FX Loop in stereo

Timo

Inspired
When trying to insert a H9 in the FX Loop it's just in mono.
I tried several cables, etc. when using the pan pot 2 nothing changes in the stereo field.
The outputs in the AX8 are in stereo.
Changing the pan in the Cab does indeed change the stereo field.
It's only the Level 2 pot that works in the FX Loop. But it only sends in mono when trying to pan.
And I can only recieve from input 1 on the backside.
What am I missing?

loop.png

Last edited:
I try to insert a H9 in the FX Loop. But its just in mono - i can only get the channel 2 to work in mono, I tried several cables, etc. when using the pan pot nothing changes in the stereo field.
The outputs in the AX8 are in stereo.
Changing the pan in the Cab does indeed change the stereo field.
Actually I only get the Level 2 pot + input to work in FX Loop. But only in mono when trying to pan.
What am I missing?

View attachment 42107

At the the amp (and the drive) block the signal collapses to mono.

Last edited:
At the the amp (and the drive) block the signal defaults to mono.
The Drive is in stereo, but the amps input selector sums L+R. Can I avoid that?
Anyway: when putting the FX Loop at the very end of everything - the same problem still remains. Just mono.

mono.png

Drive block is mono, like amp block.

Set the FX Loop "pan 2" parameter to 0 (center). The other pan controls aren't relevant. In I/O menu verify all input/output modes = stereo.

Ok, now the pan 2 is in the center. Still mono.
when panning the CAB block everything still in mono.
I cant find any I/O modes in FXLoop or in the Output. Is there hidden instances?
Skärmavbild 2017-10-08 kl. 10.05.06.png

THE I/O MENU
The I/O menu is accessed by tapping the SETUP button and then pressing footswitch 2.
That's it! Does that setting work globally?
I would really like to handle all the settings in the AX8 from the software ..

How do you handle the lack of stereo with a FX before the amp - I dont' really enjoy beeing forced to use a stereo echo after the amp. Reverb and stuff is great but .. Are we forced to buy a bigger Axe-Fx to use 2 amps, or are there stereo amps hidden somewhere?

Last edited:
How do you handle the lack of stereo with a FX before the amp - I dont' really enjoy beeing forced to use a stereo echo after the amp. Reverb and stuff is great but .. Are we forced to buy a bigger Axe-Fx to use 2 amps, or are there stereo amps hidden somewhere?
It's no different from a real amp. You can put all the stereo effect pedals you want in front of a real amp; you'll still get mono out of the amp.

If you have to preserve stereo through the amp, you need two amps. The Axe-Fx has two amp blocks. The AX8 doesn't.

It's no different from a real amp. You can put all the stereo effect pedals you want in front of a real amp; you'll still get mono out of the amp.

If you have to preserve stereo through the amp, you need two amps. The Axe-Fx has two amp blocks. The AX8 doesn't.
Yes. I understand the part with the 2 amps. But still it is a amp modeller we are talking about that makes the amp thinking kind of stoneage. The amp could very well be stereo all the way. As well as you are able to x/y. That would be impossible IRL without the hardware. The stereo possibilities would be nice me thinks. The Times They Are A-Chaaaaaaaa-aaaangin' :)

Yes. I understand the part with the 2 amps. But still it is a amp modeller we are talking about that makes the amp thinking kind of stoneage. The amp could very well be stereo all the way. As well as you are able to x/y. That would be impossible IRL without the hardware. The stereo possibilities would be nice me thinks. The Times They Are A-Chaaaaaaaa-aaaangin' :)
Yes, but the price is not a-chaaaa-aaaangin', :)

Amp modeling is by far the most CPU-intensive thing that the AX8 does. And a stereo amp block means two amp blocks running simultaneously, even if you call them a single block. That would require more processors (higher cost and larger size) or more powerful processors (higher cost and active cooling (which also costs more and further increases size)).

The AX8'was designed for live use on a stage. When Fractal designed it, they aimed for portability and an accessible price point that was about $1000 less than the flagship Axe-Fx. Something had to go, and sound quality was not going to be one of those things. So they did away with the second Amp block.

If you want stereo amps, you'll have to buy another AX8 (in the real,world, you'd have to buy a second amp, and you wouldn't get all the effects and "times a-changin'" routing and control options that come along with it)...or buy the flagship model.

Back
Top Bottom