FX8 Mark II looks sweeeet!

I completely agree. That was the answer that was given to me. Since they have a Mark II I believed them. I will post my patch with you guys who have the Mark II and tell me if you can open and tweak. Maybe my patch is bad and post back.
it loads a VH Test Preset on the FX8 Mark II. this means it will load correctly on a Mark I as well. the other guy probably confused the AX8 for an FX8 Mark II or something.

The FX8 MkI is currently not running firmware that will open a preset from the current Beta firmware running on the FX8 MKII.

There you have it, technically the person was right saying he could not open my file. The product is not out yet to the public, but will be compatible upon release. That's fantastic! I did not post this for malicious reasons. I really enjoy my FX8 so much I am thinking of switching to AXE FX II. I posted this because the person who has this has some awesome tones and they do not own an FX8. I wanted him to tweak my preset for me and he could not. Lets face it Fractal has the best products on the market and I think most people know that

Last edited by a moderator:
The FX8 MkI is currently not running firmware that will open a preset from the current Beta firmware running on the FX8 MKII. This is not because the two models are incompatible, but because the MKII is running a new revision of firmware. When the MKII is officially released, corresponding MKI firmware will be released, and the two will be 100% compatible.

Hmm, it must be a serious change in hardware side , why is current FW cannot load on to the MKIIC,if there is only cosmetic adjustment

Is there anywhere condensed information about the main differences between FX8 and the FX MII? Or can this be said in two sentences...? I always look for the latest and best possible live tone.

Admin M:

"The two units, FX8 and FX8 Mark II require different firmware. Two key differences explain why: (1) The Extra input pad needs to be settable on one unit and not the other. (2) The Footswitches are numbered differently based on customer feedback. Therefore, it is extremely important that the decision about which firmware to install not be ambiguous. Customers not familiar with the product history should have an easy time of it. Sure, we could have called it the FX8-B (or anything else) but the terminology "Mark II" is one we've used before for similar changes, so this is a consistent naming increment, and we wanted it to stand out on."

Source:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FX8_multi-effects_pedalboard#FX8_Mark_II

Ok thanks. My heart always jumps when I hear about fractal's product updates and I was close to put my name on the wait list but then I thought...

...wait a minute. The MII will not make any difference in usability or tone in my rig, right? Will it affect the quality of my tone that much? I bet no, absolutely not. But there is more guys...

...I have that strange feeling in my stomach... I think it will make me wait for two more years. Two more years with already big sound and effects I already have. I am so sure that within this time we will witness rumors that fractal will be going to present a completely new fx9 with a big touch display, knobs and switches like those on the G System, more space between them and next generation processing. All that with unity gain and hum busting from outer space. And the best is...all that for only 1490 dollars.

...It's only a feeling but...it's so strong
.... ;-))

...Bah... f***! Where is the wait list, I can't wait that long.

Just for the record, I think both units are amazing. Whether you like the brushed chrome or the black, they are both outstanding hardware. I would not look at the Mark I as old, but rather "Classic". How can something be old and less valuable if they continue to release parallel updates. Would you think your current amp, bass, or guitar is no longer as good just because the manufacturer released a new model with some changes small or not? And by the way, all of the changes were based on customer feedback. This does not happen anymore with hardware or software companies. Kudos to them for listening at all. I am a software engineer, and I can tell you that there are always changes that take lots of time to get right that the end user is never aware of. What sometime looks like small changes can be in fact rather large behind the scenes. The fact that Fractal has made the presets interchangeable as well as switching the block location automatically for the user shows a lot of time and effort went into the "small" changes. Instead of nitpicking about the changes you should be happy that the company is trying to move the products forward with user input in an industry that is known for not giving a crap. As another poster said, it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I feel both sides here. Happy they have made minor improvements and lowered the price point. Bitter that i am stuck with mk1 devalued garbage, lol. mk1 still sounds fantastic with my OR100 & evh 50w, so I'll keep rocking it... just wish it worked with my Diezel

What's the EU price going to be... I didn't realize they'd chopped the price... Have a feeling I'm gonna have to take a big loss on my mk1... Just had another offer of €1000... Which is €600 less than I paid a few months back.... I didn't cop that they'd lowered the price dramatically and now that they have - which is great but of course that does really destroy the value of the mk1... I HOPE the bright spot is that the AX8 MK2 is gonna be coming out soon as be a lot cheaper as well... Because we were always told that they basically cost the same to make. So maybe this is just an economy of scale price cut... Which would be great for me... If it happens soon.

Don't take a lowball offer as an indication of value. The value of your unit will not be "destroyed."

Don't take a lowball offer as an indication of value. The value of your unit will not be "destroyed."
It's the second lowball offer I've had, where the person mentioned the MK2... I initially thought it was only because they thought the MK2 was newer (and I still think that's why the first guy did it), but this guy mentioned the price drop to me... in Europe they're about 1800USD new... or they were. And the second guy was wondering why I was asking for more than they are new... so basically unless I'm selling the "jump the queue" aspect of buying mine I can't sell it for more than a new MK2, and really I can't sell it for more than a very nice used MK2, because that's the new market value... urgh... and because I'm selling it to buy an AX8 because my gig changed... and those are 1900USD in europe, I'm basically gonna have to spend 900 euro to buy something which started out 100 euro cheaper, because of the MK2.... or maybe just buy an amplifire and keep the FX8... I don't know...

It's too soon to know for sure how the market will settle, but an offer is just an offer. It doesn't establish a selling price. A couple of guys saw an opening and made their pitch.

It's too soon to know for sure how the market will settle, but an offer is just an offer. It doesn't establish a selling price. A couple of guys saw an opening and made their pitch.
Sure sure... But you must see my point.

If Fractal starts selling them for 4-500 cheaper then that's the baseline I could ever hope to sell my used one for. IMO. And likely I'd have to knock 10-20% off that price if it's like any other gear...and that would leave me a LONG way from an AX8.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But Fractal gear still holds value better than just about any other tech out there. Witness cell phones, computers, cars... It'd still be cool if they came out with an AX8 version 2 next year that puts my AX8 to shame for half the price.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But Fractal gear still holds value better than just about any other tech out there. Witness cell phones, computers, cars... It'd still be cool if they came out with an AX8 version 2 next year that puts my AX8 to shame for half the price.
yeah... and in fairness if I just had the cash I'd keep them both... it's just my situation that makes this annoying... it's worth the money I spent...

Reactions: Rex
Don't care what they call it, in my eyes they need to do MORE to the new model before even calling a MK2 - have no issue with the MK2 name, just the minimal amount of new features that you would "expect" in a new MK designation.

FX8 (Rev.B) could have been better, because thats all it is.....an original FX8 with a few revisions, not a whole new model - anyone not aware of this would think that the MK2 is drastically improved...its not.

I would expect a MK2 to have extra CPU, more switches/simultaneous effects, relays etc etc - not the same unit in a different colour with a few subtle operational tweaks..

Like I say, my opinion and thats it, not worth a damn...

I don't get the whole problem that people are having. I have Axe-Fx Mark 1 and am just fine with it. Mk 2, if I remember right, added a new connector which I didn't need. Should I be angry about that? I didn't care... Mk 3 was a bigger change and I have a choice to upgrade or not. I bought an Ax8 instead. You should be happy that it is so minor and you don't feel compelled to upgrade. They are adding features that some users want. If you aren't one of them, then you don't need to upgrade. Seems simple to me.

I don't get the whole problem that people are having. I have Axe-Fx Mark 1 and am just fine with it. Mk 2, if I remember right, added a new connector which I didn't need. Should I be angry about that? I didn't care... Mk 3 was a bigger change and I have a choice to upgrade or not. I bought an Ax8 instead. You should be happy that it is so minor and you don't feel compelled to upgrade. They are adding features that some users want. If you aren't one of them, then you don't need to upgrade. Seems simple to me.
I'm not trying to upgrade. I'm trying to get a fair price for it so I can buy an AX8.

Last edited:
i genuinely think the new one doesn't look as good as the original, i much prefer the brushed chrome to the all black design

Agree. I prefer the looks of my Mk I and don't care about the new features, so I'll stand pat. It's annoying to have it devalued only a year after I bought it. But I have no plans to sell it, so for the moment it's only a loss on paper.

The new version is a non-issue for me, as long as Fractal continues to support the two units with parallel updates.

I, as others, prefer the brushed aluminum look of my MK1, and the paint graphic changes don't matter to me. It's already super quiet and I use guitars with medium to low-output pups, so I don't need more headroom. I'm completely happy with my MK1, and wouldn't trade it in unless Fractal released the "FX8 Ultra" with unlimited CPU processing power. :)

Back
Top Bottom