FX8 Mark II looks sweeeet!

I'm already on the waitlist for the FX8. Does that carry over to the FX8 Mark II or should I send another waitlist email, I wonder.

I'm already on the waitlist for the FX8. Does that carry over to the FX8 Mark II or should I send another waitlist email, I wonder.
from the announcement:

The FX8 Mark II will begin shipping Q3 of 2016 for $1249.95 (direct) in the US and Canada.
To sign up for the waitlist, please visit our store or contact the dealer for your region.

There is no need to contact us if you previously signed up on the waitlist for the original FX8 (discontinued); we'll automatically move your name to the new waitlist for a Mark II.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/announcing-fx8-mark-ii-multi-fx-pedalboard.115531/

Might be in the minority here but I prefer the MK1 looks wise and can't see the reason to "upgrade" purely for a 18db pad for the front end.

An extra row of buttons or more CPU would be a different matter..the MK2 moniker makes it look like its new and improved where as it isn't and ultimately is going to devalue our original units somewhat as people will think the 2 "must" be better..

Might be in the minority here but I prefer the MK1 looks wise and can't see the reason to "upgrade" purely for a 18db pad for the front end.

An extra row of buttons or more CPU would be a different matter..the MK2 moniker makes it look like its new and improved where as it isn't and ultimately is going to devalue our original units somewhat as people will think the 2 "must" be better..
Hmm, "Mark II" is the way to note that it is a different model. Not sure what else they could have said, since that's what you say. The Axe-Fx II Mark I is still holding its value, and that's 3 versions old.

Perhaps since there isn't so much difference between the FX8 Mark I and II, the Mark I WON'T devalue.

Hmm, "Mark II" is the way to note that it is a different model. Not sure what else they could have said, since that's what you say. The Axe-Fx II Mark I is still holding its value, and that's 3 versions old.

Perhaps since there isn't so much difference between the FX8 Mark I and II, the Mark I WON'T devalue.

The Mark I was $1349 new. The Mark II is $1249. So yes, the Mark I will devalue a bit...

If there isn't that much difference I just can't see the justification for a MKII designation, that's all it does is make us original FX8 owners feel that we now have an outdated model and the price drop - well that makes me feel a whole lot better, gee thanks...

"Mark" or any other model number designation simply notes a change. it can be big, it can be small. aside from the facts, any other perceived valuation is aside from fact.

it's not up to us to justify anything.
If there isn't that much difference I just can't see the justification for a MKII designation, that's all it does is make us original FX8 owners feel that we now have an outdated model and the price drop - well that makes me feel a whole lot better, gee thanks...

and that just about sums it up...

Sorry Chris, you're a really good guy on here and you have helped 1000's of us with things, but comments like that just leaves a bad taste.

Like I say, I'm obviously in the minority here with not seeing things like everyone else and digging the new FX8, if it was a true evolution of the unit with more features and more CPU then I would say good on you Fractal, however with just a small cosmetic upgrade to the faceplate and a bigger pad level I'm sorry but I just don't get it - take the MK evolution of another Musical device - the Boogie MK series of amps - I through to V - now there's a true justification of the word - each model different from other with a distinct improvement between each MK...

Minority here so don't expect to win, but also don't expect the defensive responses.

"Mark" or any other model number designation simply notes a change. it can be big, it can be small. aside from the facts, any other perceived valuation is aside from fact.

Yeah...not sure what else to call it. Mark II sits fine with me. Now that they have the AX8, it makes sense for them to keep the chassis and silk screening essentially the same for both units.

And hats off to Fractal for lowering the price of the Mark II a bit. Now that the R&D costs have likely been recouped and production has become more streamlined, it's nice to see a bit of the savings passed on to the customers. Most companies never do that...certainly not for technology this new. Not sure that was their intent but I'm not complaining.

Like I say, I'm obviously in the minority here with not seeing things like everyone else and digging the new FX8, if it was a true evolution of the unit with more features and more CPU then I would say good on you Fractal, however with just a small cosmetic upgrade to the faceplate and a bigger pad level I'm sorry but I just don't get it - take the MK evolution of another Musical device - the Boogie MK series of amps - I through to V - now there's a true justification of the word - each model different from other with a distinct improvement between each MK...

Minority here so don't expect to win, but also don't expect the defensive responses.

.......so your unit takes a 2-3 hundred dollar hit.......you'll probably survive.

Fractal obviously feels it's in their future interest to add a couple tweaks to the FX8 that they hadn't considered when designing the original one that you bought.

Should they not make these changes(minor or not) that they feel is important to their product just because the one you bought will go down in value?

Last edited:
.......so your unit takes a 2-3 hundred dollar hit.......you'll probably survive.

Fractal obviously feels it's in their future interest to add a couple tweaks to the FX8 that they hadn't considered when designing the original one that you bought.

Should they not make these changes(minor or not) that they feel is important to their product just because the one you bought will go down in value?

yeah, whatever, I'm in the minority here and I get that, not going over my whole spiel all over again, its my opinion and thats that.

Couldn't really give one about value, they devalue as soon as they leave the warehouse - normal retail rules - mines paid for itself already..

I'm just more annoyed with the fact that us original unit owners will now undoubtebly see a steeper dip in devaluation and desirability in the ever changing world of gear by what looks to be a paint job and 18db pad..

... I'm obviously in the minority here with not seeing things like everyone else and digging the new FX8 ...

I totally get what you're saying, and I too, found myself asking: That's all it takes to go from a mark I to a mark II?

They had to call it something. As small & few as the changes may seem, they're not nothing. What might have happened if they hadn't re-named it after changing the color, foot switch numbers, along with the other improvements? It's not as though Fractal hasn't gone into the realm of "mark II" before with their other products.

I'm sure the new pad & noise floor improvements are very nice additions. The renumbering of the switches seems an odd decision given that the v3 firmware renders the foot switch numbering somewhat irrelevant on both the mk 1 & 2 models anyway. I'm sure they wanted some uniformity with the AX8 switch numbering. I get it.

Will both versions still be using the same firmware?

Back
Top Bottom