Fx3 and the real marshall jubilee

Nope. I never try to match amps with controls at noon. Pots used in amps have huge tolerances, so noon on one amp can be a 4 or 6 on another amp. Also resistors and capacitors can have wide tolerances. Couple reasons you can have two amps of the same model that sound different.

I just set the Jubilee 2525H where I like it, tweaked the Brit Silver model until I got close, then did the tone match.

The settings on my Jubilee 2525H were:
Presence - 4
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treble - 5
Output Master - 6
Lead Master - 10
Input Gain - 4
Amp was on the lead channel with rhythm clip off.

I used an IR I made of my Jubilee 2536A 2x12 captured with a Shure 545SD mic where the cap meets the cone on the bottom speaker.

I don't have a Jubilee, but for the amps I do have, IME the Fractal tone stack knobs match up well with the real amp. The gain knob: no so much (often times the model has more gain, less often it has less); and the master is its own animal.

I recorded something with that model and the engineer said that was a great sounding Jube. When I told him thanks and actually that was my AXFX he later told me it sounded nothing like a SJ! If I played shred on a jazz box and made it sound great people would say it doesn't shred, so the answer has always been with the eyes in many ways. Yes, things sound different to people but lots of times it is some external variable more so than anything else - at any given point in time. Tommy Emmanuel once stated he used three brands of strings because on any given night they could make his guitar sound different. He may have overlooked that maybe his ears received the sound different on certain nights? I don't know the complete answer, but I can say the AX is a much more reliable device in 2021 than owning and maintaining a SJ, unless you just don't care in which I would say buy them both. I like the fact that if my EVH doesn't sound right to me for some reason and I can go to a mesa instantly and change the character of what I am going for. It is a good thing and over time more and more folks will embrace the "fear" of OMG, I need a real amp to get my sound! Work on your technique, practice hard and the device will help to accent all of that!

Heres a quick mix of a test track. Just a few loops and some canned bass with it.

Fractal L=R spdif into interface, WOS.

2555 amp into Torpedo reload into interface, same WOS setting.

Rhythms switch back and forth a LOT.

Leads are both and parts are intentionally repetitive to show contrast.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApE2V-CSp5JexTi_Qxv9T7vPKK5e?e=zUvWEb

Like I feel about every other sound comparison, do I hear a difference? Yea, a little. Do I hear a difference in a mix? Naaah. Do I hear enough of a difference to make me go out and hunt down a 30 year old overpriced amp? Definitely naaah. I prefer to keep my Fractal and go to jamaica an extra time next year. All this tone chasing is REALLY not that serious.

This test reinforces the fact that I really dont get the jube hype lol. Not sure what anyone is after with this amp but there are SOOOOOOOOO many better choices on the market today. Just my opinion.

For every riff the first is the real one, i'm pretty sure, correct?
Only the last riff/example is the head first. The more open high end is the fractal.

In fairness I spent very little time dialing in and still got close. If this were a production, I know I can get this spot on.

Attachments

• 91BEBF5C-B50F-4032-BB1D-BE12ECD17578.jpeg
    91BEBF5C-B50F-4032-BB1D-BE12ECD17578.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 6A045284-9214-4F7B-A82E-EB60496C73A6.jpeg
    6A045284-9214-4F7B-A82E-EB60496C73A6.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 20
In my recorded mix example, blue is the amp and red is the fractal rhythm tracks. Both double tracked and panned hard left/right. Look how many times they switch in and out, never overlapping. In a mix, it simply does not matter.

To answer the OP, get the Jube if you really love it and must have it. There’s nothing wrong with owning the amp. I have maybe a dozen or so 50-100w heads here. If you have an axefxIII, you really don’t need the amps to get the sound. At least not recorded.

None of my amps go out anymore. I gig with an AX8 and it sounds just fine, too.

Attachments

• 74D3F276-004C-4DD4-B565-D0197ED6D126.jpeg
    74D3F276-004C-4DD4-B565-D0197ED6D126.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
Only the last riff/example is the head first. The more open high end is the fractal.

In fairness I spent very little time dialing in and still got close. If this were a production, I know I can get this spot on
This is a big surprise for me , i have had fxIII when it was released but maybe now wuth cygnus sound better.
In the real amp i use the same setting that you show here and to my ears in this case is fxIII sound very good, maybe closer to my amp, can you say the setting in fxIII ?
Thanks

This is a big surprise for me , i have had fxIII when it was released but maybe now wuth cygnus sound better.
In the real amp i use the same setting that you show here and to my ears in this case is fxIII sound very good, maybe closer to my amp, can you say the setting in fxIII ?
Thanks
I really should have screen shot it but I changed it significantly to play the leads. I’m sorry.
I do prefer the model to the real amp, myself. It’s just more useful and seems to have more gain on tap, of course especially when you push the input.
Also in fairness we are talking a 31 year old amp and I’m certain the tolerances are all over the place in comparison to what amp you may have had as well as to the test amp used for the model. I don’t even know what tubes are in this thing. I literally grabbed it off the shelf, it hasn’t been fired up in a couple years now.

i have had fxIII when it was released but maybe now wuth cygnus sound better
There have been a couple of firmware updates prior to Cygnus that 'improved' the feel and response of the amps in the Axe III. Cygnus took those improvements even further. If you stopped using the Axe III prior to FW 9.00, you definitely owe it to yourself to try one again.

All this talk about one jubilee sounding different from another gave me an epiphany;

I can envision in the axe fx IV a major future where when I select the jubilee, there’s actually like 7 models of it in some sort of sub menu like manner. I envision all the models have several versions modeled.

Imagine having 15 big muffs to try to find the one… probably option overload but it would be easy to just scroll through them and potentially not change any setting.

Maybe I am just stoned lol

Back
Top Bottom