FX before or after the cab block?

In general I recommend reverb and delay after the cab block primarily to avoid any problems with loss of stereo imaging. If the cab block is mono or the cabs aren't panned fully L/R then you'll lose stereo separation.

I like it both ways, and i do notice a difference, but this might be because of things other than the ir in the cab block, like the high and low-pass filters, motor drive, saturation, and a bit of eq. In other cases its because I'm putting it before more than just the cab. For post punk-y sounds like the smiths, the cure, the chameleons and all that type of stuff, I like putting it before even the amp block sometimes, and sometimes before some of the modulation as . This will obviously get a much grungier, sometimes pretty harsh sound, but if you tune it in right, you can get something like those pleasantly screwed up, "over-produced" (In quotes because i don't think theres a set amount of production one should do) 80's+ tones. I'll usually do this with mid-gain and clean sounds, I don't think I'd recomend it high gain, except maybe for some one-shot crazy fx.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your input. Always learn something new on this forum which is always appreciated.

also, some stuff sounds much different hitting the front end of the amp as opposed to being in the loop...some people love the way an amp can dirty up a signal that already has delay and verb on it. why do you think the Edge ran his SDD's in front? to get that preamp mojo.
This. I'm a big fan of using not synced delays and reverbs before the amp like I usually do with real amps. It's a matter of preference but I prefer to lose stereo width and gain character. Most modern productions use fx after the cab which seems a bit boring and sterile to me.

Back
Top Bottom