FX Loop issue….how to solve?

So I have some great overdrive pedals that I feel I just cannot clone in the Axe FX2 so i run them through the loop before the amp block and it sounds great. As I have found driving the front end of the Axe's input naturally sounds horrible and not like a real nap because its digital the fx loop before the amp block works best for me. Here is the dilemma, I have a Strymon Timeline and El Cap delay that I want to run in stereo almost last in line (after the amp block and right before verb) because no matter how hard Ive dialed I can't get the Axe's delays to come close to the Strymon. Now since the Axe FX2 only has one FX loop am I just gonna have to choose between drive pedals or delays or is there some alternate work around?

Any advice would be awesome, Thanks:)

I understand, I have a Timeline as well. It sounds like you would be better served by using Input 1 on the back of the unit instead of the front INSTR Input. I use my Timeline in the FX Loop using a mixer via Aux 2 so it's in parallel, but not true stereo, mono send stereo return with killdry on.

Your only choices are in the FX loop or at the end, but I'm not going to run my Timeline into my Bigsky. As well, this is where I like to go XLR out to amplification so no Timeline there either. I like that you can put the FX loop anywhere you like, and I think they should have put in two :)

There is a workaround that allows two (mono) effects loops, you might want to try that out:

Place your mono effects in the grid, connected to input.
Balance them fully to the left.
Place an FXL block for the drive pedals.
After the FXL, place a VOL block and set its channel select to left.
Put your AMP and CAB block after it (you can save one VOL block by using the channel select of the AMP block, but I think it's a bad practice if you want to make changes later and forget about it).
After the AMP/CAB block, put your SND block; make sure you only feed the right channel to the SND block (balance the last block fully right or place another VOL - the left channel MUST be totally silent or it doesn't work!).
Place the RTN before the FXL, fully balanced right.
Place a VOL after the FXL in parallel to the other VOL, select only the right channel.
Place your stereo effects after it.
Connect it to the Output.

You basicly now have two seperate mono effects loops. The first is before the AMP (In and Out 2 Left), the second is after the amp (In and Out 2 Right).

Hope that helps.

Make sure to test that at extremely low volumes, so that if you make a mistake and create a feedback loop you dont damage your speakers!

Attachments

• doubled FXL.jpg
    doubled FXL.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Do all of you who use the FX loop have the output 2 hiss/noise mod done? I have some external pedals that I use together with my Axe fx but I don't use the FX loop at all because the noise is unworkable for me. Thinking of sending my Axe fx to G66. Problem is that I can't miss it for two weeks.
I think newer machines have this mod already as default?

Btw: Dweezil Zappa is running all his pedals straight in the front input of the Axe fx. And he has a lot of extra pedals including delays and drives.

Last edited:
So I have some great overdrive pedals that I feel I just cannot clone in the Axe FX2 so i run them through the loop before the amp block and it sounds great. As I have found driving the front end of the Axe's input naturally sounds horrible and not like a real nap because its digital the fx loop before the amp block works best for me. Here is the dilemma, I have a Strymon Timeline and El Cap delay that I want to run in stereo almost last in line (after the amp block and right before verb) because no matter how hard Ive dialed I can't get the Axe's delays to come close to the Strymon. Now since the Axe FX2 only has one FX loop am I just gonna have to choose between drive pedals or delays or is there some alternate work around?

Any advice would be awesome, Thanks:)

whether you go in the front input or the rear input 2, it is still digital and is still using the same type of A/D converters. Not only that but in the fx loop it has to go thru 2 conversions instead of just one (one to convert the signal to analog and go to the pedal, and then convert the signal from the pedal back to digital going back into the axe-fx). The front input can actually handle drive pedal better than input 2 (fx loop). It has a soft limiter that keeps the front input from digital clipping. You should be able to use the front input for the drives and the fx loop for other effects. If it isn't working then I would recheck your settings.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom