FX block bypass state changes overall volume

killerburst

So here's a weird one maybe someone else would be kind enough to check on and let me know if what I'm experiencing is S.O.P.

I have a simple patch consisting of amp-cab-output, plus a parallel line from cab output to delay block, and a second parallel line from cab out to reverb, all 3 parallel lines merging in the output block. The delay and reverb blocks are both set to mix 100% and I control the effect level by adjusting the effect block level control. Similar to a wet/dry parallel rig in the non-virtual world. I would expect to hear no difference between the delay and reverb blocks bypassed versus both blocks (or either one) engaged but with the level at 0% or -inf (whatever the label is, can't recall right now). However, I hear a significant volume drop (>6dB) with either effect block engaged, and even more of a drop with both blocks engaged (again output levels are at 0%, so they are not outputting any signal). I've tried this in stereo and dual mono with I/O set to copy L->R engaged, as well as just using the left out into a single speaker.

So to recap, I'm expecting an effect (in parallel with the dry sound) with its level off to be sonically identical to that effect block being bypassed, but instead I'm hearing a significant volume drop. Anybody else find this to be the case?

killerburst said:
So here's a weird one maybe someone else would be kind enough to check on and let me know if what I'm experiencing is S.O.P.

I have a simple patch consisting of amp-cab-output, plus a parallel line from cab output to delay block, and a second parallel line from cab out to reverb, all 3 parallel lines merging in the output block. The delay and reverb blocks are both set to mix 100% and I control the effect level by adjusting the effect block level control. Similar to a wet/dry parallel rig in the non-virtual world. I would expect to hear no difference between the delay and reverb blocks bypassed versus both blocks (or either one) engaged but with the level at 0% or -inf (whatever the label is, can't recall right now). However, I hear a significant volume drop (>6dB) with either effect block engaged, and even more of a drop with both blocks engaged (again output levels are at 0%, so they are not outputting any signal). I've tried this in stereo and dual mono with I/O set to copy L->R engaged, as well as just using the left out into a single speaker.

So to recap, I'm expecting an effect (in parallel with the dry sound) with its level off to be sonically identical to that effect block being bypassed, but instead I'm hearing a significant volume drop. Anybody else find this to be the case?

Try setting the bypass mode to mute fx in.

Meaning the volume drop isn't a drop at all, rather the block being on and bypassed it multiplying the direct sound and increasing the volume. That makes sense. Thanks!

killerburst said:
Meaning the volume drop isn't a drop at all, rather the block being on and bypassed it multiplying the direct sound and increasing the volume. That makes sense. Thanks!

Yeah, it takes a little change in thinking compared to a conventional rig. The same thing might happen in a conventional rig if you left the loops on and bypassed the individual effects (if they even have a bypass). On a wishlist long ago I asked Cliff to make a Router block that would have the function of a conventional loop switcher. In the end he just added a bypass mode that gives the same result.

Back
Top Bottom