FX8 Manual Question > Amp Relays

I used the FX8 today with my Mark 5:25 and very quickly setup a patch to control both the channel selection and the EQ. Worked great and very easy to setup and use. Using fX8 edit it is easy to switch between the modes of the relay and see what does what. For this amp, tip is channel select and ring is EQ.

Thanks for answer...
I confirm, I use MIDI to switch the channels of my JVM410H.
Relays don't work, the JVM410H use a specific footswitch.

The FX8 will short tip-to-sleeve, ring-to-sleeve, or both. The circuit is designed to handle 200mA of current. If the current generated by that voltage drop is 200mA or less, then the FX8 will not have a problem. So, I hate to push back on Orange, but you will need to verify with them.

I too contacted Orange in regards to what cables were needed and also if the voltage drop (for the LED on the orange footswitch) was 200mA or less. Their response was "use regular instrument cables..." Guess that solves it. I would go by this and the comment previously made that tip-to-sleeve would be appropriate, for the FX8.

So...using regular instrument cables for relays is safe and works with Orange, such as my OR100?
I contact Orange 2-3 days ago and received no response.

So...using regular instrument cables for relays is safe and works with Orange, such as my OR100?
I contact Orange 2-3 days ago and received no response.
A regular instrument cable appears to work when using their footswitch. My understanding is you'll still need to use a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable since the FX8's jacks are TRS jacks. If you use an instrument cable, TS (Tip Sleeve), you'll have a constant Ring to Sleeve short.

EDIT, with foot in mouth - TS cable will work with the FX8 but still make sure of the type of channel switching the amp uses. I'll be leaving now.......

Last edited:
A regular instrument cable appears to work when using their footswitch. My understanding is you'll still need to use a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable since the FX8's jacks are TRS jacks. If you use an instrument cable, TS (Tip Sleeve), you'll have a constant Ring to Sleeve short.
The FX8 Relays are TRS because you have two relay connections. Tip-to-Sleeve and Ring-to-Sleeve. My caution here is as it always is. Please understand how you are connecting up your amp to these relays, as it is possible damage your amp, the FX8, or both.

The FX8 Relays are TRS because you have two relay connections. Tip-to-Sleeve and Ring-to-Sleeve. My caution here is as it always is. Please understand how you are connecting up your amp to these relays, as it is possible damage your amp, the FX8, or both.
Exactly, I apologize for not qualifying my comment by first making sure the amp in question does is in fact have short to sleeve switching.

Please understand how you are connecting up your amp to these relays, as it is possible damage your amp, the FX8, or both.
I don't understand, lol!
I'm pretty sure OR100 relays are the same as Rockerverb, Dual Dark, etc.
I hope someone who is using one of these amps to confirm that it is safe and what exact cable I need.
After much googling, it seems as though Fractal and Orange are just throwing the answer back and forth to each other without providing the answer I need. Orange not answering my email is a problem. I would have bought another one of their amps but now feel unloved by them.

Hey guys, okay first of all, i don't own a mesa or orange amp, i just own a Bugera(can't afford the high end amp) but the Bugera it self is using a 5 pin din for the footswitch jack, i recently just did my own 5 pin to a stereo jack for the relay on the fx8. But i just can get it to change just two channels though, still have to figure it out for it to change to one more channel.

Here's what i did, first you need to check the footswitch of your amp and see what cables and resistor are they using for the amp switching channel. As for my amp the clean channel need a 100k resistor, crunch 1k resistor, lead 3.3k resistor. And you need to find out which cable are the power to power up the channel switching(which usually are white for most connection that i know though) and im not an expert to be honest, so u will have to find the diagram first.

2nd, you need to find out which cable are used to switch channel to 1st,2nd or 3rd channel. Then just use that cable and solder it to tip or ring to a 1/4" stereo jack.

3rd, assuming the power cable are white, you need to split them (depends on how many channel your amp have) and solder a resistor(check them first with a mulimeter on the footswitch) and just solder it to each ring and tip. And done.

Hopefully this helps.

I don't understand, lol!
I'm pretty sure OR100 relays are the same as Rockerverb, Dual Dark, etc.
I hope someone who is using one of these amps to confirm that it is safe and what exact cable I need.
After much googling, it seems as though Fractal and Orange are just throwing the answer back and forth to each other without providing the answer I need. Orange not answering my email is a problem. I would have bought another one of their amps but now feel unloved by them.

I'm using a TRS cable for my Orange Rockerverb 100 DIVO relays. It has been working great. Orange confirmed to me that they are short-to-sleeve switching.

Thanks!
Wouldn't a TS cable work too (that's what I use currently with my OR footswitch)? Does it matter in this case?
If you use a TS, you are loosing out on the second relay within the hookup.

You should use a TRS -> TS, TR Y insert cable to allow you to use more than one function per input, should you want to control 4 relays at once (which I do)

Interesting...so on the OR100, there are 3:
  • Channel (clean/hi gain)
  • Gain Boost (on/off)
  • Global volume Boost (on/off)

So in this case,I really only need the 2- global volume boost is cool but can be done with the fx8 levels

If I am reading this right, the only advantage then is one less cable (?)

If you had a single trs with a 2 button switch, you could control Channel and Gain boost using 1 relay output, and a trs cable. You could then setup a single button for global volume boost, and have a 'spare' relay for the future, or another pedal or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom