Fw18... news?

Wondered who'd get that.

We have F5s at work. Great load balancers, but way more than we need. I think they were purchased solely for the name, and because someone had enough in their budget to afford them.

For how many features we actually use, it would be akin to buying a pair of Axe Fx II XL+ but using them just for EQ.

We have F5s at work. Great load balancers, but way more than we need. I think they were purchased solely for the name, and because someone had enough in their budget to afford them.

For how many features we actually use, it would be akin to buying a pair of Axe Fx II XL+ but using them just for EQ.

I work for a major cable company's IT dept. We have them like cockroaches. But yes, they sell a pile because they work great (even with the pesky DOS attacks every week.)

BACK TO SUBJECT:

I would be nice to hear whether this will drop tonight. It will save Fractal $$$ on bandwidth if we're not going to see it tonight.

I'm not convinced an F5 load balancer can keep up with the amount of F5 currently happening. Even if they are the Axe FX of load balancers.

A load balancer (i.e. F5) will not increase or decrease the amount of pageloads a system can support. It's job it to distribute the requests across a number of servers to help share the load but primarily to provide fault tolerance.
The number of page loads a system can provide is dependent on a multitude of things. It would be the same as replacing one short cable on your pedal board with a bigger one and expecting lots of good things to happen.

If FAS needed the forums to run faster, the usual area is to review the caching service that runs in front of the forums app and the internal vbullitin/php caches. Optimizing the caching service typically gives you a magnitude of speed increase.

IMHO, the website runs fine for the services is provides.

Thank you M@

Last edited:
A load balancer (i.e. F5) will not increase or decrease the amount of pageloads a system can support. It's job it to distribute the requests across a number of servers to help share the load.
The number of page loads a system can provide is dependent on a multitude of things. It would be the same as replacing one short cable on your pedal board with a bigger one and expecting lots of good things to happen.

If FAS needed the forums to run faster, the usual area is to review the caching service that runs in front of the forums app and the internal vbullitin/php caches. Optimizing the caching service typically gives you a magnitude of speed increase.

IMHO, the website runs fine for the services is provides.

Thank you M@tt

I think you took our joke too seriously ;) (back to smashing my F5 key into submission)

Don't get me started on what utter pieces of turd F5s are. Overpriced junk. Can't wait to have them out of our network setup at work...

Back
Top Bottom