FW18: 5153Red

clarky

Axe-Master
just a quick question guys [to confirm I'm hearing / feeling things right]

does the5153Red in FW18 seem a little less gainy / compressed??

I think the volume is just lower at default. Does turning up the Output Level help it seem less compressed? It definitely feels different than blue or green. But isn't that how it was on the real amp?

A little less gain, but imho the "old" red had so much it was useless. Kind of like a JVM :)

But, of course, there is no problem dialing it down.... And now up:D

Maybe a little. I agree with the 'too much gain' point. I had it at 11 o'clock and it was plenty.

But it sounds glorious to me...

it's not a complaint.. more of an observation..
but you know what it's like... "has something actually changed or is my brain messing with me?"

I'm loving the clarity in the tone
but it does fight back a little more, so for shredder types like me [with our light touch] it'll take a little time to adapt..
I guess like all things, it's a trade off between tone and feel..

I've never played through a real 5153 so I've nothing to compare it with..
I've only ever tried a real 5150 Block - which I fell in love with btw..

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that too, posted it on tFB. It seems crunchier but less gainy (at the previous gain level). It reminds me more of the real amp now but I liked it before too. I prefer the 6505 block for heavy though, that one now feels crunchier and thicker (in a good way) to me.

It sounds like a real 5153 now that's for sure! It's also less dark than 17.04. Also, that's why there's a gain knob lol. Personnally I don't find there's less gain, just more definition.

just a quick question guys [to confirm I'm hearing / feeling things right]

does the5153Red in FW18 seem a little less gainy / compressed??

that happened to the pvh6160II but i turned up the master and the drive in my drive pedal and it still sounds clear.

Cliff said it now has the sat switch off by default. Turn it on and put the gain on 6 and its back to gain for days.

One thing I've noticed about this amp is that the Mid knob has a HUGE affect on the tone. You can really notice big differences with small changes. I love this amp :)

Back
Top Bottom