Fx8 at gig

Then I got my FX8 invite and it's working fantastic for me as a pedals replacement. I'm not a super heavy effects user, I'm mostly about the guitar and amp tones, but I rely heavily on the FX8 drives. The G3 drives are sweet.. we need MORE of them!

Yeah, keep em coming. Just post your presets to the sticky FX8 exchange thread. I´m curious. ;-)

We need more good drive pedal models in the firmware, not more presets. IMO.

I've never got too much value from other guys presets, even on the Axe-Fx, since everyone dials things differently. But especially on FX8, everything I've dialed in is specific to how it sounds through MY amp, with my guitar in front.

Preset sharing is great for insight into how people route stuff and set things though... Let me know if you still want mine.

You're absolutely right. I realized I could not use settings from other folks here, even have to adjust a lot when going from my 25 watter to my 12 watter.
Still, I'm interested to learn how you set up your signal path. Your presets are welcome. New drives even more :)

Hey, I should say.. I realize a LOT has changed with cab sims since I last gave FRFR a serious try (UR IRs, De-Phase control... not to mention Quantum). Perhaps I should give it another try. However, one big argument guys always use is "FRFR is the sound of a miked cab, and that's what your audience hears". Except I'm not playing in stadiums, I'm a weekender playing mostly pubs and small rooms. Yes, my cab is usually miked through the PA to supplement, but the backline sound right from the stage is often most prominent. So a big part of the audience hears guitar from the same source I do.. my cab on stage. The PA is mostly for vocals in a small room. And unless I'm on a really big stage I rarely put guitar into my monitor wedge in front of me.. just vocals. I hear plenty of guitar right from my cab.

I'm with you on this issue.. But granted I know nothing about playing on an FRFR setup. But regardless of lack of knowledge I still have an opinion. It seems like if your are using a real cab and it sounds good.. What's wrong with mic'ing that? That way you are hearing what foh is sending minus any sound man tweaks. It seems like running a separate path with a cab sim to go direct to foh is needlessly complicated. Ok, now the people that know what they are talking about can correct me

first thing- don't use the presets. most of them sound terrible to me and didn't work with my setup (a 1x12 redplate blackloop amp). jlynnb1 is correct- there's no way you can tweak at bedroom levels and expect it to react the same way on a gig with a full band at performance levels. you will need to tweak at performance volume WITH the amp that you will be using live. even then, you will probably have to do a fair amount of tweaking (especially general mix levels and EQ on your drive blocks) on the gig in between/during songs since there is no way to replicate playing with a live band when you are alone at home. i've been gigging constantly with the FX8 since the first week it was released at it sounds pretty excellent!

Yeah, I agree. Most of the presets aren't great

Just fired it up and will need to start creating some of my own from scratch. From the little I've played around with it so far, I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds.
It's SUPER quiet 4cm in to my amp.

Yeah, I agree. Most of the presets aren't great

Just fired it up and will need to start creating some of my own from scratch. From the little I've played around with it so far, I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds.
It's SUPER quiet 4cm in to my amp.

How are you getting your rig quite? I am using the humbusters cables but my channel 3 MB MARK V hisses like a pissed off cat. Any pointers?

How are you getting your rig quite? I am using the humbusters cables but my channel 3 MB MARK V hisses like a pissed off cat. Any pointers?

I have it hooked up 4cm with humbusters to my Mark V:25. Didn't really do anything else. It's quiet.

Are you using humbusters for the following connections?;

FX8 Out (Pre) -> Amp Input
FX8 Out (Post) -> Amp FX Return

I have it hooked up 4cm with humbusters to my Mark V:25. Didn't really do anything else. It's quiet.

Are you using humbusters for the following connections?;

FX8 Out (Pre) -> Amp Input
FX8 Out (Post) -> Amp FX Return

Yes. Pre-out black end @ FX8 to front of amp. Post-out black end @ FX8 to Amp return. Both blue ends are at amp.

Anyone tried the fx8 with tech21 blonde direct (without amp) when live? Haw its sounds with the band? Better than with real amp or not? Noisy or not?

Anyone tried the fx8 with tech21 blonde direct (without amp) when live? Haw its sounds with the band? Better than with real amp or not? Noisy or not?

We don't know pricing on the AX8 yet, but I'd much rather spend a few hundred more than an FX8 to get an AX8, for a full selection of Fractal-quality Quantum modeling and user IRs, versus spending $169 more to add a Tech 21 character pedal to the FX8. FX8 is fine-tuned for use with tube amps. Just my $0.02.

Second gig yesterday and the fx8 did sounds good. I was using my fender jag avri62. I was only using presets in bank A which I tweak while playing. I also tweak the global eq. Nice result.

We don't know pricing on the AX8 yet, but I'd much rather spend a few hundred more than an FX8 to get an AX8, for a full selection of Fractal-quality Quantum modeling and user IRs, versus spending $169 more to add a Tech 21 character pedal to the FX8. FX8 is fine-tuned for use with tube amps. Just my $0.02.

Yes you're right, I better keep using it with my tube amp. But I'm thinking to get the tech21 for recording direct simplicity. Rather than mic'ing my fender hr deville 410. Any suggestion for recording?

Sorry to ask the question but I am brand new to the Fractal world ans I saw many messages where G3 was mentionned, what does it mean? Thanks

My latest gig with the FX8 was Saturday in front of 220 people. My rig sounded killer as ever! But that's mainly about the guitar/amp/cab. The FX8 is really just the icing on the cake.

FX8 is just, of course, a box full of FX models. The way I evaluated was to compare, one-to-one, each effect type to my favorite stompboxes of every effect I use. Fractal's models, in every case, are equal or superior for me. I knew that going in, since I have an Axe-Fx too :) The verbs, delays and time based mod fx are way better than anything I ever owned in stompbox form. I still have some very nice drive stomps, and I was slightly iffy about the Fractal ones in comparison.. until G3 update happened. Now the G3 drives are perfect, I only wish there were a few more of them to choose from.

So in terms of sonic capability I have no compromise, only improvement in most cases. Add to that the value of zero-noise routing (compared to physical cables), presets to save multiple routings/settings and just having a whole high end pedalboard in one sturdy box. I love it!

DEAD quiet in my mark iv. less noise in the loop than ever before. Still use a Decimator 2 G-String as the first send item for amp noise.

I'm with you on this issue.. But granted I know nothing about playing on an FRFR setup. But regardless of lack of knowledge I still have an opinion. It seems like if your are using a real cab and it sounds good.. What's wrong with mic'ing that? That way you are hearing what foh is sending minus any sound man tweaks. It seems like running a separate path with a cab sim to go direct to foh is needlessly complicated. Ok, now the people that know what they are talking about can correct me

I use a MB Cabclone FOH he seams happy. I have heard that Mark Tremonti runs AXE FX to FOH only for the crowd and real amp onstage.

I added a GATE at the end of my loop bank 8 quieted it down Ch#3 some. still experimenting. I am going to change all pre amp tubes to compare.

Hi there
Just used my FX8 for a gig for the first time over weekend
Straight into a 30w Ullbrick- no effects loop
It was great--never missed a beat
Took me about 4 hours to get the sounds right.
I was a bit unsure about od's (mainly bbe and zen or acboost)
Something like harsh breakup especially when Od stacking
Nearly considered just going back to pedals for the gig and sort it out afterwards--so I tried the pedal equivalent-- and guess what---the same sound that was annoying me was present
So went back to fx8,tweaked the amp and the sound was great just really using Wah,drive1,drive2,comp,pitch transposer with x/y,delay,reverb,PEQ as a boost
Never missed a beat and levels were great
I'm currently using second mod pedal as an overall volume to dial just the right volume in as a baseline
I was very happy with my sound

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom