FW18.07b bug - Amp Y-state overdrive set to 10

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Posted this as a reply to a different thread, but nobody seems to be looking at it. I thought I would re-post as a separate, specific bug in hopes of getting more attention. I will basically just re-post what I did here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/96608-possible-bug-fw-18-beta7.html#post1161866

Ok, I have done some further testing and this sure does seem very like the bug affecting Y-state that occurred some FW versions back (as I mentioned in a previous post).

Starting in FW17.03, I took one of my affected presets (#41, AC20) and exported it as AC20-a.

In this preset, amp1/Y is the Triptik Modern with OD set to 2.

I then swapped X and Y on amp2 via Axe Edit, and exported this as AC20-b.

NO other changes made.

Next, I updated to FW18.07b.

Call up the preset #41, change amp1 to Y (Triptik) and OD is set to 10.

Load exported preset AC20-a, change amp1 to Y (Triptik) and OD is set to 10.

Load exported preset AC20-b, amp1 (Triptik) is active and OD is 2 - just like it is supposed to be according to my settings in the preset on FW17.

I am attaching screenshots and preset files.

Hopefully someone can look more seriously at this now.

normal.jpg

View attachment AC20-a.syx

swapped.jpg

View attachment AC20-b.syx

If it is just the OD, obviously I can just reset it in my presets... but my worry is that other amp settings from the Y-state of the block are not correct, or that it affects the Y-state of other blocks besides the amp.

Thanks,

Kevin

I think that's the risk that comes with updating firmware. As long as you can fix it manually, I wouldn't say that this is a real "bug", just an inconsistency between firmwares.

I think that's the risk that comes with updating firmware. As long as you can fix it manually, I wouldn't say that this is a real "bug", just an inconsistency between firmwares.

This is exactly what a bug is! Unexpected behaviour... This should not happen, especially only when relevant to whether the block in X or Y state.

And as stated, I don't know if this is the only affected parameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The active amps in the screen shots are the same amps right?

In the first screen shot the Presence knob is named Hi Cut and the Dynamic Presence is set to 1.
In the second screen shot the Presence knob is labeled Presence and the Dynamic Presence is set to 0.

My first thought is that our current Axe Edit hasn't been updated for FW18. I'd check these parameters from the front panel. If they reflect the same information, with Axe Edit off, I'd import your preset via Fractal Bot and then check the front panel. Maybe this will shed more light on the subject.

The active amps in the screen shots are the same amps right?

In the first screen shot the Presence knob is named Hi Cut and the Dynamic Presence is set to 1.
In the second screen shot the Presence knob is labeled Presence and the Dynamic Presence is set to 0.

My first thought is that our current Axe Edit hasn't been updated for FW18. I'd check these parameters from the front panel. If they reflect the same information, with Axe Edit off, I'd import your preset via Fractal Bot and then check the front panel. Maybe this will shed more light on the subject.

I don't think it's an Axe Edit issue... Axe Edit is showing what is in the preset. The *same* issue happened when just installing FW18... I am just using Axe Edit to demonstrate (visually) the difference.

I think the fact that "Presence" and "Hi Cut" show for the same knob in the different versions is a sign that yet another parameter has changed. I know there is a specific setting that causes the Presence / Hi Cut change but don't remember exactly what it is.

Edit: forgot to answer your first question. Yes, the active amps are the very same. The only difference was whether the amp was in X or Y. See my OP for details.

Last edited:
I had some of the same experience with the Negative Feedback values after upgrading to 18 beta 00 and posted a thread regarding this in the Bugs section
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/96460-negative-feedback.html

Could you please see if also your Negative Feedback values change the same way as mine? A Negative Feedback value of 10 (or anything above zero on an AC20 doesn't seem reasonable. and I found the NF values on all (or at least most) of my "Y" amps set to 10 after the upgrade.

Post edited

Last edited:
I had some of the same experience with the Negative Feedback values after upgrading to 18 beta 00 and posted a thread regarding this in the Bugs section
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/96460-negative-feedback.html

Could you please see if also your Negative Feedback values change the same way as mine? A Negative Feedback value on an AC20 doesn't seem reasonable. and I found the NF values on all (or at least most) of my "Y" amps after the upgrade.

I'll check that tonight. I think I will find that NF will be wrong for me because now that I think about it the Negative Feedback value is the one that impacts whether there is a "Presence" or "Hi Cut" knob. :)

From the wiki, here: AMP parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

## If Negative Feedback (Damping) is zero, Presence turns into a HiCut control.

This would explain that change, which I had missed originally but was pointed out by Narzugon above.

Thanks,

Kevin

Well I just got around to trying FW18.03 and this is still happening. :(

I confirmed that both issues occur on amps in Y-state: OD is 10 and Negative Feedback is set to some non-0 value where it should be 0.

I had PM' M@ a while back and he informed me that Cliff had looked at this post and would address if it was a bug...

And now I have an additional problem: after restoring to 17.03, the amp2/Y on all my presets has changed from Buttery to Vibra King Fat :(

I tried reverting to pre-upgrade backups and those also show the wrong amp...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom