FX8 spilloverr

putting reverb/delay in parallel and using scenes to switch on/off bypass state should accomplish spillover without changing presets, correct? If scenes corrected this issue for the AxeFxII, then why the worry?

The issue was not corrected. It's a workaround, at best. As someone who heavily relies on the "FX" part of the AxeFX in a professional setting, this is very disappointing.

Having to align fx blocks across multiple presets like we're currently required to do can be incredibly time consuming and leaves a ton of room for error. Whenever I'm editing presets for the original project I play with, I have to specifically schedule time to spend wrangling with the faux-spillover. It's truly an incredible waste of time.

Also, some FX still don't support spillover, e.g. Multidelay. This managed to really bite me in the ass at a recording session recently.

The issue was not corrected. It's a workaround, at best. As someone who heavily relies on the "FX" part of the AxeFX in a professional setting, this is very disappointing.

Having to align fx blocks across multiple presets like we're currently required to do can be incredibly time consuming and leaves a ton of room for error. Whenever I'm editing presets for the original project I play with, I have to specifically schedule time to spend wrangling with the faux-spillover. It's truly an incredible waste of time.

Also, some FX still don't support spillover, e.g. Multidelay. This managed to really bite me in the ass at a recording session recently.

Every delay and reverb type can be used as a spillover using Scenes. If utilizing Scenes solves the problems, what is it that prevents you from implementing them to solve spillover? Please elaborate, thanks! :encouragement:

there's very little i can't do with the axe. it might mean doing things a little differently than you're use to but just learn the new techniques. you may even stumble upon something even more bad a$$. sometimes it requires thinking outside the proverbial box.

Every delay and reverb type can be used as a spillover using Scenes. If utilizing Scenes solves the problems, what is it that prevents you from implementing them to solve spillover? Please elaborate, thanks! :encouragement:

I'll admit that I don't have Axe FX and haven't used these scenes, but, if I understand correctly the way they work (and I'll be happy if someone corrects me), the scenes within a preset are much more limiting than traditionally organized presets within a bank. With the scenes, you must have a number of effects and scenes only switch them on and off (well, you also have the X/Y settings for each effect). This means, I'm guessing, that you cannot have five different delays within a song. And I personally sometimes need even more than that. I need different types, different tempos, and combinations thereof.

I'll admit that I don't have Axe FX and haven't used these scenes, but, if I understand correctly the way they work (and I'll be happy if someone corrects me), the scenes within a preset are much more limiting than traditionally organized presets within a bank. With the scenes, you must have a number of effects and scenes only switch them on and off (well, you also have the X/Y settings for each effect). This means, I'm guessing, that you cannot have five different delays within a song. And I personally sometimes need even more than that. I need different types, different tempos, and combinations thereof.

Scene modifiers...there are two of them. You can attach a scene modifier to the delay time of an echo and alter its value on a scene by scene basis, giving you up to 8 different delay times within one preset using the same delay type. This also doesn't account for utilizing X/Y states or multiple delay iterations within a preset. Depending on how your preset is loaded up, you have a lot of different ways go about things. If your MIDI controller allows multiple CC assignments per switch press, you still can use old fashioned control modifiers in conjunction with scenes for even more flexibility, with the non-scene control modifier supplying the CC for delay time.

Thanks for your reply, this eases some concerns.

But still, if I understand correctly, that's still one type of delay that can be modified this way, right? Can I have digital, double, dynamic, analog and reverse within the same preset? Given that FX8 has only 8 effect slots, if different effect types count as different effects, the scenes just won't do it in some cases. This may not be a problem with the Axe, but here you get eight effects per song.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, this eases some concerns.

But still, if I understand correctly, that's still one type of delay that can be modified this way, right? Can I have digital, double, dynamic, analog and reverse within the same preset? Given that FX8 has only 8 effect slots, if different effect types count as different effects, the scenes just won't do it in some cases. This may not be a problem with the Axe, but here you get eight effects per song.

vangrieg, apologies....the last few posts above were in reference to the SCENES feature being added to the AxeFxII a while ago as a better way to manage changing of sounds in live performance (as opposed to preset change). My last response was regarding the AxeFxII, not the FX8 (the subject of this thread). You are correct that there are a different set of limitations in the FX8 that the AxeFxII does not have. Since the full product spec (owners manual) has not been published, and beta testers are being pretty quiet about the FX8, I can't offer up anything definitive about the floor board and its functions. We'll all be waiting for that...soon, I hope!

Back
Top Bottom