. Some drives add a lot more noise with the increased / high gain. I set the noise gate to keep it quiet when not playing. Oth r than high gain drives, the unit has been incredibly quiet for me.

I'm not experiencing any him. Some drives add a lot more noise with the increased / high gain. I set the noise gate to keep it quiet when not playing. Oth r than high gain drives, the unit has been incredibly quiet for me.

What is your config?

What is your config?

First configuration was FX8 4cm with my HK Tubemeister 36 redbox xlr out from the amp to FOH. Guitar went through a Digitech Voice Live three first which was also connected to the pa via it's XLR. So a couple of points for ground loop.

Configuration tested last night for Friday gig is with a Tech21 Blonde instead of the amp. Input on the FX8 is fed by a Sony wireless. Blonde and wireless are powered by a 1 spot. Output of the FX8 to a Groove Tubes DI. 1/4" out of the DI to an Alto TS110a powered speaker. Xlr from the DI to the Pa. No grounds lifted and no hum.

Interesting..

So, take this with full grain of salt because it's probably not the FX8 and something with my amp or my cables...

BUT.. I also ran into hum issues using 4cm, but only when I also connected a relay to my amp's footswitch input. I tested the relay and it worked fine, but there was a definite hum increase on both channels when connected. Enough to be annoying, but not unuseable.

But wait.. there's more!!!

I made my own 4CM cable snake containing 2 Humbuster cables and one regular, plus one with TRS on both ends for the relay channel switch. I used right-angle 1/4"connectors on both ends, for better fit in my pedalboard case, and so they'd hang straight down off the amp at the other end). Because the jacks are close enough together, it is easy to rotate/position the 90 degree plug ends such that the outsides of the connectors can touch. That shouldn't matter in the least, but I found that I'd get a MASSIVE buzzing sound as soon as the relay and out 1 plug ends contacted each other. WAY more buzz, unuseable. I double checked my cable soldering and it was all good. WTF?

So I was looking at either using straight 1/4"plugs to prevent contact, wrapping them in tape or some other material to isolate them... OR simply not use relay switching at all. Truth it, my amp has a great clean channel and I can get excellent crunch and lead tones for my purposes using drives on the FX8. So I'm probably just going to skip amp channel switching altogether.

The stock footswitch the amp came with has LEDs. I don't think there's a battery in it. I need to open it and check for sure, but if not there must be some low voltage on the wire just to light up the LEDs. Maybe this voltage is creating buzz with the FX8????

Last edited:
I'm using the 4-cable method with a Series I Budda SuperDrive 30 and I have also set up a relay block for channel switching. I can't say I noticed any increase in hum after adding the relay block, but I'll test it again when I get a chance in a few days. I'll have to double check, but I do not think the older style Budda foot switch has an LED.

I'm using the 4-cable method with a Series I Budda SuperDrive 30 and I have also set up a relay block for channel switching. I can't say I noticed any increase in hum after adding the relay block, but I'll test it again when I get a chance in a few days. I'll have to double check, but I do not think the older style Budda foot switch has an LED.

My newer than yours Budda does not have an LED on the footswitch.

Back
Top Bottom